Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weird results on speedtest.net

This is a discussion on Weird results on speedtest.net within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by steve16751 Smiffy Hi speedtest . Net is well known for giving erratic test Results Here is some ...

Smiffy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Weird results on speedtest.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Smiffy
      Hi speedtest . Net is well known for giving erratic test Results Here is some speed test sites that give good results Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester and Broadband Speed Checker - THE UK's No.1 Broadband Speed Test plus thinkbroadband :: UK Broadband Speed Test I find it is a good idea to use all three and see if the results are similar. As speeds fluctuate all the time. Also have a look at Gadget Show Speed Tester
      Thanks for the info Steve.
      At work at the moment but will try some other speed test sites this evening and see what they throw up although I still can't understand why the PC upstairs and the wifes laptop give consistent results from the Speedtest.net site yet my PC shows ridiculous speeds. It wouldn't be so bad if I was actually getting them!
      Thanks to everybody for their suggestions and advice.
      Rob

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

This is absolutely crazy!!

I visited the Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL speed test site at work today. Tried my works PC out and was consistently getting a download speed of around 6,000 kbps.

I've tried one test so far on my home PC and it's saying I've got a download speed of 208434 kbps with an upload speed of 288 kbps (can't work out how to link it on here).
      Somethings not right.
      Edit. Just run yet another test and this time it's saying download speed 408460 kbps (!!!!!) with the upload speed being 361 kbps.

Just found some links....

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...126&v=11622613

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...322&v=11622663

The other thing I've noticed is when I've had a result that has shown a more "normal" download reading, the upload test starts immediately. When I get one of these "wild" download results the upload test takes an absolute age (and we are talking maybe a minute or so) to start.
      Last edited by Smiffy; 14-12-10 at 07:47 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Its hard to see how BBMax can give figures higher than the 20Mb which is supposed to be its maximum.

Can you try this one please Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

The most accurate result will be got by downloading an actual file and timing it. Make sure nothing else is using the connection during the test, try here - thinkbroadband :: Download Test Files

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I think the speedtesters that give crazy results probably report the peak throughput measured by the app on your PC over a short part of their download tests, rather than timing the duration of the full download - The problem with that is, if you have anything on your PC or network that buffers your traffic, the reported speed can be distorted by the much higher speed that data is read out of the buffer.

Programs such as anti-virus software and firewalls may cache traffic so that they can analyse it before passing it on to your browser, and apparently some homeplugs use a buffer too.

Thanks

The other thing I've noticed (on my home PC) is that when I try a speed test on it, the needle of the download "rev counter" (for want of another description) flies round like a bullet. It's alarming and it doesn't matter which testing site I use. The Sky Speed test is giving me more realistic speeds but even that immediately flies it's way up to the reading rather than sweep. You have to see it to believe it!
      When I carry out the same tests on my wifes laptop or my works or upstairs PC the needles behave normally and just sweep up to the indicated maximum.

Thanks

I think Fuzzy has hit the nail on the head. To test the theory, you could start in Safe Mode with Networking, which will prevent your security starting, try a speedtest and see what result you get.
      It goes back to Boothy's earlier post about Kapersky, all AVs probably effect speedtests in some way. What AV are you using?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      What AV are you using?
      Fully paid up version of Avira (as opposed to the free one!)
      It's never been a problem in the past (it's been on my PC for about 3 years) and these erratic speed test results only starting occuring about 6 months or so ago.
      Is it possible it's my network card or would that also affect the readings I would get on the other PC's in the house (bit of a numpty me!).

Thanks

No, your card has no effect on the other devices in your network, unless it was really faulty, but even then it would not give the results you are getting. You could go to the manufacturers web site and down load and install the latest driver. That may make a difference. Don't believe Windows when it says you have the latest driver and apart from that, your driver could be corrupted, so uninstall the old one before putting in the new.

TomD

Useful Utilites

haifa7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

My speed test is
      Download speed is 1.90
      Upload speed is 0.70
      I check the speed test here
      Last edited by haifa7; 10-10-11 at 06:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12