Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: How would you rate your SKY router

Voters
    111. You may not vote on this poll
    • Excellent

30 27.03%
    • Good

20 18.02%
    • Average

24 21.62%
    • Poor

18 16.22%
    • Useless

19 17.12%
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky netgear routers are rubbish

This is a discussion on Sky netgear routers are rubbish within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; Has anyone thought about the wireless adapter you're using? I had the same disconnect problem which was driving me round ...

alexg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Sky netgear routers are rubbish

Has anyone thought about the wireless adapter you're using? I had the same disconnect problem which was driving me round the bend for months. I tried literally everything I could read or think of myself.

I use a Netgear PCMCIA card for which I recently upgraded the firmware (version 4.4) and since, my connection is not dropping anymore. I also stopped having Rx errors on my receive statistics, which were running extremely high before the firmware upgrade (2000 in a couple hours)

What has changed since the firmware upgrade is that when configured in Auto 108Mbps at both ends the max my card can connect at is 54Mbps. This is of no importance to me as now it actually works.

The wireless adapater I use is - Netgear WG511T.
      The firmware dl page is here - Support Page

2. Advertisement
      davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky netgear routers are rubbish

Well, one thing I do know is that Netgears wireless products, for the same generation as the sky unit, have come under some fire for being a little unreliable ( by that I mean poor transfer rates and dropouts ). Also, I tend to hear that people using different Netgear products with Sky are not having so many problems, which again makes me think it is the specific router Sky chose.

I agree the Sky technical help are completely. They have absolutely no concept of how their system works. They just seem to have a 1,2,3 answer book that they select the nearest one and read out the "answer". I called the other day and wasted 2.50's worth of phone calls on three different support staff, none of which even knew that the modem required a username and password to log on to access your broadband service.

I thought you could not use anything other than the kit Sky provided.
      I have been on the forum less than 24 hours, and already had to seek out the information to "bypass" Sky's security! Sky's inistance that you use their equipment only, is completely stupid. I see their reasons, but then they need to offer a wider range of equipment to suit the needs of all their customers. I already a have a very specific router on my system so I don't want theirs in the way too! Unfortunately, with nearly all routers on the market it is not possible to disable the routing function. From day one it was essential that I obtained the username and password and configure up a different modem. I am using a DM111P, whcih is just a modem, nothing else.

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, words failed me when trying to think of an appropriate term for Sky support. Completely AAAGH! Is perhaps the closest I have been able to think of!

mikeandnaznin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01903
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just joined Sky and set up the router as instructed. On the due day it lit up and hey presto we were on-line. Alas, 24 hrs later I had no ADSL connection after a day of constant rebooting of the router. After several calls to Sky I was told it was a line problem and would be escalated - expect a call within 5 day.
      In desperation I uncovered the log-on and password within the Sky Netgear router, put it into an old Thompson ST330 ADSL modem and guess what?
      Connected straight away - good connection speed - no dropouts.
      I then set up a Dlink G624T wireless router and again no problems.

After a couple of days I retried the Netgear - tried disabling PNP - tried changing the security setting (all reccommendations found on this site) but nothing. So its back to the Dlink.

Why do Sky insist on their customers using this pile of c**p that must be costing a fortune in customer care calls etc, not to mention the customers that go elsewhere in frustration.

The question is - what to do next?
      Keep my head down and keep on with the Dlink?
      Tell Sky what I've had to do to get connected?
      Try to get the router changed?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I retract my statement on this thread on the 22nd Feb slating Sky routers, Since then I've found problems with my telephone wiring, both Sky routers now working perfectly!! Sorry Sky

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My opinion is netgear routers aren't very god in general. Previous to being with Sky I was with Zen and had a subnet of static IP Addresses (one of the options Zen give you if you don't want a single IP). I had to get rid of the netgear I had been previously using. The netgear DG834 doesn't handle routed IP. It can nat, but if you ask it to do some real routing it will fall over. This is a known bug but netgear refuse to fix it. Then there is multicast. Zen offered multicast, the netgear couldn't do that either. Then there is the poorly implemented UPnP stack. The wireless which doesn't have auto channel selection, doesn't do WPA2 Personal, has a poor 2dbi gain antenna. No IPv6 (although thats a bit of an ask for any low end router).

Other than the IPv6 my Zyxel 660 offers all of the above and more and it only cost my 15 inc delivery off ebay.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123