Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Static IP address?

This is a discussion on Static IP address? within the Router stats forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I hope somebody may be able to help as I'm tearing my hair out here! I have been advised by ...

DRGW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Static IP address?

I hope somebody may be able to help as I'm tearing my hair out here!

I have been advised by Epson that I need a static IP address?

I've not got a clue what they mean so I'll provide a brief summary here.

I have a Samsung Laptop (Windows 8) and an Epson SX515W printer.

The printer is capable of printing via WiFi and it worked perfectly on my previous laptop (Windows 7)

Since having my new laptop I can get my SX515W printing via WiFi but as soon as I switch off the laptop and printer it will no longer print the following day.

Initially Epson advised it was a Windows 8 issue. I've been printing via USB which is a pain as the printer is located elsewhere in the house.

Today Epson advised that I need a static IP address as this is the reason I am having these issues.

Can somebody help?

Thanks

Dave

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Static IP address?

With your printer switched on is it listed as a connected device in your router's web interface. If so check the ip address that it has been allocated. Then on your PC select your printer and right click to select printer properties from the menu. If the ip address in printer properties is different to the ip address your router has allocated this would explain why you are unable to print. If you reinstall your printer drivers it should pick up the correct ip address but if your router is going to allocate a different one the next time you switch your printer on then this is probably why Epson support are suggesting you set up a static ip address. Best done by leaving your printer to find its ip address using DHCP but telling your router to always allocate the same ip address for your printer by linking it to the printer's MAC address. How to do this will depend on what model router you have. It will be different to mine as my ISP is not Sky but if you are having problems figuring this out post you router model number or add it to your profile and I am sure someone with the same router will be able to offer further advice.

Router:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      With your printer switched on is it listed as a connected device in your router's web interface. If so check the ip address that it has been allocated. Then on your PC select your printer and right click to select printer properties from the menu. If the ip address in printer properties is different to the ip address your router has allocated this would explain why you are unable to print. If you reinstall your printer drivers it should pick up the correct ip address but if your router is going to allocate a different one the next time you switch your printer on then this is probably why Epson support are suggesting you set up a static ip address. Best done by leaving your printer to find its ip address using DHCP but telling your router to always allocate the same ip address for your printer by linking it to the printer's MAC address. How to do this will depend on what model router you have. It will be different to mine as my ISP is not Sky but if you are having problems figuring this out post you router model number or add it to your profile and I am sure someone with the same router will be able to offer further advice.
      Thanks for your reply. I haven't got a clue what you were talking about but it sounded good! lol

My router is a Sagemcom. I can't see a model number on it anywhere.

Where do I find my router's web interface?

I don't know what you mean with DHCP or MAC address. :-(

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRGW View Post
      Thanks for your reply. I haven't got a clue what you were talking about but it sounded good! lol

My router is a Sagemcom. I can't see a model number on it anywhere.

Where do I find my router's web interface?

I don't know what you mean with DHCP or MAC address. :-(
      So you'll want to go to:
      http://192.168.0.1/
      which will load the routers web interface (its settings screen)

Then click Maintenance at the top of the screen

You will be prompted for login details, which should be:
      username: admin
      password: sky
      You should save these in case you forget in future.

Then when loaded, select Attached Devices from the second line of options on the Maintenance page.

This will list the MAC addresses and IP addresses and Device names of everything connected to your router.

Now Click on Advanced from the top of page. Then from menu below select LAN IP Setup.
      On this page you can set it so that your connected devices always have the same internal IP address.

So Click ADD this will load a listing of everything connected to the the router.
      Select the device from the list by clicking the radio button on the left, you will see it now populates underneath with the MAC address and IP address it would be best to give it a more readable name to help you if having to troubleshoot any further problems later.
      Then Click ADD.

Repeat for any additional devices you want to add.

Then Click Apply. The router will then warn it will reboot. Click Okay

Router:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      So you'll want to go to:
      http://192.168.0.1/
      which will load the routers web interface (its settings screen)

Then click Maintenance at the top of the screen

You will be prompted for login details, which should be:
      username: admin
      password: sky
      You should save these in case you forget in future.

Then when loaded, select Attached Devices from the second line of options on the Maintenance page.

This will list the MAC addresses and IP addresses and Device names of everything connected to your router.

Now Click on Advanced from the top of page. Then from menu below select LAN IP Setup.
      On this page you can set it so that your connected devices always have the same internal IP address.

So Click ADD this will load a listing of everything connected to the the router.
      Select the device from the list by clicking the radio button on the left, you will see it now populates underneath with the MAC address and IP address it would be best to give it a more readable name to help you if having to troubleshoot any further problems later.
      Then Click ADD.

Repeat for any additional devices you want to add.

Then Click Apply. The router will then warn it will reboot. Click Okay
      Thanks

I've followed your instructions and even named the device Epson_SX515W.

Everything printer fine via WiFi. I then turned everything off and it won't print again. :-(

I've gone back into the settings and the device Epson_SX515W isn't listed!

Thanks

Leave the printer switched on for a while and see if it negotiates a connection. you will probably have to refresh the web page to see any changes. If the printer fails to make a connection then there should be a status indicator on the printer to show why the connection failed. Check the handbook that came with the printer.

Router:
      Thanks

Still nothing. :-(

The device I had set-up Epson_SX515W isn't listed on the router settings. :-(

Thanks

Is there a lamp/display on the printer that indicates the connection status? If it is showing not connected you may have to follow the instructions in the printer manual for connecting to a wi-fi access point.

Router:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Is there a lamp/display on the printer that indicates the connection status? If it is showing not connected you may have to follow the instructions in the printer manual for connecting to a wi-fi access point.
      The led on the printer shows it is connected to the WiFi. On Epson's advice I have reinstalled EpsonNet which is their software to make the printer work via WiFi. Everything I have tried all appears to work until I turn off the printer and laptop. When they are next turned on the printer no longer works via WiFi!

I have other devices connected to my Wifi and have no other issues (Samsung Smart TV, Samsung Bluray player, Laptop, Tablet). The only one which now causes problems is my printer. :-(

Thanks

Are all the other devices that are connected by wi-fi (laptop, tablet etc.) showing in the list of Attached Devices? If so check the list again to make sure it is not listed with a different name. If definitely not there and the indicator on the printer shows it is connected could it be connected to another unsecured wi-fi access point (AP). Check the manual, there may be a series of button presses to force the printer to print out a status page which among other things should show the identity of the AP it is connected to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast