Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

21CN Confused?

This is a discussion on 21CN Confused? within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 21CN ...what will it do will it improve broadband? or just make my voice calls clearer? can someone explain what ...

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

21CN Confused?

21CN ...what will it do

will it improve broadband? or just make my voice calls clearer?

can someone explain what 21CN is in english... not gobbly gook that samknows uses

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 21CN Confused?

BT's 21st Century network is an internal network that BT will use to interconnect all of their exchanges and major hubs. This improves the amount of bandwidth available at each exchange which can then be sold to you the customer. At the moment, many BT exchanges are maxed out which restricts the amount of bandwidth they can sell to you. This is why BT do not offer premium broadband services such as the ADSL2+ service offered in many exchanges by Sky/Easynet.

I believe that BT will start selling ADSL2+ after 21CN has been installed in each local exchange which will provide competition for Sky/O2/BE etc. Since you already get ADSL2+ through Sky, you won't see any improvement.

The additional bandwidth at each exchange will also be used for voice calls which may mean cheaper calls although quality is unlikely to improve.

Thanks

So basically bt broadband will improve finally

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

hopefully, but by the time they finish fibre will be here

Thanks

lols..yeah

so is 21CN pstn basically meaning the digital bit on the phoneline?
      Last edited by samperry209; 21-01-09 at 04:33 PM.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

I don't know if the 21CN was linked to ADSL2+ as I was told by my friend was was a middle manager at BT that it was to make the voice calls VOIP over their own very large but private network.

The big problem with BT moving over to ADSL2+ is more that when they do all the ADSLMax customers from every ISP that sell it at that exchange will have to have their equipment upgraded to allow for ADSL2+, Sky connect and O2 is easy but a lot of BT custoemrs and other customers still have ADSL 1 modems which will need replacing and before the exchnage goes over.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@adrian
      My understanding is as per yours that the primary purpose of 21CN is to replace the old copper and fiber links between exchanges with a modern packet based (IP) system. This will allow them to carry more calls at a much lower cost than the existing system of non-packetised dedicated voice circuits allows. Since in most cases the "last mile" is over copper, the average BT customer won't notice the join but I had also heard that BT were planning to start providing ADSL2+ and made a connection between the two events. Perhaps none exists.

Most ADSL routers built in the last couple of years can deal with ADSL2+ although many require a firmware update to do so. Certainly the BT home hubs, built by Alcatel, are in this position so I don't see that as a major issue and if a user who has provided his own router refuses to upgrade then it is no problem for BT - they just won't see the improvement in speed. Unlike Sky, BT are not fussy about whose ADSL modem is used - If a non-adsl2+ router is connected the DSLAM will simply connect using the ordinary ADSL protocol.

Whilst I am in no position to confirm definitively either way, my guess is that if BT put ADSL2+ capable DSLAMs in every exchange, their backhaul would be quickly swamped without 21CN in place. If any BT experts out there know the position with any certainty, I would be delighted to hear either way.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 21-01-09 at 05:59 PM.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

its bt LLU

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skypaulusplus View Post
      its bt LLU
      No - not really. In fact it is the opposite. LLU is all about allowing other ISPs access to the "Local Loop" (ie the last mile of copper to your house).

21CN is all about the "first mile" (ie how exchanges are connected to each other). The Local Loop remains as it is and this will probably stay as a pair of copper wires for many years yet as fiber to the home in the UK is prohibitively expensive - Ask Virgin Media!

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

I thought though Gordon Brown had the big idea as one of his make work schemes to put in fibre in at the last mile.

Or has he spent all his money on the banks and left none on a project that people would actually benefit from.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast