Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fitted ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - Can I get more Speed?

This is a discussion on Fitted ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - Can I get more Speed? within the Router stats forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi as per "isitme's" request I have started another thread. I have fitted the filter plate and everythings running fine, ...

crazylegs1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedminster - Bristol
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fitted ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - Can I get more Speed?

Hi as per "isitme's" request I have started another thread.

I have fitted the filter plate and everythings running fine, My questions now are:

1. Based on the router stats posted below can I get any faster d/l and or upload speeds?
      I think Sky still have me on SVBN (even though I asked them to reprofile me a while back)

2. What is the max length of ADSL cable you would recommend?
      My router is plugged directly into the filter plate, but there is no power outlet near (I currently have it plugged into a kitchen outlet. (the adsl cable going round the kitchen door frame) The power socket I'd lke to use is 30ft away (by the time you run the cable round the kitchen door frame etc. Is this too long and will I lose signal strength?

3. Another alternative to the above is to run a extension gang strip round the door and plug the router into this - I was told that the router MUST be plugged directly into a socket in order to function correctly - is this true?

Here are my current router stats:

Statistics

System Up Time: 0:48:48
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 5825 4636 0 60 46 0:47:46
      LAN 17437 20867 0 222 222 0:48:48
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 0:48:21
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3681 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.5 db 23.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 14.2 db

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Fitted ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - Can I get more Speed?

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs1977 View Post
      System Up Time: 0:48:48
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 5825 4636 0 60 46 0:47:46
      LAN 17437 20867 0 222 222 0:48:48
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 0:48:21
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3681 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.5 db 23.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 14.2 db

1. Based on the router stats posted below can I get any faster d/l and or upload speeds?
      I think Sky still have me on SVBN (even though I asked them to reprofile me a while back)
      Are you sure you mean 'SVBN'? SVBN is Sky Voice and Broadband Network i.e. Sky's MPF network. SVBN is a type of circuit, not a setting on the line that can be reprofiled.

If you aren't getting mixed up and do mean SVBN, then it would look like you are. Call 17070 and if you get through to 'Zoe', then you're on SVBN. If you reach the BT test facility, then you're not on SVBN.

If you mean 'g.dmt', by any chance, then the line is currently on adsl2plus, not g.dmt.

Anyway, no, the stats show no room for improvement as it stands.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs1977 View Post
      2. What is the max length of ADSL cable you would recommend?
      My router is plugged directly into the filter plate, but there is no power outlet near (I currently have it plugged into a kitchen outlet. (the adsl cable going round the kitchen door frame) The power socket I'd lke to use is 30ft away (by the time you run the cable round the kitchen door frame etc. Is this too long and will I lose signal strength?
      My opinion - as short as possible. Are you currently using the short grey dsl cable supplied by Sky, or an extension from the faceplate?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Are you sure you mean 'SVBN'? SVBN is Sky Voice and Broadband Network i.e. Sky's MPF network. SVBN is a type of circuit, not a setting on the line that can be reprofiled.

If you aren't getting mixed up and do mean SVBN, then it would look like you are. Call 17070 and if you get through to 'Zoe', then you're on SVBN. If you reach the BT test facility, then you're not on SVBN.
      Thanks: It was you who 1st said I might be on SVBN in another thread here Try your master socket for better results post #276. As a result I called them to ask for my download and upload speeds to be reprofiled, but am not sure they have been.

Sorry forgot to mention: Dialling 17070 - I get through to 'Zoe' - so am on SVBN
      My opinion - as short as possible. Are you currently using the short grey dsl cable supplied by Sky, or an extension from the faceplate?
      Using the cable supplied by sky, plugged directly into the filterplate.
      Last edited by crazylegs1977; 28-07-11 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional Info

Exchange:
      Thanks

Seems to me that DLM has probably ran again from your last set of stats. Did you have some internal wiring issues at some point? If DLM ran whilst these were present, then you may have been put on a more 'conservative' profile. Even though there is not much SNR spare at all, calling Sky and asking them to manually reprofile the line would prove if this was the case or not. Just out of curiosity:

Any noise or issues on your landline now?
      Are the stats the same from the test socket - noise figures etc.?

Thanks

Seems to me that DLM has probably ran again from your last set of stats. Did you have some internal wiring issues at some point? If DLM ran whilst these were present, then you may have been put on a more 'conservative' profile. Even though there is not much SNR spare at all, calling Sky and asking them to manually reprofile the line would prove if this was the case or not. Just out of curiosity:

Any noise or issues on your landline now?
      Are the stats the same from the test socket - noise figures etc.?
      Thanks Hope this helps:

Until I fitted the filterplate today, the router was plugged directly into the test socket using a sky supplied filter dongle for approx 2 months,to ensure that internal wiring was not an issue. The stats are the same. However during this time my dl went as high as 6meg and they did a couple of line test too (last one finished on July 24th) I did have a voice phone plugged into the filter that was in the test socket as all the extensions were obviously disconnected - could this have made a difference and forced DLM to kick in? Oh an no there are no noise issues on the landline now.

Based on the above is it worth calling to get my 'conservative' profile updated?

NB all I have done since the above is fitted the filter plate (connecting wires 2 & 5 as my extensions are not wired individually) and plugged the router into the plate without the dongle.

Cheers for your help!

Exchange:
      Thanks

You've done everything that you can on your end, so I'd advise to call up Sky and see what they can do for you. May just need a reprofile or it may be a line fault.

Thanks

You've done everything that you can on your end, so I'd advise to call up Sky and see what they can do for you. May just need a reprofile or it may be a line fault.
      I was pretty sure I had done everything I could at my end. Funny you should mention possibility of faulty line. I had to ring sky a few days ago as my connection kept dropping. (It's Ok at the moment though). They guy said it could be a fault on the line and rose a ticket, telling me to call back if it persisted.

When calling sky should I just ask for a reprofile - explaining that I've fitted a filter plate - or will I have to go through all the hoops (which I don't mind doing if needed but would love to avoid is poss

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just ring up and say that your speed is slower than you'd expect. Just fire through the questions asked and I can only assume someone should try reprofiling it rather quickly into the call. If that fails, then it'll likely be escalated and then Openreach can be booked out if need be.

Thanks

Just ring up and say that your speed is slower than you'd expect. Just fire through the questions asked and I can only assume someone should try reprofiling it rather quickly into the call. If that fails, then it'll likely be escalated and then Openreach can be booked out if need be.
      OK, Just rang sky and asked. Lady I spoke to agrees I should be getting higher download speed, but said they couldn't reprofile me without 1st testing the line. I explained about the filter plate in master socket and she said they could only test the line if I put the microfilters back into the extensions for the sky boxes. (I thought the point of the filter plate was to negate the need for microfilters on any extensions that were only used for voice - Is this correct? and said as much to her) Anyway she wouldn't budge so have plugged them back in and now awaiting a callback for a line test.....

Oh the joy of going through hoops!
      Last edited by crazylegs1977; 28-07-11 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling error

Exchange:
      Thanks

She's talking nonsense. I'd call again. The line does not need 'tested' before reprofiling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast