Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Fitted ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - Can I get more Speed?

This is a discussion on Fitted ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - Can I get more Speed? within the Router stats forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by Isitme If you don't get anywhere following User05's advice, which is the best by the way, try ...

crazylegs1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedminster - Bristol
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Fitted ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - Can I get more Speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you don't get anywhere following User05's advice, which is the best by the way, try asking them to switch your line to G.DMT. If the errors your line is generating are in the high frequencies, this will improve the speed and stability on your line.
      I'll wait for CST to call back with their findings and then suggest what you say depending on them.

One other thing. I have no power socket near my master socket. The closest power socket is around 30ft (allowing for proper routing of adsl cable). Which of the following would you suggest I do:

1. Run a longer ADSL cable and position the router nearer the socket? I was looking to buy either of these - which is best?

Ultra High Speed ADSL Cables ADSL Accessories : Maplin

or

BT Router cable 10M RJ11 TO RJ11 ADSL MODEM CABLE Very Long 15M RJ11 broadband - Modem & Telephone Accessories RJ11 ADSL Cables. Telephone Extension Cable.

2. Keep the ADSL cable shorter, and run a extension power-strip from the wall socket and plug the router PSU into this? I need to use a homeplug to get my wired connection upstairs where the PC's are (I can't run ethernet cable through the ceilings etc as property is rented) I would then need to run a longer eithernet cable over the door frame to the socket where the homeplug is

In summary:

1. Is it ok to plug the routers power lead into a power strip? (Sky told me it's best not to) Same applies to the Homeplug adaptor - ie needs to be in a main socket

2. Is it better to have a longer ethernet cable (in which case I have to use a power-strip) or plug the routers power into the socket directly (in which case I need a longer - better - adsl cable)

Thanks

Hope this makes sense!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is nothing to prevent you plugging your router into a power strip. Whoever told you not to do that was talking nonsense and probably meant the router should be plugged into the master phone socket and not an extension. However it is not recommended plugging homeplugs into a power strip. What I would do in your position is keep the router close to the master socket and use an ethernet cable to connect to your homeplug.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

With the current changes coming in (i.e. introduction of FTTC & FTTP) I would heartedly agree with Tom's suggestion.

By plugging the router near to the master socket & supplying power to that location, should you change to another form of broadband at a later date, your ADSL extension wouldn't be wasted.

It is quite easy to fit a long Ethernet cable. If the cable were either Cat 5e or Cat 6, it would also be able to cope with a 1Gbit LAN in the future.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is nothing to prevent you plugging your router into a power strip. Whoever told you not to do that was talking nonsense and probably meant the router should be plugged into the master phone socket and not an extension. However it is not recommended plugging homeplugs into a power strip. What I would do in your position is keep the router close to the master socket and use an ethernet cable to connect to your homeplug.
      Cheers. I thought they were talking nonsense! I'll keep the adsl cable short plug router into power strip and run some cat5e cable (I have a box spare from a previous install) from the homeplug.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With the current changes coming in (i.e. introduction of FTTC & FTTP) I would heartedly agree with Tom's suggestion.

By plugging the router near to the master socket & supplying power to that location, should you change to another form of broadband at a later date, your ADSL extension wouldn't be wasted.

It is quite easy to fit a long Ethernet cable. If the cable were either Cat 5e or Cat 6, it would also be able to cope with a 1Gbit LAN in the future.
      I know I ran some cat 5e for my mum who lives in a three storey house! so my run around a kitchen door frame is a piece of cake! I am also planning on adding 1Gbit Lan awitch anyway for my network so will kill 2 birds with one stone.

Plus it'll keep the other half happy as the router will be on the wall behind front door!

Thanks

Hi.

I'd like to upgrade to wireless N and 1GBit LAN. Can anyone suggest a good router/switch combo or seperates that I can use with the Sagem router provided by sky (ie piggyback onto) to achieve this.

I quite like the look of: DIR-655: Wireless N Gigabit Router - Find an ADSL modem or a wireless router for wireless networking at home from D-Link, from D-Link Home as a 'all in one' solution.

Alternatively. Could I buy a wireless N router (any suggestions on good ones) and a seperate gigabit switch (again any suggestions on good ones)

Thanks, oh and sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum feel free to move the thread if you need to!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123