Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: My Connection has changed

Voters
    72. You may not vote on this poll
    • from MER to PPPoA

20 27.78%
    • from PPPoA to MER

11 15.28%
    • Always been MER

21 29.17%
    • Always been PPPoA

15 20.83%
    • I have no idea what you are on about

5 6.94%
    Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

Sky Connections Changing from MER to PPPoA

This is a discussion on Sky Connections Changing from MER to PPPoA within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; Sounds good, I might have to have a look for one of them. I've got a Buffalo WHR-G300N with DD-WRT ...

nevets5891 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESNRB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connections Changing from MER to PPPoA

Sounds good, I might have to have a look for one of them. I've got a Buffalo WHR-G300N with DD-WRT on it which I can connect for wireless, so that'd work out quite nicely.

2. Advertisement
      snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

if you do, try and get the 3B version.. as some of the 2's had over-heating issues and that problem was put right in the V3B - if the ebay adverts dont state simply ask the seller too look on the back and it will have it on there..

once you have it you need to flash it with unlocked firmware, I have written a script that tweaks the SNR Margin for you and reports the before and after speed/snrm

Iam busy working on one that will work with multiple routers

if you do get one, use the PDF for instructions on the website I linked too above, download the 'unlocked firmware' to use... then using your sky data, setup the modem following the Wiki guide on kitz website, follow it right through to the end including firewall edit etc..

the Huawei Echolife HG612 is actually the VDSL2 FTTC Modem that BT install at your home when you get FTTC.

there are also scripts that pull stats from your router and create graphs of them... a bit like Sky Router Tool for some sky routers
      Last edited by snadge; 18-10-12 at 12:36 AM.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

...here is an example of a montage of the graphs... there are also 'ongoing scripts' which can monitor your stats and show you whats going on over a time frame - these are great for diagnosing problems, I used them as evidence too sky when I had problems... i had before and after shots of my stats and showed them.

you can see noise on my line costing me around few hundred Kbps.. it is actually 2 local radio stations.. BBC Radio 5 Live and Magic FM

Ive actually gotten a 300k boost since this was taken after changing my wiring, so 19.4Mb should be achievable for me @ 3db (ive yet to try as Iam back on 16.6Mb at moment) although I will probably aim for 19Mb straight @ about 3.5db...

- Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

For info: The DGND3700v2 does appear to be considerably better than the v1. It has the more more GUI and allows Netgear Genie to interact with it. It is difficult to be sure which version you are getting if you place an order on-line as retailers just tend to list it as the "DGND3700". However the packaging does identify the v2, whereas the v1 is not identified on the packaging.

However, Sky uses a personalised version of MER. If you need to use MER on your connection then you will have to use the Sky router effectively as a Modem as Netgear has not released a firmware which supports Sky's version of MER. With this in mind it may be safer to either just purchase a Netgear Cable router as this would likely be cheaper for the same specs, or consider something else (i.e. Billion).

Many of Netgear's cable routers support DD-WRT and OpenWRT which would allow them to replace the Sky router on SFU and SFUP connections.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi scubbie,

what problems did the V1 have again? I cant remember, but i recall many people complaining about it and looking for fixes from Netgear on their forums.

also, with regards to MER, why would anyone 'need' to use it? - one can simply use PPPoA instead, it would seem silly to use multiple routers or avoid the router you want too use in order to use MER, especially as it appears users are being switched back to PPPoA anyway - I understand that some people may still be concerned that sky might prevent the use of PPPoA altogether in the future, but with the way things are going this is looking less and less likely, and even if they did one could just piggyback it onto the sky router at that stage (if it happens).
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

Talking of piggybacking, I've been trying to use my Buffalo WHR-G300N (with DD-WRT) again while I keep an eye out for an HG612, but I can't connect to the internet through it. I've dissabled DHCP, UPnP and wireless, then sertup the WHR to connect to it but no joy. I've got the sky router on 192.168.0.x and the WHR on 10.15.0.x

