Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

On off On Demand

This is a discussion on On off On Demand within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; So a while back I noticed our 2nd older Sky+ HD box upstairs had stopped showing on demand, I checked ...

AJStevens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horley (SDHRLY)
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 Unltd 76Mb and Virgin 200Mb
      Router: Mikrotik
      Sky TV: DRX895 DRX895WL
      Thanks

On off On Demand

So a while back I noticed our 2nd older Sky+ HD box upstairs had stopped showing on demand, I checked the network settings, all FAIL.

I checked the cable, network switch and all lit up fine, I'll tell you now I am an IT Infrastructure Engineer so I understand the technicals of networking. It is not the network switch, my router, my cables, I checked all of that.

The Sky+ HD box would not even save/apply any manual IP settings I gave it. I tried many power cycles, a forced update, though I doubt this box gets any new updates. So I thought it unlikely Sky broke the network card with an update.

I reluctantly resolved that the network adaptor inside the Sky+ HD box had a hardware fault and at this stage I'm not looking to replace it, I'm not convinced by Sky Q yet and may move house soon, didn't want to have to buy a new one, plus there's the recordings.

Suddenly today after a power cut I noticed it was now working, granted I hadn't checked it in a while so could have been working earlier.

Could it be its still getting small maintenance updates? Sky broke the network software and now they've fixed it?

Did anyone else experience this on their Sky+HD box?

Sky+ HD
      Model Number: R010.070.91.00P
      Version Number: 4F3001
      Manufacturer: Amstrad
      Common name: DRX780
      AJStevens

Sky+HD Multi-room
      DRX895
      DRX895WL (Bye bye DRX780)

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: On off On Demand

Just one thing from what you say above. When you say power cycles, did you power down the sky box remove the plug and leave for at least 5 minutes or longer and then plug back in.
      The older boxes always seemed to recover better with that kind of restart. Only say that as you say a power cut may have bought it back to life.

The last firmware for that box was R010.070.91.00P and commenced rollout Thursday 12th February 2015.
      The DR stream is no longer active for this box. The box will not be getting any new updates.

AJStevens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horley (SDHRLY)
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 Unltd 76Mb and Virgin 200Mb
      Router: Mikrotik
      Sky TV: DRX895 DRX895WL
      Thanks

On off On Demand

Thanks lettice, I guess that makes sense why it is now working, unlikely for 5 mins only possibly 30 seconds in the past, it's not easy reaching the back of the unit to pull the power cable out or the mains socket its connected to due to the furniture. I'm stretching to do it and don't want to lose the cable (I unplug from back of the box, and hold the cable so as not to lose it, then shove it back in. I realise this is not ideal but needs must).

Why would a 5 min power loss fix it where a 30 second didn't, some huge capacitors in it that need to drain?

I noticed we had a thick line down the EPG on the right hand side, since it didn't appear when viewing feed or recording I accepted it for getting the on demand back, then the power went again, this time EPG is fine and on demand is still ok.

I wish Sky had come up with an easy recording migration and box upgrade/replacement program for existing customers.
      AJStevens

Sky+HD Multi-room
      DRX895
      DRX895WL (Bye bye DRX780)