Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What to do...

This is a discussion on What to do... within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I am currently planning of setting up anytime on my Sky+HD box. The problem is though that the telephone scoket ...

sjholland87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What to do...

I am currently planning of setting up anytime on my Sky+HD box. The problem is though that the telephone scoket is at the other end of the room to the TV.

I have no problem with laying another cable (I did the one for the telephone connection in 10 minutes), but the distance is quite far and I would have to run it round the edge of the wall near the ceiling so it would require more cable. Then, if I want to move the TV, I'm stuck on where to put it.

So my question is. Would it make more sense to get a wireless bridge to stick behind the TV with an Ethernet lead from that into the sky box (the other plus point is that I will be able to stream off my laptop as well) or should I go with home plugs?

Has anybody done either of these?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: What to do...

This is always a dilemma and something which no two people will always agree with.

Firstly you need to understand a couple of different wiring issues. The Sky+ HD STB uses two cables to connect it to (1) the telephone line and (2) the Internet.

The telephone line connection is so that you can access the Interactive Services and the number called is a free phone number. This system is also used to ensure that the STB is located in the UK, notify Sky if you purchase any SBO events, films or programmes. It is also used to ensure that when a customer has the multi-room subscription, that both STBs are located in the same home.

If a telephone extension is unsuitable, then Maplin sells a nice little DECT sender which is compatible with the STB. You may be able to get the same product elsewhere for less money so please feel free to look around.

DECT Wireless Phone Line Extender : Extension Cables & Kits : Maplin Electronics

The Internet connection will be the one to your router. Personally I have a TV, Home Theatre, PC and the Sky+ HD STB all next to each other. They all share a Network Switch which has an Ethernet cable connecting it to the Sky Router. If I were to move home I could easily get a different Ethernet cable if the existing one is too short.

However you are looking at whether a pair of HomePlugs or a WiFi Media Bridge would be better. To be fair both cost around the same amount (30-40). Both could be connected to a Network Switch, should you find that you get a TV or Blu-ray that would also like to share the Internet connection and both would be fine to stream content.

According to your profile you have the Sky D-Link router. This is a WiFi g router. A WiFi n router would be better at streaming live HD content, but the Sky+ HD STB downloads the Anytime+ content for you to view at a latter time. If it can't download it quickly, then you will just have to wait a little longer for the download to be ready to view.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms