Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Exhange upgraded, what about cabinets?

This is a discussion on Exhange upgraded, what about cabinets? within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey everyone, so my exchange is now accepting orders for FTTC , but my cabinet hasn't been upgraded. It's a ...

nellisere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBOSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exhange upgraded, what about cabinets?

Hey everyone, so my exchange is now accepting orders for FTTC, but my cabinet hasn't been upgraded. It's a fairly small cabinet (Number 64 if that helps anyone), but what's annoyed me is that the cabinet 150m down the road from mine (number 28) is a bigger one, and has already been upgraded, and accepting orders. How long do you think it will take for my cabinet to be upgraded, or is there anyone I can ask about it? Both cabinets are the more or less the same distance from my house, just different directions (Around 100m)

fttc.jpg

2. Advertisement
      James_478 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aycliffe [NEAYC]
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Re: Exhange upgraded, what about cabinets?

Quote Originally Posted by nellisere View Post
      Hey everyone, so my exchange is now accepting orders for FTTC, but my cabinet hasn't been upgraded. It's a fairly small cabinet (Number 64 if that helps anyone), but what's annoyed me is that the cabinet 150m down the road from mine (number 28) is a bigger one, and has already been upgraded, and accepting orders. How long do you think it will take for my cabinet to be upgraded, or is there anyone I can ask about it? Both cabinets are the more or less the same distance from my house, just different directions (Around 100m)

fttc.jpg
      nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

If you send an email to these guys they will let you know when your cabinet is being done if at all

They usually take 1/2 weeks to reply but have the most up to date information.

My town was done June last year and my cabinet is only just being done now sometime OpenReach leave cabinets for all sorts of reasons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_478 View Post
      nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

If you send an email to these guys they will let you know when your cabinet is being done if at all

They usually take 1/2 weeks to reply but have the most up to date information.

My town was done June last year and my cabinet is only just being done now sometime OpenReach leave cabinets for all sorts of reasons.
      Thanks! Have just sent them an email, hopefully I won't be waiting that long!

Thanks

Thanks! Have just sent them an email, hopefully I won't be waiting that long!
      They will let you know, unfortunately though, if they have done surrounding cabinets and left yours then chances are they "can't" do your cabinet.

This can be for any number of reasons, including:

Lines are too old and fibre would be of no benefit.
      Area where cabinet is to be placed has no power.
      BT have found that it is not commercially viable to install a cabinet there.
      Your council has denied planning permission for the cabinet.

Hopefully though you will be lucky like me and OpenReach will come back and revisit the cabinet.

As much as OpenReach will tell you whether or not the cabinet will be installed they are at times reluctant to tell you why, you may get a nice person reply to your email who will give you this information and if it because of planning permission you can contact your local council and ask them why

Hope all goes well and you get the answer you are hoping for

Thanks

I got a reply but they we're asking for my house number and road, completely forgot to add that as I just stated the cabinet number, silly me! Now another week to wait haha. Thanks for your help though, wouldn't have thought it's any of them as there's houses all around so powerlines shouldn't be an issue, same with planning permission, but it does look like a small and old cabinet, but I get 15Mbps with 3dB SNR so don't see why it wouldn't benefit.

Thanks

I got a reply but they we're asking for my house number and road, completely forgot to add that as I just stated the cabinet number, silly me! Now another week to wait haha. Thanks for your help though, wouldn't have thought it's any of them as there's houses all around so powerlines shouldn't be an issue, same with planning permission, but it does look like a small and old cabinet, but I get 15Mbps with 3dB SNR so don't see why it wouldn't benefit.
      You'd be surprised, honestly. My cabinet is surrounded by houses and there is a huge nursing home right next to it and they couldn't do it because there was no power there, which I thought was surprising.

The size and age of the cabinet shouldn't be too much of an issue, because they aren't upgrading the cabinet, it is being replaced by a shiny new one

thecarer1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: longton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Hi guys

im wondering if anyone can answer this question for me please

ive noticed for the last few months now that my exchange will be upgraded to fibre by the end of this year ( fingers crossed of course } but i want to know about the cabinet upgrades

now over the past month now BT have placed two brand new cabinets just up the road from me within the space of 50 metres of each other but for some reason ive got a funny feeling inside of me that these cabinets arent for fibre

is there anyway i can find out if they are for fibre or not

many thanks

Thanks

I've noticed that fibre cabinets have a voltage warning yellow sticker on the side, and then vents on the casing, but normal cabinets don't, or at least around my area that's the case. Also walk up to it, if you hear fans, its a fibre cabinet (assuming its turned on)

Update on my issues, it isn't BT organising this rollout, its my council who have the money and are choosing where to do it so the people at that email couldn't give me any more information.

thecarer1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: longton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

thanks for that nellisere

as far as i know i havent seen any yellow stickers on the cabinets at all but it does have the vents on them and ive walked past them a few times now but havent heard the fans switched on so ill have wait and see what goes on in the next few months

JonnyH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Havant
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Angry Re: Exhange upgraded, what about cabinets?

The exchange of the town I'm in (Havant) went live back in March I believe however none of the cabinets to the west of the town are currently accepting orders (I've tested many local roads using the BT fibre checker). Originally we were meant to go live end of September last year, like I say, rest of town went live in March, but we're being shown now as September this year, but it gets more annoying...

I moved into my house in November, I ripped the Virgin connection out and had a BT Openreach engineer come and install a phone line and had Sky put on it straight away. The engineer said then (in November) that my cabinet was all wired up and ready for fibre, he even said he expected I'd be able to order fibre before (last) Christmas. Well, over half a year later and I'm still waiting.

I'm going to try that email address given above, it's the only link to BTO that I've seen anywhere to ask them just what is going on. I'd love to know why I'm having to wait when others half a mile from me are all live (I'm only just over a mile from the exchange).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast