Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    Like Tree5Likes

Anytime+ Amstrad 780 problem thread...

This is a discussion on Anytime+ Amstrad 780 problem thread... within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Bit of a pity about the first response I had. I don't understand where the guy got his information from, ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Anytime+ Amstrad 780 problem thread...

Bit of a pity about the first response I had. I don't understand where the guy got his information from, but he had quite obviously NOT looked at my account and seemed to be unaware of this specific offer.
      Now that is very unusual for Sky, isn't it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      So that's a result
      It could take a little while longer than the 5 days to get to you, mine took 9 as apparently they are dispatching a lot of these at present.

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Well as they're not sending it out until Monday, I'm assuming they're talking "working days" ... which means I won't expect it until Thursday-Monday ... I'm not in any great rush tho.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

They said they were sending mine out on a Monday and I got it the following Monday.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan b For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (04-07-11)

Jerboa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Last year I replaced my Drx780 with a new 1TB box after Sky CS told me my old box wasn't compatible with Anytime+
      From reading threads like this It looks like I was ill informed, and could of waited for the firmware update.

Anyway I still had the old 780 gathering dust so I gave It to my dad, as he still had an old Thomson 80GB Sky+ box, on the day I connected It had no problems, rang Sky the next day to pair the box with my dad's card, almost Immediately I noticed the box would freeze up, especially on Sky1, the 780 had been packed away for a year so the Sky CS lady talked me through a forced software update, but still had the same problems, the box still has the older EPG style software too, we ended up getting my dad a new free Drx890, but I was thinking can I still update the old 780, as there was nothing wrong with It before, If so I might even add a new HDD.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It really depends what you want to use it for. It may never get the new R006 firmware which would be required for the latest features but even with R005 it should have the newer style, if not the latest, EPG. Are you able to power up the box and get model and version numbers from the system details screen?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Jerboa (19-05-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerboa View Post
      Last year I replaced my Drx780 with a new 1TB box after Sky CS told me my old box wasn't compatible with Anytime+
      From reading threads like this It looks like I was ill informed, and could of waited for the firmware update.
      The DRX780 was more than capable of receiving Anytime+ content as it was called this time last year. The following can be found by digging through the archives of this and other forums:

• This time last year there was a beta group developing the next major firmware (R005) for the DRX890 & DRX895 STBs
      • Later this version was also rolled out to the Pace, Samsung and DRX780 STBs
      • R005 allowed the different Catch Up TV providers to integrate with the Sky+ HD STBs for the first time. It also allowed the content to become fully integrated with the On Demand section too
      • R005 enabled the Sky+ HD STBs to accept remote control access via the Sky+ app (on Android & iOS devices)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerboa View Post
      Anyway I still had the old 780 gathering dust so I gave It to my dad, as he still had an old Thomson 80GB Sky+ box, on the day I connected It had no problems, rang Sky the next day to pair the box with my dad's card, almost Immediately I noticed the box would freeze up, especially on Sky1, the 780 had been packed away for a year so the Sky CS lady talked me through a forced software update, but still had the same problems, the box still has the older EPG style software too, we ended up getting my dad a new free Drx890, but I was thinking can I still update the old 780, as there was nothing wrong with It before, If so I might even add a new HDD.
      Annoyingly your Dad could have got a brand new DRX890 and perhaps a WiFi adaptor too:

Free upgrade to thompson sky+hd box owners - Better Box Scheme

If he still has the Thomson tucked away, I know what I might consider doing but I have no idea if it will work. I'll let you use your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      It really depends what you want to use it for. It may never get the new R006 firmware which would be required for the latest features but even with R005 it should have the newer style, if not the latest, EPG.
      Sky are working on the next major firmware for the Pace, Samsung and DRX780 Sky+ HD STBs. I do not have any other information which I can share at this stage.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Jerboa (19-05-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

It really depends what you want to use it for. It may never get the new R006 firmware which would be required for the latest features but even with R005 it should have the newer style, if not the latest, EPG. Are you able to power up the box and get model and version numbers from the system details screen?
      Model Number: R003.047.25.00P
      Version Number: 4F3006

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The DRX780 was more than capable of receiving Anytime+ content as it was called this time last year. The following can be found by digging through the archives of this and other forums:

• This time last year there was a beta group developing the next major firmware (R005) for the DRX890 & DRX895 STBs
      • Later this version was also rolled out to the Pace, Samsung and DRX780 STBs
      • R005 allowed the different Catch Up TV providers to integrate with the Sky+ HD STBs for the first time. It also allowed the content to become fully integrated with the On Demand section too
      • R005 enabled the Sky+ HD STBs to accept remote control access via the Sky+ app (on Android & iOS devices)

Annoyingly your Dad could have got a brand new DRX890 and perhaps a WiFi adaptor too:

Free upgrade to thompson sky+hd box owners - Better Box Scheme

If he still has the Thomson tucked away, I know what I might consider doing but I have no idea if it will work. I'll let you use your imagination.

Sky are working on the next major firmware for the Pace, Samsung and DRX780 Sky+ HD STBs. I do not have any other information which I can share at this stage.
      Sky did offer him a free 890, and I gave him my wireless connector that I don't use.

I've just connected my old 780 to my dish, It has the Anytime graphics on the EPG, when I connect It to my router It downloads, but freezes up after a while. If the box Is still capable I'm thinking of popping a 2TB HDD In It, but only If the box Is capable of updating with new firmware and will work.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I would try updating the software again. If after 3 attempts following the instructions in this post: Sky+ HD STB Firmware Versions it will still not update to R005 software then there is definitely a problem with the box and I would be inclined to consign it to the recycler.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would try updating the software again. If after 3 attempts following the instructions in this post: Sky+ HD STB Firmware Versions it will still not update to R005 software then there is definitely a problem with the box and I would be inclined to consign it to the recycler.
      I just tried another forced update, and happy to say the 780 now has R005!
      I was just about to scrap the STB, as I'd tried yesterday, and the other week when I set up the box for my dad.
      seawright likes this.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223