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I've got the sky router on 192.168.0.x and the WHR on 10.15.0.x
      You will have to give the Buffalo a WAN IP address in the same range as the Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

scubbie has a guide somewhere, but sounds like you may be getting it wrong way around...

the device thats piggybacking onto the 'modem' router is the one you turn off DHCP on, and the 'modem' one is the one you turn wifi off in - no need to change UPnP (well, I didnt)

so your WHR needs to have its LAN IP Address changed to something like 192.168.0.200, disable DHCP in that
      in your Sky router disable wifi.
      now turn off both devices and connect them together with a LAN cable, turn on the sky router then wait for it too connect and then turn on your WHR and wait, you should end up with broadband from any of your WHR LAN ports and its wifi signal

this is how I acheive it on mine...thanks too scubbies guide, until I read that I wasnt even aware one could do that!!! I thought you had to have a cable router...
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You will have to give the Buffalo a WAN IP address in the same range as the Sky router.
      I've got the WAN on the Buffalo connecting to the Sky on ip: 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.0.254 dns: 192.168.0.254, 10.15.0.x is for the Buffalo LAN side.

I tried putting the Buffalo in the Sky DMZ but it didn't make a difference. I don't know if I need to do something other than default with the firewall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      scubbie has a guide somewhere, but sounds like you may be getting it wrong way around...

the device thats piggybacking onto the 'modem' router is the one you turn off DHCP on, and the 'modem' one is the one you turn wifi off in - no need to change UPnP (well, I didnt)

so your WHR needs to have its LAN IP Address changed to something like 192.168.0.200, disable DHCP in that
      in your Sky router disable wifi.
      now turn off both devices and connect them together with a LAN cable, turn on the sky router then wait for it too connect and then turn on your WHR and wait, you should end up with broadband from any of your WHR LAN ports and its wifi signal

this is how I acheive it on mine...thanks too scubbies guide, until I read that I wasnt even aware one could do that!!! I thought you had to have a cable router...
      Thanks for that, I'll have a go after work tomorrow. The reason I went down the route I did is because of a guide I saw elsewhere that explained it that way, ie. a different ip range for each router, the Buffalo connecting via it's WAN port to the Sky, then using that as the internet connection for its own LAN.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sorry for the delay, I was out at the Cinema earlier and still catching up - it's been busy on here today.

Basically:

DGND3700v1 - many issues with slow connections & unable to remain connected. Personally I had issues connecting USB drives to it. One in particular had a large music collection.

An important thing about the DGND3700 that interested me was the fact that it had both ADSL and Ethernet WAN ports. It can effectively dial up on an ADSL connection itself and be the main router on your connection. With the Ethernet WAN port it can also connect on various cable system, but the v1 (don't know baout the v2) didn't connect on a friend VM connection as the main router. I didn't get a lot of chance to test this so it could have been something I was doing wrong. It does work on a BT FTTC connection though.

PPPoA is not available on all Sky ADSL connections. In some cases MER is all that is available.

Since the DGND3700 v1 & v2 can be used as either a Cable or ADSL router, it is possible to use either the guide I wrote, where it would become just an Access Point or the guide that Tom wrote, where it will control the LAN and pass the Internet traffic through the Sky router.

How to connect two Routers together

Using the DLink DIR613.

Taking into account the various extras, such as superior Parental Controls, guest WiFi (unusable when piggybacked), Netgear Genie app, which are all now available with the v2, I would prefer to use the router as the router to control my LAN, otherwise why not spend less money and just get a Wireless Extender?

Since DD-WRT and OpenWRT are not available on either version of the DGND3800, anyone considering getting Sky Fibre would be best advised to either follow Tom's guide, leaving both the BT Modem and Sky Router in place, or consider getting a router which is supported by either DD-WRT or OpenWRT.

I hope this helps in some way to clarify some issues.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast