Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anytime+ on a non-Sky Router when Port Forwarding UDP 3700 does not work

This is a discussion on Anytime+ on a non-Sky Router when Port Forwarding UDP 3700 does not work within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi All, After months of fruitlessly trying port forwarding settings on my LinkSys E4200 router I plugged my Sky box ...

clearvertigo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen Internet
      Router: LinkSys E4200
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Anytime+ on a non-Sky Router when Port Forwarding UDP 3700 does not work

Hi All,

After months of fruitlessly trying port forwarding settings on my LinkSys E4200 router I plugged my Sky box into my laptop and used WireShark to sniff the packets the Sky box was sending out. Whilst it is true that the Sky box sends requests out to the Anytime+ service on UDP port 3700 it appears that for whatever reason that the server port on Sky box for inbound traffic is UDP port 43115. If you don't have any luck with forwarding UDP port 3700 to your Sky box try forwarding UDP port 43115 instead.

Good luck!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Anytime+ on a non-Sky Router when Port Forwarding UDP 3700 does not work

You should not need any port forwarding on your router. If you enable UPnP all should work just fine.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I wish it did! UPnP is already enabled. I have come to believe that it is the combination of swapping ISPs to a service that uses PPPoE and the LinkSys E4200 router that I have. The funny part is if I plug the Sky box directly into my macbook pro and internet share the wifi then it works perfectly...

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You should not need any port forwarding on your router. If you enable UPnP all should work just fine.

Thanks

That definatly points the blame at the router then.

There is an old thread on this forum listing all the ports that were identified for the Sky+ HD at the time. If you search port 3700 you should find it.

The problem is that there are various places where this port forwarding will not work: Multi-room setups.

Could you check the following for me please:

• Firmware on your router - which version is it and is it the most up to date?
      • The Internet settings you are using (s a mod I can see which ISP you are with), are they standard or is there something special you are using?
      • Can you post a link to where you get the settings from?
      • Which firmware do you have on your Sky+ HD STB & which model is it please?

I would like to pass this on to the development team to see if they can work out what is happening. Whilst Sky don't support the router, it might be something which they can fix. If you prefer, senf the details via a PM.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for taking an interest in this! I managed to solve the problem by installing an open source router firmware called Tomato USB onto my router which fixed the problem. Incidentally I just got a new phone (HTC One) and it had exactly the same problem as the Sky Box - couldn't reach the internet. Very frustrating to say the least. As I mentioned before it seems that the PPPoE implementation on the router via the stock firmware was suspect as I only got problems after switching ISPs to FTTC VDSL (BT infinity resold via Zen Internet).

For the record the router I am using is a Cisco LinkSys E4200 v1 802.11n router. Updating to the latest firmware available from LinkSys did not fix the problem but replacing this firmware with the open source Tomate USB firmware did the trick.

So in the end I don't think it was anything specifically to do with the Sky Box - although it is a bit weird that my laptops and iPhones had no problem with the using router with the old firmware (they also have no problem with the new firmware either!).

Let me know if you'd still like any more details regarding my setup.

Regards,

Grant

- - - Updated - - -

It may also have been related to stale DNS server settings which I noticed once upgrading to the new firmware (initially nothing worked) - perhaps the old firmware allowed pass through on the DNS but the new one did not?

Thanks

It sounds more likely that it is an issue with the router's firmware rather than being limited to the Sky STB, especially if you are having issues with the HTC One as well.

Have you contacted Cisco to see what they say on the matter?

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You dont need to forward any ports and dont need upnp for anytime+
      You just need to ensure there is no outbound blocking there is no need for an inbound port to be opened
      on any cone nat router (any router that isnt old as the hills)

These simple firewall rules work just fine with anytime+

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anytime+ on a non-Sky Router when Port Forwarding UDP 3700 does not work-untitled.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Some using non-Sky routers found they had to change the multiplexing from VC to LLC to get the Sky+ box to connect properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.