Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again

This is a discussion on Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again within the Picnic Broadband forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure where this leaves Picnic - but it is not in a good place at all. More dithering by ...

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again

Not sure where this leaves Picnic - but it is not in a good place at all.

More dithering by OFCOM, well they are good at that, and the British public lose out once again. Unless Picnic decide to launch their Broadband and Telephony without the DTV channels Sky have nothing to make any kind of return on against their investment in Picnic.

I am not convinced that OFCOM are acting in the best interests of the British public in this case.

Sky's plan for a pay-TV service on Freeview has been placed on hold again after media regulator Ofcom announced the idea was to face further scrutiny.

The broadcaster wants to offer four paid-for Sky channels on digital terrestrial television, offering news, sports, films and entertainment.
      It would replace Sky News, Sky Sports News and Sky Three on Freeview.
      Ofcom said further consultation was needed as part of its inquiry into competition in the wider pay-TV market. This began in March 2007, after Virgin Media lost access to some channels from Sky, which dominates the pay-TV market.

The regulator decided a consultation on the four proposed channels would begin by the end of the summer and would be considered "alongside the wider market investigation".

Rival responses

Sky first announced its plan - branded Picnic - in February 2007 and hoped to launch it last year, before Setanta began screening Premier League football on digital terrestrial television.

It is believed the latest development will mean no final decision is taken on the four proposed channels until after 2009. Sky said it would continue to work with Ofcom as the process moved forward.

Freeview users can currently subscribe to Setanta Sports 1, which gives access to live football, cricket, golf and boxing.
      They can also pay for extra on-demand content through Top-Up TV.

Source: BBC News BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again

Already a thread here. Wake up at the back

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-n...old-again.html

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Eh? Wha?? Doh!
      [Albert Einstein]

DJS Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      Not sure where this leaves Picnic - but it is not in a good place at all.

More dithering by OFCOM, well they are good at that, and the British public lose out once again. Unless Picnic decide to launch their Broadband and Telephony without the DTV channels Sky have nothing to make any kind of return on against their investment in Picnic.

I am not convinced that OFCOM are acting in the best interests of the British public in this case.
      Would you like to explain how it benefits me and other viewers for Ofcom to allow Picnic to go ahead? I'm really looking forward to hearing this.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I could not possibly know how it would benefit you specifically. Perhaps it doesn't, that is in any case irrelevant. However, it would benefit anyone who wants Sky programming but is unable to do so for, say, local covenant reasons which forbid the erection of satellite dishes.

I fail to see how it is in the best interests of the British public for OFCOM to prevent any single broadcaster transmitting on DTT. Especially so as there are incumbent national TV channels being broadcast on Sky's infrastructure. Hardly a balanced position.
      [Albert Einstein]