Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky On Demand without broadband..

This is a discussion on Sky On Demand without broadband.. within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi In the recent weeks, Sky Anytime on my Sky HD+ box has changed to on demand.. not a real ...

stuarttunstall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

In the recent weeks, Sky Anytime on my Sky HD+ box has changed to on demand.. not a real problem, but I do have a question..

When I clicked on "on demand" almost all the tabs were blank, except ALL, and MOVIES.. having had a chat with Sky they suggested I did a planner rebuild which seems to have put programs in some, but not all tabs... Can anyone tell me if there tabs all have programs in?

Also, when it first changed I am sure one tab said showcase, but this is not there now, I may have been dreaming ... lol I do have Sky Store then the usual tabs

I have just swithched off on demand so it cleared all programs, did another planner rebuild, so I will just wait to see if they fill up now...

As I say this is the standard on demand, I have not connected it to broadband yet .. but will be in the near future..

Thanks

Stuart

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky On Demand without broadband..

Hi Stuart

Without a broadband connection you will not have a showcase tab.

Once broadband is connected all your current on demand programmes will be moved into a newly created showcase tab.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

The other thing, because you have temporarily disabled the 'On Demand' feature, all the current recordings will have been removed.

It takes a few days for the content to become available and it will then gradually build up once more. Most of it is film content, but there is additional content at the moment.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The other thing, because you have temporarily disabled the 'On Demand' feature, all the current recordings will have been removed.

It takes a few days for the content to become available and it will then gradually build up once more. Most of it is film content, but there is additional content at the moment.
      Thanks for the replies . .

I knew it would remove all recordings, I wanted to see if it would fill more tabs up.. Can you tell me if all your tabs have programs in?

I do intend to upgrade in the next few days to the 2TB box and a wireless connector It just seems strange that since Sky change it from Anytime to On demand I seem to have hell of a lot less programs to chose from inc some blank tabs... Prior to the change they all had programs

Thanks

Since mine is connected to the Internet, I can't quite check what you are seeing myself.

Looking at the content though, I have something for Sky 1 HD, Gold, Crime HD, Sky Living HD & Sky News HD. All the rest is Movie content.

The layout is quite different when it is connected to the Internet. What you currently see in the On Demand section gets placed in the 'Showcase' section, but is also available to select in the Library, Movies and Sky Store sections. However you also have a huge and fluid library of much more content to access as well.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank for looking

I am looking at getting the new 2TB box, I may even order this weekend... and get the wireless connector at the same time.. It does seem a step backwards in my opinion, I get less options now than I did before...

The programs are starting to reappear, although only about 5 so far since last night..

Stuart

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The 2tb box is awesome I got the wireless connector as well but not set it up yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      The 2tb box is awesome I got the wireless connector as well but not set it up yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I have the Sky+HD 500GB box at the moment. 4f3105 at the moment. but the 2TB does look nice plus you get more space...

Regarding the wireless connector, my only concern is my crap internet, living in a village, as a rule I get between 1.5 and 2GB not bad if you see how far I am from the exchange...but you may help me with a few questions,

(1) Will this sort of speed be OK for on demand?
      (2) How does it work?
      (3) Do I have to download first, or does it just start streaming?

Thanks again

Stuart

Thanks

You will struggle and probably will have to wait for much of the what you want to watch to download first, but you will be able to download the content from the On demand section.

It downloads first to a point where you can watch it without catching up with what it is downloading, or at least that it the plan. It isn't a live stream.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I get between 1.5 and 2GB
      Wow, that is really fast. but I expect you mean 1.5 and 2 Mb.

With my 10 Mb connection I find I can watch SD after 15-20 seconds, HD a bit longer. With only 2 Mb I think you will struggle to watch as it is downloading, you will have to wait till it is available in your planner. This is no bad thing as it means you will suffer no buffering at all. Something which even the fastest connection can suffer from.

When I disconnect the internet, the only tabs I have with anything in them are All, Sky Store, Movies, Entertainment and Documentaries. There is nothing available in the rest of them, you will only see something in them when it is available. Just depends on what Sky download to your box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast