Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 60k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

URGENT HELP NEEDED / Anytime+ / can't connect via TP-Link

This is a discussion on URGENT HELP NEEDED / Anytime+ / can't connect via TP-Link within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi Everyone My name is Martin, and I never was register in here or any other forum as usual I ...

Confused_Martin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gyntepynte@googlemail.com
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Exclamation URGENT HELP NEEDED / Anytime+ / can't connect via TP-Link

Hi Everyone
      My name is Martin, and I never was register in here or any other forum as usual I was able to find my way of resolving problems until today.
      Big credit to all of you guys who create this page and everyone who keeps it going.

Well.....why is it urgent???
      The only way for us to watch Anytime+ on both SkyHD+ boxes is via wireless connection due to router being in the middle of the house and bedroom is on one end and living room on the other end.
      ....also me having 2 Diploma's in IT and not being able to get it working is very frustrating, very.

What we have is:
      - 2x the latest DRX890-C Sky+ HD boxes
      - 1x Sagem Wireless router
      - 2x TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N Access Point

Now, thats the network details I get after login to my sky router via cable

Just a quick explanation why I got TP-Link instead of homeplug, simply because you can put it in 6different modes from Client to Universal Repeater, Repeater, Access Point and 2more, can't remember.

I did tried all possible and known to me options and when I'm plugging cable in to the back of the sky box after each set up and going to options on the sky box, then to network settings in EPG is just not finding anything, I tried manual set up on the box (IP, Gateway etc) and still no success.

PLEASE, can anyone help me with setting this thing up, we just extended our contract for another year with a cost of 89pounds per month only really because of Anytime+ which we can't have it.

All help is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards
      Martin

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,446 Times in 1,418 Posts

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED / Anytime+ / can't connect via TP-Link

What you really needed was either a homeplug network or wireless/ethernet bridge like this
      [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Universal-Wifi-Internet-Adapter/dp/B003VIWJYI/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_0"]Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame] these are a good bit cheaper and are being used by many of our members -
      http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

With regards the TP-Link, I set one of these up for a friend, but that was connecting to a BT Hub2, I am not sure if it will work with a Sky router. I am also not sure if you can use the ethernet port to connect a device, as the device meant to extend the wireless reception. I don't remember reading in the manual that you could use the ethernet port for anything other than configuring the device, but it may work.

What you could try is connecting one of the devices to your Sky router, using ethernet. For it to be recognised you will have to change its IP address to 192.168.0.254 and ensure that the DHCP server is turned off. Now change the address on the other unit to 192.168.0.253 and attempt to connect it to the first one. You will have to follow the instructions in the manual, which I think is on the set up CD. When you get a connection, plug it into your HD box and see if it connects. If you manage to get a connection it may be worthwhile persevering in getting a connection direct to the Sagem router.
      Last edited by Isitme; 22-04-11 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks

Hi there

Thank you for your quick response. Much appreciated.
      I know that many people bought that just for the same reason what me and they managed to set the units quiet easy with the sky routers. So thats the second reason why I bought it. The first one was 6 different modes as I said above and these modes are:
      Access Point
      Multi-SSID
      Client
      Repeater
      Universal Repeater
      Bridge

By connecting to the back of TP-Link unit via cable and laptop I can access all sort of Wireless, DHCP, DNS, Network etc setting, really loads of them.
      You know that your suggestion, in what sort of mode shall I try it?? What value shall I put in Gateway, Mask, DNS etc etc.

I know it may sound a bit stupid, but would it be possible to get more ''idiot'' version
      I'm really struggling and it frustrates me so much and I'm not the type of guy who gives up, never

Please please, HELP me

Kind regards
      Martin

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hi Martin,

All you have to do is connect your TP Link to your sky router in client mode.

Connect your laptop to your TP Link with an ethernet cable and configure it with the following settings:

Network Settings
      Type: Static IP
      IP Address: 192.168.0.245
      Subnet: 255.255.255.0
      Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Wireless Settings
      Operation Mode: Client
      Enable WDS: No
      SSID: SKY24340
      MAC of AP: leave this blank
      Region: UK
      Channel Width: 20/40MHz
      Enable Wireless Radio: Yes

Wireless Security Settings
      Disable Security: No
      WEP: No
      WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK: yes
      Version: Automatic
      Encryption: Automatic
      PSK Password: network key of sky router
      Group Key Update Period: 0

DHCP Settings
      Enabled: Yes
      Start IP Address: 192.168.1.10
      End IP Address: 192.168.1.20
      Address Lease Time: 120
      Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
      Default Domain: leave it blank
      Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
      Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

After you save these settings your TP-Link should restart. Once it restarts connect it to your Sky+ HD box and you should be good to go.

Thanks

Hi Exdee

Thank you very much for checking my thread and all your help.
      The settings you have posted above sounds about right, but there is one issue which stops me from finishing the setup.

First of all, as per TP-Link Manual, I had to open ''Network and Sharing Centre'' (Windows7), the click ''Local are Network'', then Properties and then click on TCP/IPv4 and enter these values:

IP address: 192.168.1.100
      Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Both DNS values I've left blank.

Then to connect to TP-Link all I had to do is plug the cable and enter this value to my Internet Browser: 192.168.1.254

Then obviously ID: admin and Password: admin and I'm in, connected and have all the options visible in my browser ready for setup.

Now, Network Settings
      Type: Static IP
      IP Address: 192.168.0.245
      Subnet: 255.255.255.0
      Gateway: 192.168.0.1

..after entering all these values I have to click SAVE and then unit restarts and after restart I'm loosing connection, I'm not able to connect to it via same address (I think obvious thing here is because I've just changed the values above, now they are different from those in TCP/IPv4 section which I changed as per Manual.

....so, thats where I stuck. I've tried also this option.
      I've reseted the TP-Link unit, connected to it and started changing values, but starting from Wireless Settings , that went well, then Wireless Security Settings , that went well as well, then DHCP Settings which goes well until I click SAVE, then error comes up IP ERROR or something like that, and what I understand from it, is because the Network Settings are not changed yet.

So, what shall I do after changing the Network Setting on the first place to be able to connect to TP-Link unit again after this changes so I can change all other values, reset it and be finally able to have Anytime+

I hope I didn't confused you, I just wanted you to know exactly what I did and what exactly is my problem and in what stages

Looking forward hearing from you
      And thanks once again to of you guys for helping me in setting up this thing

Kindest regards
      Martin

Thanks

To be honest, I think you would be better disabling the DHCP server in the TP link. This allows all the routing to be done by the Sky router. For what you want it for, there is no need to have a separate network.

First of all, as per TP-Link Manual, I had to open ''Network and Sharing Centre'' (Windows7), the click ''Local are Network'', then Properties and then click on TCP/IPv4 and enter these values:

IP address: 192.168.1.100
      Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
      This is a temporary setting on your PC to give you access to the TPLink. When you have changed the TPlinks range, go back into the settings and tick, 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. You may have to reboot your PC.

As I said earlier, simply change the IP address of the TPLink by changing the 1 to a 0, turn off the DHCP server and that's it. I can't see any reason for having the DHCP server running.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hi Martin,

Once you input the network settings, save and restart your TP-Link you will then access the browser based configuration at this address: 192.168.0.245

Proceed with the rest of the steps as normal.

When you come to DHCP input the following:
      DHCP Settings
      Enabled: Yes
      Start IP Address: 192.168.0.100
      End IP Address: 192.168.0.199
      Address Lease Time: 120
      Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
      Default Domain: leave it blank
      Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
      Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

After you save the DHCP configuration and your Tp-Link reboots I want you to get rid of the changes you made in TCP/IPv4 in Windows 7 (select get ip address automatically).

You should now be able to connect automatically to the TP-link. If you turn off the wifi on your laptop at this point you will be able to test the whole setup (browse as normal).

Thanks

Isitme & Exdee, Thank you so much for your rapid response, very much appreciated.

I will try both your setups in a minute, but before I do that, Exeed just to confirm one thing, you know the DHCP settings, they are different in your last reply than in your first setups, which of them shall I choose when I will be trying your method, the most recent ones or the original ones which you've posted on the first place.

Guys, thank you once again, especially during the Easter, your time you spent on helping me during this time is very very much appreciated.

Looking forward hearing from you and I will post the results as soon I try both methods.
      Martin

Thanks

I am sorry you are being further confused by conflicting advice. Maybe Exdee would like to explain why it is necessary to have the DHCP server enabled in the TPLink and why it should use the same range as the Sky router?

Thanks

Guys

I've just tried all methods, with DHCP configured both ways, then with DHCP off, tried as a Client and Wireless bridge and all goes smooth until I connect the cable to Sky box, it gets the IP address which I assigned to the unit, for all options it always says that DHCP if OFF even if in 2 of 4 attempts it was ON, Service Connection says NO always.

Then for each option on each attempt I also tried to set the values such as IP, DNS etc on the sky box under Network manually, base on the values which were set on the unit at that time, no luck.

Guys, honestly, it is very possible that I am imbecile and helping via Internet to someone like me might be time wasting, I don't know, you both could gave me already correct setups, but there might be a simple mistake I do or what ??????

Please share your honest opinion

Looking forward hearing from you

Kindest regards
      Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)