Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which one is better?

Voters
    64. You may not vote on this poll
    • Sky Player

15 23.44%
    • BBC iPlayer

45 70.31%
    • Never used either

3 4.69%
    • Really not interested

1 1.56%
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Player or BBC iPlayer

This is a discussion on Sky Player or BBC iPlayer within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; I hadnt noticed that, thanks for the heads up...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Player or BBC iPlayer

I hadnt noticed that, thanks for the heads up

2. Advertisement
      clactonradio is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clacton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

I have only tried the BBC iplayer.
      Also ITVs catch up one is better than skys.
      My speed

-db10: is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i think you can watch bbc programmes live as well through their website just not on the iPlayer bit.

iplayer is much better than sky player. also bbc HD programmes are available on iplayer which is good.

i'm currently having a problem with sky player. sometimes movies just appear in my library that i didn't choose to download and i have no idea when or why they did download. unless i'm using it i always exit the app completely. obviously this unwanted downloading is taking up bandwidth and storage space and is annoying.

garyhopkin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again

I think we should throw this into the mix aswell, also viewable on iphone/touch.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

unless i'm using it i always exit the app completely. obviously this unwanted downloading is taking up bandwidth and storage space and is annoying.
      Sky Player is a P2P application that runs all the time your PC is switched on. It does not matter whether your are using it or not. Open a Command Prompt and type netstat /b, enter. You will see an application called Kontiki using your connection, this is the culprit.

I am pretty sure this is the reason so many go over their allowance. It is constantly downloading and uploading, eating into your 2 or 10Gb allowance.

I am not sure what happens when you run Sky Player through the Media Centre on Win 7, it does not appear to use Kontiki.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky Player is a P2P application that runs all the time your PC is switched on. It does not matter whether your are using it or not. Open a Command Prompt and type netstat /b, enter. You will see an application called Kontiki using your connection, this is the culprit.

I am pretty sure this is the reason so many go over their allowance. It is constantly downloading and uploading, eating into your 2 or 10Gb allowance.

I am not sure what happens when you run Sky Player through the Media Centre on Win 7, it does not appear to use Kontiki.
      So what you are saying is once you have streamed a show once with skyplayer it places a hard copy on your PC then distributes that file and uses your bandwidth to stream it to others on demand?

I really can't see that happening as that is one liberty to far if you ask me.

**edit**

It's now my understanding with kontiki that if you are streaming show A for example you are put into a "pool" and the data is then distributed throughout the "swarm" whilst you watch it, my interpretation of that is you will only use a little more bandwidth (upload) than you would just purely streaming it to watch. Not so bad as the totally unwarranted use of your bandwidth and hard drive space which was not clearly stated in your post.

Thanks

That is exactly what is happening! It is in the T & Cs which no one bothers to read.
      https://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/conten...rmsPage.do#s17

See in particular
      The Sky Player software will send information about itself and your Device (including in relation to usage) to us and will automatically share programmes you have downloaded with other Sky Player users

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Having got 7 on all my machines here at home and a light user of sky player on my HTPC (mostly movies) I can pretty much confirm there's no P2P shennanigans going on behined the scenes as i play a lot of online games and know within 30 seconds if my GF is using bandwidth by streaming spotify or other means that require BW and rocket your latency so if sky wanted it's pound of flesh from my connection i would know pretty quickly.

This is assuming OFC that noone is actually watching what i have watched in the past whilst i am keeping track of my ping.

Thanks

Sorry, but if you have installed Sky Player, as opposed to using Win7 Media Centre to view it, then you are using P2P. It is easy to check, just run netstat /b, you will have to run as Administrator in Win 7.

As I said I don't know how it is handled with Media Centre, it may well be direct to the Sky servers.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sorry, but if you have installed Sky Player, as opposed to using Win7 Media Centre to view it, then you are using P2P. It is easy to check, just run netstat /b, you will have to run as Administrator in Win 7.

As I said I don't know how it is handled with Media Centre, it may well be direct to the Sky servers.
      Yeah i only use it through media center, and as i stated in my last post if any of my bandwidth was being used elsewhere i would 100% know pretty quickly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast