Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This traffic shaping lark...

This is a discussion on This traffic shaping lark... within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Yes connect is a leased service I believe: it's almost certainly traffic shaped at source and beyond the control of ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: This traffic shaping lark...

Yes connect is a leased service I believe: it's almost certainly traffic shaped at source and beyond the control of Sky.
      Sky / Easynet restrict the protocols using equipment called Ellacoyas (only on the Connect Package to the best of my knowledge)

More information on the kit used is here

Ellacoya Networks : : Ellacoya e30 Platform

Believe me Sky / Easynet have and are in full control of the shaping.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 02-03-07 at 01:47 AM. Reason: added some more

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Are you sure about that? I can understand Sky/Easynet use this for their own traffic but on Connect?

I thought Connect uses BT equipment, BT routing and BT backbone. At what point would Sky/Easynet have access to the traffic? Are you saying BT route Sky Connect traffic via the Easynet network?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky use Ellacoyas on the Connect package only, they have never hidden that fact, why go to the expense of 100K an Ellacoya if BT shaping can do the job for them?

Plusnet use them, F2S more than likely use them, Pipex etc etc etc

These would be located at Easynet in their network setup I would have thought.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 02-03-07 at 01:50 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The way I understand things are:

Most ISP's dont even have BT home gateways installed at their premises now, so the circuits from BT connect to the ISP's own kit, they then L2TP the sessions across.

References:

http://www1.btwebworld.com/sinet/412v3p2.pdf

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Thanks for that.

Reading through the reference it seems to state that BT will provide throttling/policing of bandwidth to the customer's (i.e. Sky's) specification. Requests can be made to change this in 155Mbps increments but it takes 5 working days. The products referred to are all "policed" (bandwidth policing) in this way - section 2.6 goes into some detail on this.

I suppose this means that Sky/Easynet use Ellacoyas as a means to limit bandwidth to that of the product they have bought from BT rather than simply allowing the BT system to do this? I wonder why - maybe the BT system is too crude (it just drops traffic when the limit is reached)?

Shooty* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, I'm going to post something now that might get shot down in flames, but this is my experience:

For the first week that I was connected, I would activate emule, and people could upload from me at 16 kbps perfectly. No worries. I, however, could only download at a max speed of about 10 kbps even leaving the machine on for 48 hours. Yes, I know that emule is a variable experience, but bear with me.

Last Friday, with the same downloads, no new ones, I logged on and achieved (and this is the important bit: ALMOST INSTANTLY and certainly within 3 hours) blistering speeds for 150 kbps over a three day period, rarely dropping below 80 kbps. technically, that makes me a leech, admittedly, HOWEVER i have left the uploading on during rough patches, so I think it makes up for it.

Anyway, on Sunday, i turned the machine off, and every evening since then (Mon, Tues, Weds) I again had the max 10kbps download each evening, using Emules connection graph to verify, logging off in the mornings and reconnecting at night.

Last night, I once again achieved a 90kbps+ connection speed which continued overnight with the same downloads, still, not completed yet.

SOMETHING has changed, and it has not been my port settings, router settings or anything else.

I have no explanation. I merely wish to state to you all that, over the course of a week, things seem to change. I am at work now and my computer at home is still running (unless my wife has turned it off), and I have no doubt that I have a good connection still. I also have absolutely no doubt at all that if I was to disconnect and reconnect, the odds are that I would once again be lumbred with a crap connection until the next "window of opportunity" presented itself, and I cannot tell when that would be.

Weird, huh?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      I suppose this means that Sky/Easynet use Ellacoyas as a means to limit bandwidth to that of the product they have bought from BT rather than simply allowing the BT system to do this? I wonder why - maybe the BT system is too crude (it just drops traffic when the limit is reached)?
      Ellacoyas are very intelligent, you can actually rate limit any given individual account / profile etc etc

These can also introduce tiers of shaping so if you don't hammer your connection then you may get mild shaping, go over 40gb and then you get throttled to very low speeds. Plusnet have to a degree pioneered this practise and seem to be only just getting the profiles right now after approx 2 years.

Without the use of Ellacoyas 36 people maxing their connections out on the Connect package could theoretically kill a Central, ie no bandwidth for anyone else. In fact without these your network would fall over.

New signatures are added all the time to identify traffic / gaming etc and really are a necessity if any ISP wants to provide an enjoyable / useable experience for every user connected. However, this is not always the case.

BT may infact throttle or provide the facility, but you would still need these to manage the network.

Shooty* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to post the main point of my post (I'm a little distracted at the moment) which is this:

If you establish a "good" connection, whereby you are able to use to P2P software properly with good DL and UL speeds, then it appears that PROVIDING YOU DO NOT DISCONNECT that "good" connection will last until you DO disconnect. As if, to use a metaphor, traffic shaping or whatever method is used, is a shield, and if you DO manage to get past that shield, then it does not come into effect until you disconnect and reconnect.

But then some part of me says that this cannot be the case as, between the "good" connections and the "bad" ones, I do NOT reset the router, just turn the PC on and off. So perhaps it's more accurate to say that it appears to be the case that if your p2p software can establish a "good" connection, then that appears to last until you shut the program.

'tis all very strange. To me, anyway.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Very interesting, thanks. I had no idea shaping had gotten so sophisticated. I wonder how long before Sky introduce ellacoyas on their base, mid and max packages?
      Last edited by Chug a Bug; 02-03-07 at 08:31 PM.

azimuth2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chug a Bug View Post
      Very interesting, thanks. I had no idea shaping had gotten so sophisticated. I wonder how long before Sky introduce ellacoyas on their base, mid and max packages?

That most surely is down to how much 'hammering' takes place on the LLU packages - yes?

I see 'no boundaries' to how far an ISP will go to achieve a 'balanced' network - thus ensuring continuity of product.

Skyuser.co.uk - Premier forum for todays discerning broadband user

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast