Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Sky officially post on SkyUser?

Voters
    117. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

106 90.60%
    • No

11 9.40%
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Would you like to see Sky Officially Post on this website?

This is a discussion on Would you like to see Sky Officially Post on this website? within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; pardon my ignorance but what is DS i thought that was nintendo lol...

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Would you like to see Sky Officially Post on this website?

pardon my ignorance but what is DS i thought that was nintendo lol

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

DS = Digital Spy website.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i'll put my tupence worth i
      a forum like this is better being inpartial and giving advice :- good, bad or indiferent ,about sky or other internet problems ,it also allows sky to look at peeps problem and maybe help out if they can through an unofficial source ,however there have been some sky employees on here trying to help and end up with the sharp end of the stick because theyr'e an easy target . throughout this the admin have acted sensibly and honestly when dealing with personal attacks and complaints and have kept the forum at the right level of openess and friendliness that most, if not all the peeps on here prefer [i remember flame wars on many forums that ultimately lead to the forum falling apart]
      i do not see the need for sky to be involved officially as i am sure that they know of this site and can visit at any time

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Would you like to see Sky Officially Help on this website?

Quote Originally Posted by FrostFree View Post
      NR don't get me wrong I appreciate the thread is still available, I just used that as an example of how we've already been influenced by sky. Under normal circumstances it should be stickied.
      Like I said previously, Myself and Glenn made that decision,

1) Because we thought it would cheese Sky off

2) In case there were repurcussions

However as for stickying this information, it has been in the technical forum and has been for months. I don't know if you were around on here when we made the decision to have the Tech forum passworded. We made this compromise, because although we supported the fact that people should know about the fact your username and password could be extracted, we did not want the average person who spotted it, just to try and flash their router, as in the process there is a risk it can kill the router. We did not want to be made responsible for the mass killing of the Sky router. People would have to purposely look for the information. So although it may of looked like we were influenced by Sky, it was not. If we were, we would have never compromised. It was a simple case of listening to what our members wanted.

The guides on how to manipulate the router were particularly re-assuring.
      For some people yes, but a lot of people are not technically minded and would never attempt to follow these guides.

My faith in the forum is the single reason I'm not even considering cancellation!
      Therefore we have provided you with what we wanted to achieve. Which is a good thing for us, and for you.

So understand if I'm a bit sceptical of advise that may come from such an inept company, if they can't tell me what's going on with my order through the normal official channals they set up (ie customer services) how much better will their official input here be.
      I totally understand your point of view, and tbh the only way Sky would benefit on here by officially posting would be to provide staff that are at least in Tier 3, or the ability to resolve problems. Believe me, we do not want any misinformation posted on here that is confusing or not the correct information.

On forums like this I'll prefer an unofficial input, sky won't come here to say they cocked-up on the many issues people her moan about, but unofficially, this is more likely to happen. Would sky come here to tell tell us a 'data check' is simply a manual process to correct a bug in their incompetent systems? I don't think so.
      I think what we mean, is that Sky staff who are in a position to help, ie know what the problems are, exchange issues etc etc, unless it is genuinely technical staff that know what they are doing, it would not work.

I can understand it's a feather in the cap of the founders to have sky come on board officially, but if that was the case when I stumbled upon this iste, I wouldn't have been so trusting, I could have seen it as a propganda tool for sky.
      Yes, it would be a feather in our cap, but, that is what we have always wanted to achieve, an unofficial help and support site, with Sky helping their customers out. As for the propaganda tool for Sky, I really cannot understand that angle. We have always allowed the good and the bad sides, propaganda is normally misleading people, as per WIKI which I would like to think that we have never ever done.

But once again thank you for your feedback.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Flange87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Biddulph
      Broadband ISP: Nildram
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As long as Sky don't take the opportunity to advertise their own products.

It would be a shame to see Skyuser become so dependent/reliant on the help from Sky.

It would take Sky a microsecond to cotton onto this and before you know it, 'help' turns into page of advertising.

If Sky were told to stop, they would probably threaten to leave the board, knowing Skyuser would become a shadow of its former self - members would have become too used to Sky posting (worse case of course).

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I think this website already works very well the way it is now. So why change anything? Least of all allowing Sky to have an official presence on it? It may not seem like such a big issue, but if they were interested in it, then they would undoubtedly see it as an opportunity to influence and control the site. This is what large corporations do.

It might all seem very friendly and non-interfering at first, but before long they'd be politely asking you to remove certain posts, then "advising" you on the kind of advice you should be giving people, and before long you might find them putting pressure on you to do things their way, or even serving legal notices!

OK this might sound a little crazy, but let's face it, if they decide that they do want to have an official function on the site, they're hardly just going to sit back and let us say what we like, and disclose any old information about their hardware etc.

I would say that this site currently serves a very good purpose for us and them, giving people the information they need to make them less wary of a "too-good-to-be-true" deal, and offering detailed and very useful advice on all levels. All this has been achieved without any official intervention from Sky. And as someone else pointed out, the fact that the site is not officially affiliated with Sky makes it more attractive and trustworthy to newcomers.

And completely off-topic, but just because there's never really a time and place... I'd just like to add that I'm very impressed that people are able to have such varied and detailed discussions on these boards, and even express opinions, without resorting to flame wars! I don't know if you realise how rare this is in today's Internet world!

That's all for now.
      Tom

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flange87 View Post
      As long as Sky don't take the opportunity to advertise their own products.
      If Sky wanted to advertise their own products on here, they would not be doing so for free. This site has to gain money to survive, and hence why we have adverts / sponsors as we have always said, we will not ask our members for any contributions. (This is excluded from the SkyUser Radio project, as it is a requirement to have a Licence and so each presenter has bought their own)

It would be a shame to see Skyuser become so dependent/reliant on the help from Sky.
      SkyUser is 9 months old, and has never depended on help in any form from Sky. We are self supporting.

It would take Sky a microsecond to cotton onto this and before you know it, 'help' turns into page of advertising.
      Not unless they pay to advertise.

If Sky were told to stop, they would probably threaten to leave the board, knowing Skyuser would become a shadow of its former self - members would have become too used to Sky posting (worse case of course).
      Sky posting would be in their own interest, we have a huge database of members and problems, hiding from that Sky would be doing themselves no favours. If Sky were to come on here, they could help 100's if not 1000's. If they don't post on here, we would still help 100's if not 1000's of current and future members.

The reason we are so interested in Sky posting, is they have all the answers, they have all the information about the future etc etc. This would be an ideal opportunity for Sky to come over and start listening to their customers and providing answers and information that benefits everyone.

We are not daft, Sky are not daft, and so any progress would have to benefit us and them, as for controlling SkyUser, that just would not happen. If they did try then it would be nothing more than a none starter.

If Sky were to threaten to leave, then we would call their bluff, as long as Sky realise and understand what we want to achieve they have no reason to try and change that.

If Sky were to say to us as a condition of them posting, we want control, we want admin rights, and we do not want to see any negative posts, we would politely say "No Thank you"
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 07-05-07 at 05:27 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by mrtom2985 View Post
      I think this website already works very well the way it is now. So why change anything? Least of all allowing Sky to have an official presence on it? It may not seem like such a big issue, but if they were interested in it, then they would undoubtedly see it as an opportunity to influence and control the site. This is what large corporations do.
      If this were to happen, we would have a contract made, and tbh Sky do not need to control the site, they either actively take part on our terms or they don't. We are not going to shut down tomorrow if they decide they do not want to get involved.

It might all seem very friendly and non-interfering at first, but before long they'd be politely asking you to remove certain posts, then "advising" you on the kind of advice you should be giving people, and before long you might find them putting pressure on you to do things their way, or even serving legal notices!
      We would not even consider this if we did not think it would help our members, we have laid out above our vision of it happening and if it is of interest to Sky they are open to negotiate. If it ever got to the stage of Sky posting, rest assured it would be our way or none.

OK this might sound a little crazy, but let's face it, if they decide that they do want to have an official function on the site, they're hardly just going to sit back and let us say what we like, and disclose any old information about their hardware etc.
      I think we have already been allowed to say what we want, the only things we would not allow discussion on (which would be the same elsewhere) is for Commercially sensitive reasons. Sky have never asked us to take down anything in the past, apart from some figures that were commercially sensitive, and an incorrect phone number.

I would say that this site currently serves a very good purpose for us and them, giving people the information they need to make them less wary of a "too-good-to-be-true" deal, and offering detailed and very useful advice on all levels. All this has been achieved without any official intervention from Sky. And as someone else pointed out, the fact that the site is not officially affiliated with Sky makes it more attractive and trustworthy to newcomers.
      I have to agree, but I still think our members can gain more help and information and a better quality of support if we worked together ie allowing Sky to post.

Don't get me wrong, Sky are in fact free to post now, and offer any information etc, but they have not done so. The only staff that post on here at the moment do so on their own time, and risk getting sacked for doing so. For this we appreciate them taking the time and effort for doing so.

I'd just like to add that I'm very impressed that people are able to have such varied and detailed discussions on these boards, and even express opinions, without resorting to flame wars! I don't know if you realise how rare this is in today's Internet world!
      And so are we, we have worked hard to try and keep these forums running smoothly. Honestly, we do appreciate all discussions on here, and welcome good and bad, the only thing we draw the line at is rudeness and personal attacks / swearing.

Most people appreciate our stance on that and hence our moderation on here is very little.

Thank you for your feedback.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123