Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Anytime plus wireless options...

This is a discussion on Sky Anytime plus wireless options... within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I have successfully set up an old Dlink (virgin) router as a wireless Bridge to get Sky Anytime+ using the ...

ian.cooper277 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Anytime plus wireless options...

I have successfully set up an old Dlink (virgin) router as a wireless Bridge to get Sky Anytime+ using the DD-WRT site for the firmware to flash the Dlink Router(virgin) to enable it to be used as a bridge!!!!!

Main Page - DD-WRT Wiki

2. Advertisement
      angelfish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Fibreoptic
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dflour69 View Post
      What box do you have?

Hi there, I have the same exact issue where the vonets VAP11G bridge has been successfully set up on my computer but when I connect it to my sky, the amber and blue lights are lit but when I try to refresh the network through my sky box, it says FAIL and can't find the bridge.

The box is a DRX890 SKY+ HD.

Where am I going wrong?

Lambo51 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01202
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk Plus with Fibre
      Router: Huawei HG532
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looks like I have hit the same brickwall as others. I've just set up a Tenda W150M wifi bridge on my computer. I've connected to my Sky + HD box and get the following messages on the Network set up page:

Local Connection: OK
      Service Connection: FAIL
      IP Address: 192.168.2.20
      DHCP: OFF

The Tenda shows up on my PC with a strong signal; the security mode is WPA-PSK (as instructed) although my D-Link router security mode is WPA2-PSK, but given that the local connection is Ok, I'm not sure this is a significant point. Do I need Sky to do anything to enable my HD+ box. It is a Samsung box that I've had for a couple of years at least.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Please do take a look through the guide that I recently put together:

How to get Anytime+

If you are getting an IP Address allocated, then the Sky+ HD STB is talking to the router. From there you need to check that the traffic isn't being blocked, that Anytime+ has been enabled (can take a couple of days to fully process) and that your connection isn't too busy.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Lambo51 (29-04-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lambo51 View Post
      Looks like I have hit the same brickwall as others. I've just set up a Tenda W150M wifi bridge on my computer. I've connected to my Sky + HD box and get the following messages on the Network set up page:

Local Connection: OK
      Service Connection: FAIL
      IP Address: 192.168.2.20
      DHCP: OFF

The Tenda shows up on my PC with a strong signal; the security mode is WPA-PSK (as instructed) although my D-Link router security mode is WPA2-PSK, but given that the local connection is Ok, I'm not sure this is a significant point. Do I need Sky to do anything to enable my HD+ box. It is a Samsung box that I've had for a couple of years at least.
      Unless you have changed the default IP address of your Sky router, you should be seeing a 192.168.0.xx IP address. If you have not, then what is happening is that the Sky box is connecting to the Tenda but not the Sky router. You will have to change the IP address of the Tenda to one in the range of the Sky router. 192.168.0.200 should be fine. I think you should be using 'Client+AP Mode', with the DHCP server turned off or disabled. Try that and report back.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless you have changed the default IP address of your Sky router, you should be seeing a 192.168.0.xx IP address. If you have not, then what is happening is that the Sky box is connecting to the Tenda but not the Sky router. You will have to change the IP address of the Tenda to one in the range of the Sky router. 192.168.0.200 should be fine. I think you should be using 'Client+AP Mode', with the DHCP server turned off or disabled. Try that and report back.
      Still no joy. I've configured the Tenda AP/Router per the set up instructions - and this seems to be OK. I have set it up in the 'Client + AP mode' and it picks up the settings of my D Link router (from Talk Talk). The IP address for setting up the Tenda is 192.168.2.1 with a default gateway of 192.168.2.254.

However, the IP address for the D Link router is 192.168.1.1, so when I connect to the Sky HD+ STB I cannot find the network settings by pressing the Reset button, but have to go to manual set up. What should I be using for each of the set up headings:

IP Address
      Subnet - that bit is easy!
      Gateway router - from the D Link set up or the Tenda?
      DNS - per Scubbie's guide, this could be 8.8.8.8 or 62.24.134.1 per my D Link set up details?

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks

However, the IP address for the D Link router is 192.168.1.1,
      Sorry, I did not notice you were not using a Sky router. In your case you will have to change the Tenda's IP to one in the 192.168.1.1-254 range. Set the Tenda as follows-
      IP address..192.168.1.254
      Subnet......255.255.255.0
      Gateway ...192.168.1.1
      DNS..........208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS, I don't particularly like using Google)

Turn off the DHCP server in the Tenda.

In the Sky box, set the following manually if it will not connect automatically.
      IP Address..192.168.1.200
      Subnet.......255.255.255.0
      Gateway.....192.168.1.1
      DNS...........208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS)

If you set the details manually the DHCP on the Sky box will show as OFF. This is normal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      In your case you will have to change the Tenda's IP to one in the 192.168.1.1-254 range.
      I really appreciate you help and suggestions, but oh boy - nothing is working! The Tenda apparently HAS to use 192.168.2.1 etc in order to set it up. This enables me to get to and set up the Tenda control panel. The set up instructions that I got over the internet for it are:

How to set-up Tenda W150M in Windows 7

Setting Up Tenda using Windows 7.

This guide assumes you have two Ethernet LAN sockets on your PC's Network card and you've connected the Tenda to the 2nd Ethernet Socket on your PC. If you only have one Ethernet socket on your PC's Network card then instead of Local Area Connection 2 you'd select Local Area Connection.
      1. Connect the LAN cable from the Tenda W150M to the PC LAN connector. (Don't connect to the router; it has to be connected to the PC LAN connector)
      2. Connect the USB power lead from PC USB Socket to Tenda (or connect the standalone power adapter if you don't have a free USB socket on the PC)
      3. Wait for the Tenda to power up then press the "Mode" button once for Client-AP Mode.
      4. In Windows 7 click on the Windows/Start Icon at the bottom left of the screen.
      5. Click on Control Panel
      6. Click on Network and Internet
      7. Click on Network and Sharing Centre
      8. Click on Local Area Connection 2
      9. Click on Properties.
      10. Double Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPV4)
      11. Select “Use the following IP Address”
      12. Enter the following IP Address Number into the IP Address field, 192.168.2.20
      13. Enter the following Subnet mask Number, 255.255.255.0
      14. Enter the following Default Gateway Number, 192.168.2.1
      15. Click the OK button to apply the changes.
      You are now ready to connect to the Tenda control panel.
      16. Open your web browser, eg Internet Explorer or Firefox
      17. In the URL field of your web browser enter the following, http://192.168.2.1 and press the return key.
      18. Enter the admin panel of the Tenda by entering the default username and password.
      Username: admin
      Password: admin
      You’ll now see the Tenda W150M Control Panel.
      19. Click on Client+AP button at the top of the page, just to the right of the Black Tenda Logo.
      20. Click the “Next” button to continue.
      21. Click the “Scan” button to search for your wireless router.
      22. Choose your Sky Broadband Router from the search list (if there is more than one network showing in the list choose the one with the highest signal number)
      23. Set Security Mode to: WPA PSK
      24. Enter your Passphrase key. Enter the 8 digit Network Key of your Sky Broadband Router, example sbb12345.
      25. Click “Next” button
      26. The next screen shows the basic wireless settings, nothing needs to be altered on this page so just click the “Next” button to continue.
      27. The next screen shows wireless security settings for the Tenda; nothing needs to be altered on this page so just click the “Next” button to continue.
      28. You’ll now see the configuration is completed screen. Click on the “Apply” button to complete the installation.
      29. The reboot screen will appear, wait until the progress bar reaches 100%.
      Awesome! Your Tenda is now set-up and configured.
      You now just have to go back to the Local Area 2 Connection section in Windows Control Panel and remove the IP Address, subnet mask and Default gateway settings you set-up earlier.
      30. Click on Control Panel
      31. Click on Network and Internet
      32. Click on Network and Sharing Centre
      33. Click on Local Area Connection 2
      34. Click on Properties.
      35. Double Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPV4)
      36. Change settings to “obtain an IP address automatically” and press the “OK” button.
      37. Disconnect the Tenda from the PC and connect it to the satellite receiver.
      38. Enter the Network menu on your satellite receiver and enable the receiver's network settings.
      Set DHCP to Auto if you wish the router to assign an IP address automatically to the satellite receiver.
      Job completed. Your satellite receiver is now connected to the internet.

I've done all the above - except using the set up for my D Link router in steps 22-24. I can still only get a local connection, not a service connection. Is my next step to throw the thing as far away as I can!1

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks

I would follow the instructions you have as far as #29 then go back into the settings and change the IP address.

It is certainly possible to change the IP address of the router. If you do not have it go here and download the user manual - W150M 150Mbps Portable Wireless AP/Router Download-Download Center-Shenzhen Tenda Technology Co., Ltd. Tenda Official Website
      It is a Word document, which is unusual for a manual and if you do not have Word could pose a problem.

First go to page #70, locate the page on the GUI of the router and untick the box for Enable DHCP Server.
      Go to page 47, where it deals with LAN settings, and locate the relevant page on the router set up. Change the address (page 48) to 192.168.1.254. On page #49, do the same with the IP address and change the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1. The rest can be left as is. When you make this change you may loose contact with the router. If you do, use the Instructions in 5-15, but this time change the IP to 192.168.1.20 and the Gateway to 192.168.1.254. Remember to Click Apply after each change. This will give you access to the router again, where you can check all your settings.

If everything is OK, follow 30-36 to change the PC back to Obtain an address Automatically. Plug the Tenda into your Sky box and you should connect.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks Tom for your help. I managed to change the settings in the Tenda as above - but still no joy with the connection. Looking through the manual in the Troubleshooting section, do you think I need to reset the 'Enable DHCP' box. I tried the Tenda connected to my laptop as a router and it doesn't connect to the internet from there. I'm going to print off the manual and study it. I'm feeling more confident about getting 'techy' with this - could be dangerous I know, but I know how to reset to factory settings if all else fails. I'll try any other suggestions you might have though.

Tony

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast