Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I get Faster?

This is a discussion on Can I get Faster? within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all Just recently moved house, and now have Sky Fibre Unlimited. Fibre has only gone live within the last ...

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Can I get Faster?

Hi all

Just recently moved house, and now have Sky Fibre Unlimited. Fibre has only gone live within the last 3 weeks at this cabinet.

Before moving I checked DSLChecker and noticed:
      DSLChecker.JPG

My current connection is:
      RouterStats.jpg

However when OpenReach pulled in the new line to the house, they said "Oh you'll get full speed out of that on the higher packages". Consequently, I called Sky earlier to upgrade to Pro, but was told that the line would only support up to 45Mbps and upload of 9.2Mbps.

Has the BT OpenReach engineer mislead me, or is the data on DSLchecker incorrect? Confused!

#firstworldproblems!

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Can I get Faster?

So the checker says 44.5 & sky say 45.

If the openreach chap was merely speculating without plugging any gadgets in, i'b be inclined to believe sky.
      Especially considering you're not at the full 40 / 10 at present.

Just out of interest, what does it say HERE
      (Click 'what speed can i get' top right of page & choose postcode option).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Pengwern (08-08-14)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Has the BT OpenReach engineer mislead me, or is the data on DSLchecker incorrect? Confused!
      Going by the checker and your own stats I would say yes. Sky use the same checker to estimate your speed and you can be sure, if Sky thought your line could support more they would be only too willing to sell you the costlier package.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Pengwern (08-08-14)

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Going by the checker and your own stats I would say yes. Sky use the same checker to estimate your speed and you can be sure, if Sky thought your line could support more they would be only too willing to sell you the costlier package.
      hahah how very true. The guy I spoke to said "You'll be paying 30 a month for a slight increase in download, and no increase in upload ... I wouldn't bother!". Very honest of him.

Thank you both for your comments. I was keen to understand if the BT chap had more information as to what was in the cab, rather than the various "checker" websites. But it seems all stats agree on the 40 down 10 up (or thereabouts).

Thanks