Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: SKY Broadband is a big scam to earn money from customer service phone calls

Voters
    70. You may not vote on this poll
    • Strongly agree

7 10.00%
    • Agree

5 7.14%
    • Disagree

42 60.00%
    • Not sure

5 7.14%
    • No comment - Biased Poll

11 15.71%
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls?

This is a discussion on Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls? within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; Well done for calling them and getting things resolved. As with any call centre, the people at the other end ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls?

Well done for calling them and getting things resolved.

As with any call centre, the people at the other end will be going through a series of steps. In the case of Sky Tech Support (tier 1 specifically) they will have a specific list of things to go through. During this will be a series of things that they can look at at their end.

Simple things that you and I might take for granted (such as plugging in the PSU) do actually get missed by some members of the public and do need to be checked through carefully.

How many times have you heard of someone switching on a computer, only to find that they are only switching on the monitor? It happens.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls?

Quote Originally Posted by r.g7 View Post
      Hello All.

This is my first post and I have registered solely to post in this thread, which I found through Google. I typed in "sky tech support scam". My reasons for doing so?

Well, after two days of tinternet non-connectivity, I finally caved and phoned Sky Tech Support (using the 0800 number I must add, therefore, it's not cost me anything).

After sitting through the usual troubleshooting rigmarole of question after question, about fifteen munites into the call, miraculously my wee "@" light came back on solid green. The thing is... I did nothing. I didn't act on any of the female technician's instructions, I just sat there and said yeah and agreed, because I've done this all before with Sky. It certainly wasn't anything I did that prompted the reconnection.

Obviously there's a chance that this is just coincidence and my internet just happened to start working whilst I was on the phone to tech support, and I'm also open to the suggestion that the woman was actually working on reinstating my connection whilst distracting me with doing mundane filter replacements/socket questions (none of which I actually did).

The cynic in me thinks there is something not right about the fact I had to phone Sky and go through a ten minute long charade before someone pushes a button and reconnects me. As I've said I used the 0800 number so it hasn't cost me anything and I'm not on here to lampoon Sky or say whether or not they are 'at it' in this instance. But I just thought my experience was relevant to the thread.

If you are phoning tech support, my advice (although it is merely stating the obvious) is to do so using the 0800 number mentioned in this thread. Because if I had used the 0845 number I would not have been too chuffed.
      If your Internet light was solid Amber she probably just bounced the port.

When calling ask and we can call you back on your mobile.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345