Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By seawright

can get BT Fibre but sky say no after 1year still

This is a discussion on can get BT Fibre but sky say no after 1year still within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi there, BT has had fibre in our area (march,cambs) for some time now, over a year infact. the bt ...

kudos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01354
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

can get BT Fibre but sky say no after 1year still

hi there, BT has had fibre in our area (march,cambs) for some time now, over a year infact. the bt checker has always said i can order it, and the same for other BT fibre resellers, but sky have always told me i cant get it online checker and on the phone, not that the ppl on the phone realy care to look or try much more than a quick check.

is this correct? do sky have to change or do something for them to be able to resell there fibre items? iv been with sky for some years now but if there will be no signs of fibre from them it might be time for a change.

all my neighbours have BTs fibre with no issues since it came into the area/street. i know samknows still says only in some areas.. but iv not realy seen a street with out a fibre cabinet now in the area and our cabnet is just at the top of the street sitting there with a BT engineer at it most days putting lines on.

its the same story for a friends line in the middle of the town.. there we have a BT Fibre line at 80Mb/s and a sky line stuck on ADSL at 20Mb/s

just wanted to find out what the current status of this all is from someone that might know.. i did a quick search but did not realy find much to give a clear answer.

thanks, rob

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: can get BT Fibre but sky say no after 1year still

[PHP]
      Quote Originally Posted by kudos View Post
      hi there, BT has had fibre in our area (march,cambs) for some time now, over a year infact. the bt checker has always said i can order it, and the same for other BT fibre resellers, but sky have always told me i cant get it online checker and on the phone, not that the ppl on the phone realy care to look or try much more than a quick check.

is this correct? do sky have to change or do something for them to be able to resell there fibre items? iv been with sky for some years now but if there will be no signs of fibre from them it might be time for a change.

all my neighbours have BTs fibre with no issues since it came into the area/street. i know samknows still says only in some areas.. but iv not realy seen a street with out a fibre cabinet now in the area and our cabnet is just at the top of the street sitting there with a BT engineer at it most days putting lines on.

its the same story for a friends line in the middle of the town.. there we have a BT Fibre line at 80Mb/s and a sky line stuck on ADSL at 20Mb/s

just wanted to find out what the current status of this all is from someone that might know.. i did a quick search but did not realy find much to give a clear answer.

thanks, rob
      The only answer would be that you are in a BT Openreach FTTP [Fibre To The Property] (trial?) area and Sky do not have a FTTP product.
      Sky only do FTTC [Fibre To The Cabinet] products, currently.

There are other providers that re-sell FTTP but Sky isn't one of them.

If you put your postcode into BT's online checker, are you offered Infinity 3 or 4? These are FTTP products and would confirm this diagnosis.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      [PHP]

If you put your postcode into BT's online checker, are you offered Infinity 3 or 4? These are FTTP products and would confirm this diagnosis.
      From http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk
      Exchange name: March
      Great news. Superfast Fibre is in your area and your cabinet is enabled and accepting orders. Contact your preferred communications provider for your home or business to order.

from
      http://www.productsandservices.bt.com
      Yes!
      You can get superfast BT Infinity FIBRE BROADBAND
      You could get

79Mb-80Mb Estimated download speed range*
      BT Infinity 1 +
      BT Infinity 2 +

this is what it has always said while sky have always said other wise with there checker, if i use other fttc isp's they say the same thing as bt

Thanks

Hi,
      thanks for the reply

from, productsandservices.bt.com

BTs website says
      Yes!
      You can get superfast BT Infinity FIBRE BROADBAND
      You could get

79Mb-80Mb
      Infinity 1
      Infinity 2

from the area checker on superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when
      Exchange name: March
      status: Accepting ordersGreat news. Superfast Fibre is in your area and your cabinet is enabled and accepting orders. Contact your preferred communications provider for your home or business to order.

rob

Thanks

Just to add some info from the dslchecker.bt.com
      address is to cab 3 March
      FTTC Range A (Clean)
      DOWN H=80 L=79.8
      UP H=20 L=20

FTTC Range B (Impacted)
      DOWN H=80 L=70.2
      UP H=20 L=17.7

see image here
      Imagebin - Somewhere to Store Random Things

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'm guessing that Sky have insufficient backhaul capacity to provide FTTC at March exchange. All the equipment to provide FTTC is owned and managed by Openreach and would be connected to Sky's broadband network at a "Point of Handover" where communication providers purchase GEA Cablelink/s to connect their backhaul with Openreach's level 2 switch.

If Sky have insufficient backhaul they may be delaying doing this as the extra traffic generated by FTTC would have an adverse effect on Sky's existing ADSL connections.

mrbmrb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMLGS
      Router: Sky SR102
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Is there any update on whether it is possible to obtain a likely date (even if only a rough idea) for Sky to enable fibre in my area (CMLGS exchange), given that I know BT and TalkTalk etc. already offer it to my house?
      Customer Services say they only have a postcode checker with a yes/no response, and say that "Sky have not yet taken over that line - not a strong enough connection in that area" i.e. I'm guessing that means (as per previous post) they don't have enough backhaul capacity, so they just recommend to call again next month. :-(

All I could find was a link to register interest at Sky Broadband - Fibre optic broadband - Register your interest today.
      I'd like fibre pretty soon and obviously don't want to sign up to a more expensive provider only to find out afterwards that Sky have just enabled it!

Thanks

There shouldn't be any problem getting Sky Fibre on lines connected to CMLGS exchange unless it is a capacity issue related to your street cabinet. Do you know which cabinet you are connected to?

Have you made any changes to products on your Sky account within the last month?

Have you checked BTs Broadband Availability Address checker at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome recently? If so what FTTC download speed does it say you are likely to get?

mrbmrb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMLGS
      Router: Sky SR102
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

I'm a new Sky broadband cust - about a month. I've actually had TalkTalk fibre running at over 70Mbps earlier this year but it ended up too expensive so I switched back to ADSL via Sky. Now Sky fibre is much cheaper I wanted to go back to fibre again and it's very disappointing to discover that Sky can't offer it yet, despite the local infrastructure being in place.

The BT checker reports that it's not a BT line (natch) as it's Sky and the postcode checker reports this (not sure what it means though in terms of fibre):

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
      WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 15 -- 8.5 to 19 Available
      ADSL Max Up to 7 -- 6 to 8 Available
      WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
      Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
      Other Offerings
      Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I tried the address checker which is more accurate:

Address xxxx on Exchange LEAMINGTON SPA is served by Cabinet 7
      Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
      High Low High Low
      FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 73.4 20 20 -- Available
      FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 69.6 20 19 -- Available
      WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
      WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
      ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
      WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
      Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
      Other Offerings
      FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
      Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
      Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Thanks

Just tried a Sky Fibre order with an address ( NAD Key A00019316968 District ID CM) which gives similar results to yours.
      The order would be accepted for a new customer moving into the property so I can only assume that as you have had Sky broadband for less than 1 month there is still activity on the account preventing a new order being placed.

I would continue to try, on a daily basis, to order Sky Fibre online and if after seven days your order has still been unsuccessful give Sky a phone call. Ask the agent to check the account history to see if there has been any recent activity which would prevent an order for fibre from being placed.

Some agents are more knowledgeable than others so if this is no help be polite and thank them then call back and speak to someone else.
      gymno likes this.