Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thomson Swapout clarification

This is a discussion on Thomson Swapout clarification within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Hi guys anybody have more than one thomson box and have you had all your boxes replaced not just the ...

AMCross is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01056
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thomson Swapout clarification

Hi guys

anybody have more than one thomson box and have you had all your boxes replaced not just the main one

I have four thomson boxes all with full sky package and i am awaiting the non sky broadband letter advising that we have a swapout option

rang sky last week and was told sky anytime is defo not going onto the old thomson boxes and expect a letter in the next 21 days

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Thomson Swapout clarification

Anytime+ is not available on any other BB package that Sky BB Lite or Sky BB Unlimited. Your message & profile indicates that you do not have either of these.

The only official reason that Sky is swapping out the Thomson STBs is because people have registered for Anytime+ and they qualify on the BB issue, but can't get it because of the Thomson STBs being unable to handle it.

I understand that this may permanently disqualify you from getting an upgrade and you may feel disgruntled. Hopefully in due course Sky will change their policy and upgrade all Sky+ HD Thomson STBs.

There are other updates in the wind which would mean that the Sky HD & Sky+ HD STBs will be able to do even more in the future. These will require a minimum of a LAN connection and some could also require more use of the Internet. How Sky are going to handle these issues is not yet known.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

AMCross is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01056
      Thanks

i know they are only swapping the boxes for sky broadband customers at this moment in time but as per my post they are apparently going to change that very soon

Im not really bothered either way all my boxes are updated with enhanced power supplies and also 1tb hard drives and run great

just curious about the people that have had their boxes swapped have they only swapped one or all the old boxes in the house

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

In all the cases reported so far Sky have only supplied one replacement. I suppose if you bought the boxes from Sky and paid multi room on them, they would have to change them all if you qualified otherwise for Anytime+. If you bought the boxes from a source other than Sky, that may be a different story.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I meet all the requirements for an upgrade to my Thomson box. I pre-registered months ago. However I'm still awaiting any offer from Sky and during conversations with them I was told it might be sometime before I was offered the upgrade because they can only handle relatively small numbers of upgrades at a time. So I guess people who don't currently qualify might have a long wait.

WilsonLaidlaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273400909
      Thanks

I hope they extend this swap program to non-Sky-Broadband users soon. My Thomson box is giving early signs of trouble and seems to need resetting more often than it used to plus the HD is getting very noisy. There is also a bit of difference between the 2 signal strengths, which I understand is another early sign of PSU trouble. I suppose I could get a PSU repair kit. However I have often found that fitting the new components is not the issue; it is getting the old ones out and de-soldering the holes in the PCB's that is the problem. I have recently fitted myself, a new 65cm solid dish, Invacom twin LNB and 7.5mm foil shielded shotgun cable, with a great improvement in signal quality, especially in wet weather. I have experience of getting Sky/Freesat in the South of France and have always found that Invacom LNB's are totally reliable (until they get hit by lightning that is) and meet their specs unlike some other LNB's which seem to have better figures but in practice, perform worse. Also solid dishes work better than mesh. I have a 140cm one in France.

Wilson

Thanks

I hope they extend this swap program to non-Sky-Broadband users soon.
      There is little chance of that happening. You will have to call out Sky and convince the installer you need a box swap. Cost a little over 60. Unfair as it may seem to you, the free replacement is available to Sky TV viewers who also subscribe to Sky Broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

WilsonLaidlaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273400909
      Thanks

I would have therefore to ensure that the Thomson box is wholly U/S before I called out a Sky engineer. 60 for a swap over seems good value to me. It will also be nice to have Coax digital output rather than optical, I always feel the quality is a bit better, not having to go through an optical coder and then a decoder. I assume that I can downsample the digital output from Dolby 5.1 to LCPM 2 channel stereo like I can on my Thomson box for HD channels.

I need the telephone re-connecting anyway. When the aerial technicians came to replace my dish and made such a total mess of it that I decided I could not do worse myself, they also managed to rip out the telephone cable from the outside wall. I had asked them to put up a solid 65cm dish and Invacom LNB. I had to go out and when I came back (unfortunately after they had left), I found they had put up a region 2 Sky mesh disc and the same Sky LNB as I already had. They were told to come back and collect their rubbish and also what they could do with any bill. Never heard from them again but the Sky dish/LNB was collected from my front door about 10 days later. When in the UK, I live on a farm, so I can do things like safely leaving stuff to be collected from front door.

The Dolby sound digital output has been an issue on the non-recording Humax Freesat box, which I use in France. It was finally cured a few weeks ago, when a very kind Humax engineer emailed me a special beta software. Otherwise the sound coming out of a standard 2 channel Digital to Analogue converter (DAC) sounded like a motor scooter with a broken exhaust when watching HD channels and taking the sound from the Toslink output. Now I get LCPM 2 channel digital output on HD and normal channels and don't have to use my Sony TV as a 5.1 DAC, to decode the sound for me.

Wilson

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is little chance of that happening. You will have to call out Sky and convince the installer you need a box swap. Cost a little over 60. Unfair as it may seem to you, the free replacement is available to Sky TV viewers who also subscribe to Sky Broadband.
      I had 3 phone calls last week from Sky trying to get me to swap out my Thomson, they wouldn't take no for an answer even when they said the Thomson wasn't compatable with Anytime+ and I replied I am with BT so it won't work anyways.

So it looks like they are going through all the Thomson owners eventually.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

So it looks like they are going through all the Thomson owners eventually.
      That's possible, but it could be that as you were once with Sky broadband you are still showing in part of their database as a Sky broadband user.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast