Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Sky officially post on SkyUser?

Voters
    117. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

106 90.60%
    • No

11 9.40%
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Would you like to see Sky Officially Post on this website?

This is a discussion on Would you like to see Sky Officially Post on this website? within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR That's because DS has 200k of users, and have been around for ages. And because their ...

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Would you like to see Sky Officially Help on this website?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      That's because DS has 200k of users, and have been around for ages. And because their Satellite section is highly respected, as well as having a huge influence.
      So why setup this forum if one already exists then?

Sky are never going to put there name to this forum or any other for that matter, same as Virgin media and cable forum.

Anyway back on topic, the whole point of a forum in my opinion is to discuss both sides to various topics not just to be a yes man to the service you support! Granted nobody has the right to swear, make general abusive comments or threaten anyone or be physically abusive but a customer has the right to vent their anger should they not be treated right and or state an opinion with regards to that problem and the service they receive!

I have worked with forums for a long time, I designed many MODS and HACKS for a popular brand of forum board as well as offered support for it, I even won an award for it. (I'm not one to brag, actually yes I am!!! ) I have posted on many forums and to date the best one I have come accross would be cableforum.co.uk!

This is why:

Although cable forum is dedicated mainly to Virgin media they allow you to post negative comments as well as positive one's, your also allowed to vent some anger! (Even argue!) Ok every forum is different and they all have different rules but one good thing about cable forum is that there are members of staff who in their own time will take it upon themselves to help you fix a problem and actually get it resolved where as the normal way of contacting cs you would fail.

I think that would benefit to this, having people who work for sky actually helping forum members resolve issues rather than the odd post about why they decide to make a change to a product or service.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acoolwelshbloke View Post
      So why setup this forum if one already exists then?
      Because when we set this up:

1) We wanted to help people out unofficially in our own time

Sky are never going to put there name to this forum or any other for that matter, same as Virgin media and cable forum.
      An opinion you are entitled to have

Anyway back on topic, the whole point of a forum in my opinion is to discuss both sides to various topics not just to be a yes man to the service you support!
      Are you saying I am a yes man to Sky? As that is how I have understood that comment. You obviously have not read any of my posts when I have gone off on one with Sky.

Granted nobody has the right to swear, make general abusive comments or threaten anyone or be physically abusive but a customer has the right to vent their anger should they not be treated right and or state an opinion with regards to that problem and the service they receive!
      Where does it say in the Sky contract that you are allowed to come to SkyUser to vent your anger? If you think SkyUser was set up for you to VENT your anger, you are mistaken and have totally misunderstood our concept.

I have worked with forums for a long time, I designed many MODS and HACKS for a popular brand of forum board as well as offered support for it, I even won an award for it. (I'm not one to brag, actually yes I am!!! ) I have posted on many forums and to date the best one I have come accross would be cableforum.co.uk!
      I would have said Thinkbroadband.com but then again that's a personal choice.

Although cable forum is dedicated mainly to Virgin media they allow you to post negative comments as well as positive one's, your also allowed to vent some anger! (Even argue!) Ok every forum is different and they all have different rules but one good thing about cable forum is that there are members of staff who in their own time will take it upon themselves to help you fix a problem and actually get it resolved where as the normal way of contacting cs you would fail.
      So they have no difference to our philosophy then, apart from we are more stringent on people swearing. Believe it or not we are arguing now, but constructively as we both have a differing point of view.

I think that would benefit to this, having people who work for sky actually helping forum members resolve issues rather than the odd post about why they decide to make a change to a product or service.
      The problem with Sky staff, unless they are in an OFFICIAL capacity, they are putting their own jobs on the line to help our members out. We have always made Sky staff welcome, and do not ever want them to think that after reading some geezers rant about their poor service, why should they continue to do so? They are only human, just like me and you.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

FrostFree is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I think the unofficial status of this site gives it some credibility at a time when there is mis-trust of big companies like sky. This forum will continue to grow and over time sky will find it very difficult to ignore, I bet it's monitored now, and once in a while we do get sky workers chipping in to correct mis-information etc.

Sky's official paticipation will compromise the forum's independence, already some useful threads that go against sky's T&C's have been closed to encourage their participation.

I think the forum's fine as it is.

Frostfree

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

that go against sky's T&C's have been closed to encourage their participation.
      They were closed yes, but never removed, infact we even went as far to open the Tech forum whereby everything was allowed but had to be kept in there.

On hindsight if we had not allowed that, we would have been very foolish, but I would like to say in our defence, we made the initial decision, as the last thing we wanted to do was upset Sky and get them onboard. However Sky have never requested us to close any threads, just remove one bit of commercial information.

The thread you are on about I presume is the Hacking of the router. That is still in the forums if you look.

I bet it's monitored now,
      It is

Sky's official paticipation will compromise the forum's independence,
      Thats the million dollar gamble. I would like to think our stance on that would not allow us to lose our independence.

Thank you for your feedback

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrostFree View Post
      I think the unofficial status of this site gives it some credibility at a time when there is mis-trust of big companies like sky. This forum will continue to grow and over time sky will find it very difficult to ignore, I bet it's monitored now, and once in a while we do get sky workers chipping in to correct mis-information etc.

Sky's official paticipation will compromise the forum's independence, already some useful threads that go against sky's T&C's have been closed to encourage their participation.

Frostfree
      I agree with what you say. Well said!

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

So they have no difference to our philosophy then, apart from we are more stringent on people swearing. Believe it or not we are arguing now, but constructively as we both have a differing point of view.

Yep, very very similar philosophy

And both are extremely helpful support sites & communities.

Everyone's allowed their own point of view, so long as they do not abuse other members, or break the T&Cs in other ways.

As for swearing... quite strict at CF too.

tdbsolutions is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I just voted NO , the reason for this is that I believe that SKYuser should stay totally independent.

My own personal view is that once SKY have your money and have signed you up they have no further interest in you. There are countless threads where members are complaining that they never get a call back from Tier1,2 or 3 and I have gone through all those hassles and to date (was connected in mid December) nobody has ever called me back, replied to an email or to letters sent registered mail.

All my problems were solved by SKYuser and thanks big time.

No need for SKY to become part of this site, they just need to get their house in order, saying that I don't see them advertising for staff
      One day you are the pigeon, but most days just the statue ...

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acoolwelshbloke View Post
      What you mean? silence us if we disagree?
      That is not what I mean. Considering you have worked around forums before I am surprised you haven't seen people emotions getting carried away with them when they read something that they didn't want to hear. All I am saying which has been said above now anyway is that if Sky did appear on here then those threads where they are answering question would have to be closely monitored incase things get out of hand.

murdock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Would you like to see Sky Officially Post on this website?

Come on Sky, this is a no-brainer.
      But I love the the Skyuser Squints on this site.
      Ya know...the people on here who squint at things
      to solve your problems.

Squint Squad
      This fanlisting is for the characters from Bones known as squints.
      The term was first used on the show by Special Agent Seely Booth in the pilot episode:

Booth: He's got no sense of discretion, that kid. Typical squint.
      Temperance: I don't know what that means.
      Booth: When cops get stuck we bring in people like you, ya know? Squints. You know, squint at things.
      Temperance: Oh you mean people with very high IQs and basic reasoning skills?

Dr. Temperance Brennan's team has since become known as the "Squint Squad", or simply "Squints".

http://www.etherealbeauty.moonlit-eve.net/Squints/

My Max. Faster, Cheaper, Better.

FrostFree is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

They were closed yes, but never removed, infact we even went as far to open the Tech forum whereby everything was allowed but had to be kept in there. On hindsight if we had not allowed that, we would have been very foolish, but I would like to say in our defence, we made the initial decision, as the last thing we wanted to do was upset Sky and get them onboard. However Sky have never requested us to close any threads, just remove one bit of commercial information.
      The thread you are on about I presume is the Hacking of the router. That is still in the forums if you look.
      NR don't get me wrong I appreciate the thread is still available, I just used that as an example of how we've already been influenced by sky. Under normal circumstances it should be stickied. Allow me to use myself experiences as an example.

I almost signed for talktalk broadband but they couldn't get their act together to even put me through to the correct department to chase the order, so I cancelled and started looking for alternatives. I was undecided about sky because I head they were as bad, then I found this site and after a couple of days monitoring I ordered purely because I had confidence in the quality of technical backup I'll get from here should anything go wrong. The guides on how to manipulate the router were particularly re-assuring.

Anyway I ordered, and 7 weeks and over 20 phonecalls on, I'm still not connected, sky customer services tell me something completely different each time I phone to chase, yet I'm not panicking simply because I've been able to determine what's really been happening to my order from advise given here and reading accounts of other people with similar experiences. My faith in the forum is the single reason I'm not even considering cancellation!

So understand if I'm a bit sceptical of advise that may come from such an inept company, if they can't tell me what's going on with my order through the normal official channals they set up (ie customer services) how much better will their official input here be.

On forums like this I'll prefer an unofficial input, sky won't come here to say they cocked-up on the many issues people her moan about, but unofficially, this is more likely to happen. Would sky come here to tell tell us a 'data check' is simply a manual process to correct a bug in their incompetent systems? I don't think so.

I can understand it's a feather in the cap of the founders to have sky come on board officially, but if that was the case when I stumbled upon this iste, I wouldn't have been so trusting, I could have seen it as a propganda tool for sky.

Frostfree

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast