Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Would you prefer to use your own router?

Voters
    53. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

18 33.96%
    • Yes - I already do

11 20.75%
    • No

5 9.43%
    • Don't really bother me / Not on Sky BB

2 3.77%
    • Don't really bother me / On Sky BB

17 32.08%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you could use your own router

This is a discussion on If you could use your own router within the Polls forums, part of the Website news category; Thanks all...

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: If you could use your own router

Thanks all

2. Advertisement
      AWW
      AWW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Kilbride,WSEKI
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im using my d-link router the sky 1 kept dropping out :@ iv callled loads of times but no router

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm using a BT Voyager 2110 wirless router and it works just fine!

Better than all that freezing rubbish that keeps going on with that sky router rubish!

If sky ever find out and demand that I re-install the sky router I will simply cancel my services with them and take my custome else where!

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Voted "Don't really bother me / On Sky BB"

.......but when your router does finally give up the ghost, as it surely will, they should automatically provide users with an emergency username and password to enable you to use your own (if you have one) until the replacement finally arrives.

Unfortunately their Customer Services is truly shocking and have absolutely no understanding of the concepts of either "urgency" or "overnight delivery".

SkyTechSupport is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
      No idea why they wont let you use your own. I suspect it's because sky CS staff have had some training on how to provide support for the Netgear routers.

I just had another thought. What happens in a year or so when the current routers suffer from normal wear and tear, deterioration, etc. Will sky supply you with another free router or, would you be charged for a replacement. If you were charged would the user/pass codes still be hidden away? Is there a warranty period?

Anybody know what happens. I couldn't be bothered going through the T & C's.
      The warranty period is one year, after that I think they charge you, never come across someone who's stuck with it for that long lol.

As for why they make you use the Sky router, we have a couple of systems (namely Swish, Woosh and Putty (or Puddy not sure of the spelling)) that (don't quote me on this) don't work with non-Sky routers, and those systems give us access to router and line stats, it can speed up a lot of tech support if you can see whether a router is in sync and what speed it's syncing at, and whether it's currently received an IP address, how many errors it's getting etc.

However, I am a firm believer in choice, if it was up to me the Sky contract would state this:

"To use the router supplied by Sky will give you as the customer the full range of technical support, but a customer may choose to use their own router at the price of forfeiting their technical support."

At least then if you had, say for example, a line problem, you could plug in your Sky router and troubleshoot as usual, get the line problem fixed (and get a callback from Tier 2, laugh collectively) then go back to using your own router once you know the actual physical connection is ok.
      Is it wrong to work for the devil? Not if you can make a difference... and he pays well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12