Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: New V1 FW - Any better?

Voters
    104. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes its better

49 47.12%
    • No its worse

24 23.08%
    • No its the same

14 13.46%
    • Not on Sky

2 1.92%
    • I use my own

8 7.69%
    • n/a I have a V2

7 6.73%
    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

New FW for V1 Router - Is it any better?

This is a discussion on New FW for V1 Router - Is it any better? within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; I think I have run into a problem. Not sure if it's the new or old firmware related, Netgear fault ...

Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New FW for V1 Router - Is it any better?

I think I have run into a problem. Not sure if it's the new or old firmware related, Netgear fault or line problem.

Prior to the Netgear V1 firmware upgrade being announced I had been using my Speedtouch 780WL to connect. Downstream connection would be around ~2.5mb with SNR set to 10db (Downstream Att ~61/62db with connection capped by Sky to 2.8mb max and SNR set to 10db). I experienced no problems with my line apart from the odd reboot/re-sync at which point the Speedtouch would sync back at around ~2.5mb.

Switching over to the Netgear in advance of the firmware rollout I achieved the same downstream sync of ~2.5mb with SNR ~9/10db. No real problems apart from the non-working UPnP.

I manually updated as soon as the 1.03.87 firmware was made available (carried out at ~8am weekday) and let the Netgear reboot and re-sync. Immediately after it had sync'd I found that the downstream sync was at ~1mb with and SNR of ~22db. Knowing that my line is capable of ~2.5mb I set the Netgear to reboot only for the line to sync at ~400kbps with a higher SNR of ~25db.

Without rebooting the Netgear I unplugged and re-connected the DSL cable but yet again the sync was >500kbps with a high SNR. In a moment of panic I plugged the DSL line back into my Speedtouch and the line sync'd at ~2.5mb with SNR of ~10db.

Immediately after confirming my line was still able to sync at ~2.5mb, I removed the DSL cable from the Speedtouch and plugged it straight into the Netgear (still switched on) and found that it now sync'd at ~2.5mb with an SNR of ~10db (ala Speedtouch).

Fast forward to 10 minutes ago. I noticed that the internet connection was crawling along. Checking the XP gateway icon revealed that I was still sync'd at ~2.5mb though on checking the Netgear statistics I found that the SNR had hit ~1.5db. I rebooted the Netgear in an attempt to restore the connection only for it to re-sync at ~900kbps with an SNR of ~22db. Another reboot and the Netgear sync'd at ~250kbps with an SNR ~29db.

Panicking yet again I plugged the DSL cable into my Speedtouch and turned it on and sync'd immediately back at ~2.5mb with SNR ~10db. As before I switched the cable back into the Netgear (turned on) and it maintained the Speedtouch sync of ~2.5mb with SNR ~10db.

I've no idea why the Netgear won't re-sync at the speed my line is capable of but I've managed to repeat the above process twice now. Could it be that the Netgear is at fault or the firmware? Or could this be a Line card issue/exchange issue? I've no problems with the Speedtouch but obviously I'm not supposed to use that and have tried to stick with the Netgear for the last month or so.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post

Immediately after confirming my line was still able to sync at ~2.5mb, I removed the DSL cable from the Speedtouch and plugged it straight into the Netgear (still switched on) and found that it now sync'd at ~2.5mb with an SNR of ~10db (ala Speedtouch).
      Maybe I've read the post wrong but you seem to be describing a faulty router cable or possibly a faulty connector in the Netgear router.

The weak point in a cable is its connectors. With tolerances being quite small, its not that unusual to find a cable will work fine in one device but not in another as the contacts don't quite line up properly or aren't in firm contact.

Porky_Stalker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSKP
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ever since the new firmware, my internet connection has been dropping every few hours.
      I have noticed that the noise margin now occasionally drops below 7 - it never did before.

All of the other stats are the same as before but there now also seems to be a slight speed decrease

Any ideas?

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 46814 37055 0 6281 3197 01:44:21
      LAN 10M/100M 1787 0 0 53 0 03:43:13
      WLAN 11M/54M 59096 70008 0 2239 3569 03:43:05

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16270 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 13.0 db 7.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 17.5 db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Porky_Stalker View Post
      there now also seems to be a slight speed decrease
      Well that's not evident in your stats - in fact you have a blisteringly fast connection ~1meg more than the standard for Max.

With that sync you should be getting a throughput (download) of ~13meg with a wired connection. If you're not then:

• try a better speedtest server
      • go wired if you're wireless
      • run TCPOptimizer

Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is after the upgrade :

It is a faster connection, just web browsing and games seem a bit slower.

Any ideas why it is now dropping internet connection every few hours?
      I haven't changed any filters or extensions since it was originally installed the only difference is the new firmware.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Is it your ADSL connection that's dropping or your wireless connection (you've not said whether you're wireless). What happens when it drops? Does it re-establish itself or do you need to reboot the router? What do your router logs report when the connection drops?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is the ADSL connection that drops

Tue, 2008-04-22 12:28:31 - Initialize LCP.
      Tue, 2008-04-22 12:28:31 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Tue, 2008-04-22 12:28:34 - CHAP authentication success

There is nothing before this part of the log (except the same thing earlier times)

The router reconnects after a few minutes without having to reboot it.

It is just a bit annoying when I keep on getting kicked from games

Is the low downstream noise margin causing the connection to drop? It has never been less than 7.5 now it's sat below 7 most of the time.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Most people are finding that the connection holds well below 7db on this new firmware.

My guess is that your line may be generating a lot of errors. There's now a way to interrogate the router running the new firmware and you'll find details here.

Let the router run for a few hours if possible and then check the error levels. If it is errors that's causing this you have three options:

• find the cause and eliminate it (e.g. improve your wiring, swap filters etc)
      • call Sky and get them to cap you
      • load up James67's latest Community firmware which will allow you to increase your noise margin (at the expense of speed)

Obviously the first would be the preferable course of action

Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Maybe I've read the post wrong but you seem to be describing a faulty router cable or possibly a faulty connector in the Netgear router.

The weak point in a cable is its connectors. With tolerances being quite small, its not that unusual to find a cable will work fine in one device but not in another as the contacts don't quite line up properly or aren't in firm contact.
      I don't think it's a cable problem. Removing and re-connecting the cable into the Netgear without plugging into the Speedtouch made no difference to re-gaining the 2.5mb sync. Only after going from Speedtouch to Netgear made the difference.

I'll see if I can re-create the problem later and will post back my findings.

heatherw_01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elland (MYELL)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

My router seems worse today.

I used to get 768Kbps upstream and now it is only 448 kbps ?? I am supposed to be on Max.

The noise upstream for me is lower than it used to be. It is 7.0 db upstream now... it used to be about 13 db. I think this is a good thing?

Nevermind, I rebooted and got these stats... pretty much like my old stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3264 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 13.0 db
      Last edited by heatherw_01; 23-04-08 at 10:10 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast