Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By dog-man

Sky 3d dead?

This is a discussion on Sky 3d dead? within the Sky 3D forums, part of the Sky+ HD Supertelly category; Hi , just wanted to gain some insight and see if Sky 3d is by and large dead? There doesn't ...

funkyman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky 3d dead?

Hi , just wanted to gain some insight and see if Sky 3d is by and large dead? There doesn't appear to be any sports being shown it.
      Is it on the way out?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Sky 3d dead?

I'm not sure what they are doing with Sky 3D at the moment.

A few months ago they cut the weekday day time content citing lack of viewing figures.

The 3D football on this evening is from 2012. There are a few other similar programmes scattered over the week, but nothing live and this year.

The rest is filled with some 3D films and various documentaries.

Of course there is Alice Cooper's Halloween Night of Fear on Friday too, but this is a repeat from last year.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I am very disappointed in the way that sky have seemingly lost interest in 3D.
      They were pushing it like hell at one time and that is partly why I purchased a 3D television.

Perhaps they would be so kind as to refund me the extra cost for the 3D element of my television?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

To be fair to sky, they have tried pretty hard with 3d.
      Apart from a few progs from the BBC over the last few years, not seen many other broadcasters (here or worldwide) really taken it on a level as much as sky.
      But the public have basically not taken to it as a permanent feature.
      Also, many broadcasters and filmmakers are not producing the content now to add to the 3d channel on sky, hence the repeats.
      Myself, friends and family all now demand we watch the 2d version in the cinema too, not that many 3d films show now.

As for sport, a large local pub near me that is always heaving for the sky/bt football matches, took sky 3d up when it started (it was fun for a short time, but became a fad), their 3d glasses all sit in a dustbin in the corner gathering dust. Noone even asks about 3d despite the promotional signage still up in the pub.
      Their ongoing voting system that asks for 3d amongst other things shows 2d is 100% in favour of 3d now for sports.

The sky sports 3d at one the f1 testing sessions basically added nothing with 3d for me and many others in Motorsport. It does not always work.

Probably helped sell a lot of tvs for those that already had HD, much like 4k and curved screens is trying to do now.
      Sure we will see it back again in a decade with a post 8k/16k setup and no glasses. The fun aspect always helps
      Last edited by lettice; 30-10-14 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks

I think that it is fair to say that in a Cinema, where everyone is seated in a darkened room, or at home in similar conditions, 3D works well.

I can see issues in a pub environment. Too much background light, a desire to move around and often look away to chat with your mates is going to ruin the 3D experience.

In Sky's favour they have made 3D free for anyone with a suitable TV & HD pack. Previously you needed the full Sky world pack to get 3D.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Come on 3D on a telly was a pile of junk, wildly expensive and you had to wear glasses. No wonder it never took off. When they perfect 3D that just works, can be switched of or on when wanted, does not involve wearing silly glasses to decode it and the idiotically high prices come hammering down it is never going to be popular. It will only ever appeal to a niche market that like to say " oh look my telly has 3D."

Thanks

There are some TVs which claim to be able to let you view them in 3D without glasses already. They are also working on a holographic TV.

I like my 3D TV. Admittedly most of the content I watch is limited to 2D as wearing the glasses all the time isn't a good idea.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

My family don't mind wearing 3D glasses if they are comfortable, which ours are.

The 3D image is outstanding in most films / shows on my TV. Perhaps it depends on the TV.

I too would prefer not to have to wear them, but it's no big deal at all.

In my opinion, the film 'Gravity' was only awesome because it was in 3D. The film without the 3D effect was just average in my opinion.

My television can also turn non 3D stuff into 3D, but for it to be worth watching, the source has to be in HD.

I am very happy with my 3D television, but wish there was more 3D stuff being shown on sky.
      Scubbie likes this.