Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This traffic shaping lark...

This is a discussion on This traffic shaping lark... within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Could one of you experienced and knowledgable people tell the rest of us noobs about the joys of this traffic ...

Shooty* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This traffic shaping lark...

Could one of you experienced and knowledgable people tell the rest of us noobs about the joys of this traffic shaping thing that, at the end of the day, seems to be the cause of most, if not all, of our P2P woes?

For example:is it 24/7, do you think, or just at peak times? If so, what do you reckon the peak times are?

I'm sure most of us find it incredibly frustrating, so more knowledge always helps. Personally, I am currently suffering that nasty internal itch that you have in your brain when you think it might possibly be your computer's fault, and you therefore want to tweak things, but you know it's not your computer really.

It's made doubly frustrating by the fact that, on one occassion for a whole weekend, I had amazing speeds and a great P2P experience, somehow apparently either avoiding traffic shaping or it was turned off (non-peak?) and yet have not been able to replicate the experience again.

Non-condescending replies with explanations appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: This traffic shaping lark...

Any response you get on this forum will just be a guess unless it is from a high-level Sky/Easynet insider.

My personal guess is that as Connect is just a rebadged BT service, Sky have no direct control over how/when/if BT shape traffic.

In the early days BT used simple port blocking. Then they used bandwidth throttles. Now they use sophisticated traffic analysis (protocol etc).

Their aim will be to fully utilise their network at all times without overloading it. I would think the tools they use are dynamic and come into play when needed not at specific times of day.

I assume you know that some Connect customers have improved their P2P speeds by using a client that supports encrypted traffic?

Shooty* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Actually, no, and you've surprised me on two fronts there: 1. I had no idea that Sky was linked to BT broadband and 2nd.... No, sorry, forgotten what the second was.

I have tried Obfuscation in emule, which is emule's version of encryption as I understand it, but doesn't seem to be as good as other P2P (bitTorrent) measures.

And I've never got the hang of torrenting.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shooty* View Post
      I had no idea that Sky was linked to BT broadband
      Only Sky Connect - Base, Mid and Max all run on their own network.

Maybe you will have to give Torrents another go. Or there are always newsgroups (my preference).

angstmann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Spennymoor, Co. Durham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Newsgroups are my preference too, but they are not immune from traffic shaping on Connect, by the look of it. I've been connected a few days to Sky Connect and at first Usenet speeds were as I expected, and as I enjoyed with my previous ISP. Tonight however, its weird... it peaks at full speed for about a minute, then drops right down, almost to zero! This disappoints me immensely, anyone know of a way to improve this?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Might be worth changing port number if your client and service supports this. I've heard this can help but can't vouch for it personally.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thats what I had been doing, as the default port was crawling... now looks like its shaped on all my Usenet providers available ports Oh well, we shall see how it pans out... could just be certain times of day, etc. Not good if you want something quickly... I am not someone who doanloads reams and reams for the sake of it, just someone who when they do download wants it at top speed...

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's a pain. Hopefully Sky will LLU your exchange soon.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Looks like it was just for an hour or two tonight... after about 8.30pm it was back up to normal.. hmm. Its the first time I've noticed the shaping. Still, it posed no major problems.

Summer is the estimate I've been given for my exchange being LLU'd. Not far off

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shooty* View Post
      Could one of you experienced and knowledgable people tell the rest of us noobs about the joys of this traffic shaping thing that, at the end of the day, seems to be the cause of most, if not all, of our P2P woes?

For example:is it 24/7, do you think, or just at peak times? If so, what do you reckon the peak times are?

I'm sure most of us find it incredibly frustrating, so more knowledge always helps. Personally, I am currently suffering that nasty internal itch that you have in your brain when you think it might possibly be your computer's fault, and you therefore want to tweak things, but you know it's not your computer really.

It's made doubly frustrating by the fact that, on one occassion for a whole weekend, I had amazing speeds and a great P2P experience, somehow apparently either avoiding traffic shaping or it was turned off (non-peak?) and yet have not been able to replicate the experience again.

Non-condescending replies with explanations appreciated.
      Yes connect is a leased service I believe: it's almost certainly traffic shaped at source and beyond the control of Sky.

As for traffic shaping in general I can only state my experiance with Pipex: it's traffic shaping has become increasingly sophisticated since it began over the last year or so. It used to be a simple checking of headers of P2P traffic etc that the filters detected: for a time PE encryption could get around that, now they've found a way around this. Traffic used to be slowed to 20kB/s at all times. Now they've throttled everything to an inch of it's life: 4-6kB/s is the norm now. I used to get faster speeds on dialup.

Next to be throttled was Newsgroup access, originally it seemed to be restricted via DNS so anything nntp.newsgroups.com would be throttled, so we got around that by accessing the IP address directly ie. 135.255.105.37 etc. Recently they found a way around that too. So people found a way around that by subscribing to encrypted newsservers such as Giganews: Pipex have gotten around that pretty damn fast recently: they seem to know all the IP adddresses now and throttle accordingly. Again to the same snail paced 4-6kB/s.

That was the last straw as far as I was concerned. Whats the point of having broadband if I can only use it to browse the web and read emails? I might as well be back on dialup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast