Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should Sky allow us to use our own router?

Voters
    111. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

100 90.09%
    • No

1 0.90%
    • I really do not care

10 9.01%
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Should Sky allow Customers to use their own Router?

This is a discussion on Should Sky allow Customers to use their own Router? within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; Well I for one am one of these that would love to use my own, for reasons that are very ...

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Should Sky allow Customers to use their own Router?

Well I for one am one of these that would love to use my own, for reasons that are very obvious to me at least.

I cannot remember where I saw it, but there was some talk about sky's actions being illegal? It went something along the lines of, due to some european law it is illegal to restrain users to a given bit of equipement and that users should have and are permitted the choice.

Or something like that. There is a link to a forum somewhere, when I find it ill port it over.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

2. Advertisement
      SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Yes, but obviously they don't have to support it ... I have a feeling a few techy guys could get a bit funny if they ever phone Sky with a problem "Are you using your own router?", "Yes, but thats not the problem.", "To support you, you must use our router.", "The router isn't the problem though" ...

Certainly though, they should give us the ability to use our own routers, it can be very handy if your router goes sour or you have connection problems and wonder if its the router, I have a back-up router which would make a perfect back-up router, but I can't use it ...

I'm not really sure why they don't let you, is there something in the routers Maybe Murdock made a deal and all your activities are sent to the Chinese government

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I used my own router while waiting a replacement from Sky and had no problem. The person I dealt with baulked slightly when I rang to say their device had keeled over and that I was using a Speedtouch in the meantime, but didn't argue when I explained that I had no intention of being offline until the Postman turned up. I read the Terms & Conditions before signing up for Sky broadband and don't find the issue in any way restrictive - although the replacement V1 router is definitely much more stable and pumping out a stronger wireless signal than did the first, the original worked fine too.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      I cannot remember where I saw it, but there was some talk about sky's actions being illegal? It went something along the lines of, due to some european law it is illegal to restrain users to a given bit of equipement and that users should have and are permitted the choice.
      Ah yes, the Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive 1999/5/EC. Basically, the aim of the directive was to harmonise the various standards for equipment, but it also stipulates that service providers aren't allow to forbid the use of equipment if it meets those harmonised standards. This is to prevent, for example, BT telling people that they may only use a BT-branded telephone to connect to their telephone network.

I believe Sky's TV receivers are also illegal under European law. TV receivers which can decode encrypted TV signals are supposed to do the decoding on a Conditional Access Module (CAM), which is something that looks like a PCMCIA card, and into which you'd put your smartcard. But Sky don't want to do that, because it means that people would be able to put their Sky CAM into a different satellite receiver.

Have you ever wondered why Murdoch's newspapers are so anti-EU?

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have voted "yes" even though I don't actually own another router to use now as I gave my old Netgear one away to my Brother who is now using it with his Talk Talk connection.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

So James,

If this is the case, and I dont mind using the sky TV boxes, why are sky still insisting you are to use their router?

Would it also be fair to say it is because of this directive that there have been no Known (well I dont know of any) cases where people have been disconnected from the service for using their own equipment?

Im all for the free router, as a spare router always comes in handy, but im much happier with my own equipment as I know where I am with it and I know what it can cope with and what not...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The problem is that it's the member states that are supposed to implement the directive, so it should be Ofcom (as the Government's regulatory authority on broadcasting and telecommunications) that should be kicking Sky's backside about this. Unfortunately they don't seem to see it as a priority. Maybe no-one's ever complained about it. Maybe they take the view that a broadband customer can always choose a different broadband supplier if they want to use a different router. It would be interesting to find out their position on this.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

It would be interesting to know where ofcom stand on this point. On the one hand they could enforce the directive or on the other they could leave by the wayside like so many other things in the past for so long.
      If I remember rightly it was only after increasing customer complaints and pressure that they started enforcing things in the past such as the generating of MAC codes from suppliers. It was due to an increase in complaints about suppliers with holding MAC codes until the user had paid £xxx that ofcom then got involved and made an amendment to the rules.

One other thing I would hope sky allowed, and this is as a direct result of speaking to a T3 op the other night to get them to take the cap of my line <g>, is to have the upload limit set to 1024kbps as apposed to limited to 768kbps.I know there is only one other provider out there at present which does offer upstream speeds in excess of 832 kbps (BE) but still I feel this could be a new attraction points for any new possible signups.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

O2 are offering 1.3 meg/sec upload speed now, and as the wife is on an O2 contract the 8 meg/sec down, 1.3 meg/sec up and "unlimited" use pack for £7.50 / month is looking more and more attractive. (Especially as I connect at 9-10 meg down now anyways.)

Only 3-5 months more left on my sky contract (depending on when they actually counted the start of my contract due to the 9 weeks I was in limbo) and by then I may have convinced my wife that moving may be good, although we have never had a smooth switch ever, we may get lucky this time.

noikz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

At the end of the day it should be like this:

Customer support only available whilst connected via the Sky assigned router. So for day to day use you can use what you like but when you call Sky you must have the official Sky router in place. Simple.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast