Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anytime+ wireless query

This is a discussion on Anytime+ wireless query within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi all, new on here and have suceeded in confusing myself massively. My problem is a fairly simple yes or ...

fraser15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Anytime+ wireless query

Hi all, new on here and have suceeded in confusing myself massively. My problem is a fairly simple yes or no (i think) but for background i feel i should add some details.

Previously i had my sky router located in an upstairs room and had an ok wireless signal but nothing fantastic. My son wanted to be online for his PS3 so i bought two TPlink powerline adapter plugs - one attached via an ethernet cable to the router and plugged in and the other likewise to the PS3 downstairs - worked great. I decided to reclaim the upstairs bedroom so i moved the main computer and router downstairs to the same room as the PS3. The wireless signal was sufficient that i no longer needed the powerline plug for that job. Unfortunately the wireless signal through to the room where the main TV and laptop are located was bad beyond use. I initially used the powerline plug for the laptop which was great but it's a laptop and you want to move around with it. I spoke to a friend and he suggested a TP link WA701 wireless lite access point, which i bought from the local PC shop. I plugged this in to the powerline plug in the room and low and behold a great wireless signal, although not "called" by my sky network name but by the powerline terminology. (takes a breath before continuing!!)

Anytime+ comes along and my other half says that sounds good. Signed up and then heard nothing for a bit until my mate says why don't you put a bigger hard drive in your Amstrad 780. Started researching this and then found via copy+ website that i have the "darwin" upgrade and would lose all my programmes, but conversely i now should have Anytime+. Great until i try to log in via the network setting and it finds nothing. I tried entering the ip address manually for both my sky wireless network and the tp link access point - nothing.

After hours of no fun i phone sky and after being on hold for the best part of an hour the tech woman informs me that Anytime+ will only work with a sky router/network and it's my choice to have them in different rooms and have a non-sky access device. Either i run an ethernet cable through the house or i give them 60 for a sky wireless extender device.

After this rather long winded story can i ask if Anytime+ does only work with the Sky extender and technically am i not just extending my wireless signal, but through a third party device? Any advice from those more technically minded than myself would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Anytime+ wireless query

I think I have some idea where you are with your LAN setup.

A quick test for you:

Plug the HomePlugs in: 1st to the router, 2nd to the Laptop directly (but locate it near to the Sky+ HD STB). check that this works.

If that works, then connect the 2nd HomePlug directly to your Sky+ HD STB.

Using your remote control, press:

<Services> <Right> <Down> 6 <Down>

...and check that you have an IP address. It is safe to press the <Red> button & reset the IP address.

If this all works, then come back as I have some further suggestions. If it doesn't work, please let us know.

P.S. How can it be your 'choice' to have the router in one room, next to the Master Socket and the Sky STB in another? some people talk out of the behinds too often!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The first thing to understand is that the network card in the HD box is ethernet only. As you have been informed, you need an wireless ethernet adapter to connect this with wireless. Sky sell them at 60 but they are available elsewhere for less than half that.

Depending on the type and location of your TPlink you could possible plug an ethernet cable into it and the HD box and get a connection. You could also get another Homeplug to add to the 2 you have and use this to connect the HD box to the network.

You do not need Sky equipment to use Anytime+

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Depending on the type and location of your TPlink you could possible plug an ethernet cable into it and the HD box and get a connection. You could also get another Homeplug to add to the 2 you have and use this to connect the HD box to the network.
      I had a little search and found that the TP Link WA701 only has 1 LAN port.

If the above tests work, I was going to suggest a 5-Port LAN Switch, or something along those lines.

Plugging the 2nd HomePlug into the switch would allow the Sky STB & the PS3 to connect using wired connections. The TP Link could then connect to the switch as well, allowing the Laptop to use it's WiFi connection.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, i'm at work so can't try these things at the moment but thanks to al for the replies.

Isitme may have helped the lights come on though as if i understand correctly there is no wireless card in the Sky HD box so therefore the wireless signal must be passed through wireless/ethernet adapter via an ethernet cable to to the Sky HD box. Only wireless up to a certain point then??

Scubbie cheers also and yes the WA701 only has one LAN port ( which i use to connect to the TP link plug).

Time for a little rethink but after my holidays now i feel.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers everyone. I think a lightbulb may just have lit up! If i read the post correctly then the Sky HD box does not contain a wireless network card but needs to be connected at the end point by an ethernet cable - so not technically completely wireless!

Yes the WA701 does only have one LAN port so that may not be suitable unless i get an LAN extension. Back to the drawing board i feel.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks

What I was considering is to place the Router in the Master socket.

Connect the first HomePlug to it.

Place the 2nd HomePlug near to the TV/Sky STB.

Purchase a 5-Port Switch (they can cost around 4-5)

Connect the 5-Port switch next to the Sky STB and connect it to the PS3, Sky+ HD STB and the TP-Link WA701.

This would give you WiFi that your Laptop can use.

Alternatively if you have an old WiFi router, you could forget the TP-Link WA701 and the Switch and use the document in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

It would then be placed by your Sky STB and connect directly to the PS3, HomePlug & Sky+ HD STB.

Another tip, if you set the WiFi on the TP-Link WA701 & the Sky router to share the same SSID, passwords & security levels, then your laptop would just pick up the strongest signal whether it be the router or the WA701.

nobbyburton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Looks like i may have discovered the only place on the internet to save me

i have just got my direless anytime + connector and it recognises my linksys router fine

thats where problem starts, its looking for a network password and appears it is after a 10 digit number/letter combination

my wireless router security password is way longer than 10 digits

HELP

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

This is one I have not seen here before, probably because very few use pass keys longer than 10 characters, which they should. I have seen it mentioned that some types of hardware are restricted in the characters you can use. There is however another possibility and that is it is trying to use WEP, which would require 10 characters. Check if there is a drop down box which allows you to change the encryption. If there is choose WPA or 2, whichever your router uses.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nobbyburton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Think it could be I have set hex password generator to 26 not 10', will change to 10 but means I have to redo every device in house that uses router which is a pain, cheers anyway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast