Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: SKY Broadband is a big scam to earn money from customer service phone calls

Voters
    70. You may not vote on this poll
    • Strongly agree

7 10.00%
    • Agree

5 7.14%
    • Disagree

42 60.00%
    • Not sure

5 7.14%
    • No comment - Biased Poll

11 15.71%
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls?

This is a discussion on Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls? within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; Originally Posted by rajhossain sorry i never worked at sky and dont know the tricks to get free phone number. ...

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls?

Quote Originally Posted by rajhossain View Post
      sorry i never worked at sky and dont know the tricks to get free phone number. I am out here among the 99% who calls the number provided by the service provider.
      I don't work for Sky either. What does that have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      Yeah 14 minutes isn't really anything. When Sky first lanched their broadband service I was on hold for over two hours once before I was cut off as the lines closed.
      14 minutes is nothing. I used to wait a good 45 minutes for Pipex and I had to pay for that. When I used to have to call NTL the tech helpline cost 1 a minute!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      rajhossain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNBKG
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      0800 051 2595
      Free number is now BLOCKED by sky they do not take any call from this number! any other free number you have?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

No - sorry you will have to ring the normal number I am afraid.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok Sky charge for calls but what about the very cheap monthly charge for the broadband service, 0.00 to 10.00, against 15 to 30 from other suppliers. I know which I would prefere, at the end of the day SKy have to make some money somewhere!!

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I disagree about Sky being a scam, all the companies (as said above) do this... so whats new??

However with regard to the freephone number, yep its gone now. But to be fair to the "many" users out there who don't know about this forum, they would of not known anyway about it..and called the national advertised number.

My advice to anyone who perhaps is calling Customer Services and are on for a long period and its down to Sky's incompetence and having you running around in circles, is to make a note of all calls you think you should not have had to do (taking CSR's name/extension etc..and call duration)

ie: promised a call back, and no one did or an ongoing issue and you have waited sensible and reasonable time to resolve.

And email support for a refund outlining why..

Or you can always use support via email.. it is free after all..

Ged

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

also if u spend a long time ringing them, tell them and they will usually refund their money especially if they are at fault!

Anomie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, don't forget to try SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers where three geographical numbers are listed as an alternative to the more costly 0870 numbers.
      However, I haven't had any need to contact support as yet. The guy who signed me up was brilliant and most helpful. Furthermore, everything happened as promised on time and I could hardly believe how easy the setup was. All I did was plug the thing in and it just worked - even the wireless. How easy is that? Not the actions of an ISP that wants to make money out of support? I once spent 40 minutes on the phone to Pipex. Quite frankly I think the main reason that Sky (controversially) embed the username and password in the router is so that people who have little knowledge of ADSL, modems and routers, find the setup easier. The simplicity of setup blew me away! No need for the CD, just plug and play.
      This wonderful site must ease the load of support considerably, too?

Graham
      Graham Cutting

rajhossain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNBKG
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Left Sky a while ago as they blame BT for and says the phone line is at fault & old. And I can only get up to 1.2 mb with sky with Max.

But hey same line another service provider now I get up to 6.5mb!

I have the right to call sky tech support=dishonest. not a sky customer any more but very happy and living my life normal.

draithatha is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Is Sky Broadband Is A Big Scam To Earn Money From Customer Service Phone Calls?

what is the the free phone no - no on forum request you to dial a charge call no Please help as I am getting the same problems as everyone else

r.g7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello All.

This is my first post and I have registered solely to post in this thread, which I found through Google. I typed in "sky tech support scam". My reasons for doing so?

Well, after two days of tinternet non-connectivity, I finally caved and phoned Sky Tech Support (using the 0800 number I must add, therefore, it's not cost me anything).

After sitting through the usual troubleshooting rigmarole of question after question, about fifteen munites into the call, miraculously my wee "@" light came back on solid green. The thing is... I did nothing. I didn't act on any of the female technician's instructions, I just sat there and said yeah and agreed, because I've done this all before with Sky. It certainly wasn't anything I did that prompted the reconnection.

Obviously there's a chance that this is just coincidence and my internet just happened to start working whilst I was on the phone to tech support, and I'm also open to the suggestion that the woman was actually working on reinstating my connection whilst distracting me with doing mundane filter replacements/socket questions (none of which I actually did).

The cynic in me thinks there is something not right about the fact I had to phone Sky and go through a ten minute long charade before someone pushes a button and reconnects me. As I've said I used the 0800 number so it hasn't cost me anything and I'm not on here to lampoon Sky or say whether or not they are 'at it' in this instance. But I just thought my experience was relevant to the thread.

If you are phoning tech support, my advice (although it is merely stating the obvious) is to do so using the 0800 number mentioned in this thread. Because if I had used the 0845 number I would not have been too chuffed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast