Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Five Million Brits Go Crazy For Illegal Streaming

This is a discussion on Five Million Brits Go Crazy For Illegal Streaming within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; https://torrentfreak.com/five-millio...eaming-170425/ Almost five million Brits are regularly streaming TV content from illegal Internet services. That's one of the findings from ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Five Million Brits Go Crazy For Illegal Streaming

https://torrentfreak.com/five-millio...eaming-170425/
      Almost five million Brits are regularly streaming TV content from illegal Internet services. That's one of the findings from a new YouGov study which shows that Kodi-powered devices and Android apps are particularly popular with users. Of concern to authorized services is that hundreds of thousands of pirates say they're canceling their official subscriptions.

With Internet access almost universal across the UK and a young, tech-savvy audience fully clued-up on the wonders of on-demand content, little wonder that new ways to consume content are being gobbled up across the country. Unfortunately for content providers, those methods aren’t always official. In fact, all signs point to an uptick in illegal content consumption from a range of relatively new devices which excel when it comes to ease of access.

We’re talking about software such as Kodi, the legal media player that can be super-charged to provide a full-on piracy experience. Or custom Android apps like Showbox, Terrarium TV and Mobdro, each capable of delivering premium movies, TV shows and sport, without the user ever paying a penny.

The popularity of illegal streaming has prompted market research firm YouGov to conduct a survey on the consumption habits of Brits, with the company concluding that such services pose a “major threat” to TV subscription brands in the UK.

According to its “Illegal Streaming” survey, just short of five million people in the UK are using pirate TV streaming services. YouGov says that around 10% of the adult population (4.9m people) currently have access to custom Kodi boxes, modified Fire TV sticks, and illegal streaming apps running on smartphones and tablets.

The part that will send shudders down the spines of companies like Sky, Virgin and BT – who are not only ISPs but major content providers too – is that pirate consumers are backing away from premium services.

YouGov says that one out of every seven ‘pirate’ streamers say that their use of unauthorized platforms has caused them to cancel “at least one subscription service.” The market researchers note that the actual number of subscriptions is likely to be lower due to the discrepancy between households and individuals but still, the numbers remain significant.

For now at least, there is a significant number of people who maintain both legal subscriptions and parallel pirate setups. However, YouGov reports that almost a third of pirates (31%) say they will cancel official subscriptions during the next 12 months.

There can be little doubt that the rise of so-called “living room” streaming can be attributed to word-of-mouth marketing, with people finding excitement in the range of content on offer for a negligible outlay. With that in mind, YouGov reports that six out of ten pirates say they intend to promote the availability of unauthorized services to both friends and family.

If the growth that promotion fuels meets YouGov’s expectations, the numbers of people getting into the piracy scene could be significant. The market research company reports that 2.6 million non-pirates say they’re preparing to start using illegal streaming platforms in the future, with 400,000 predicting involvement within the next 90 days.

And here’s the problem. YouGov reports that almost 90% of these non-pirates currently have a subscription to an official TV service but should they get involved, almost half are predicting that they will cancel them within 12 months of obtaining a pirate device.

Over in the United States, it was recently reported that more than half of all millennials regularly use pirate streaming services to watch TV shows or movies. The numbers in the UK aren’t so high, but they remain significant nonetheless. According to YouGov, 18 to 34-year-olds account for 37% of pirate users, around 1.8 million people.

The survey also touched on people’s attitudes towards unauthorized streaming, and it comes as no surprise that many feel the high prices of genuine products justifies the use of illicit alternatives.

Bundled packaging means that people in the UK are often required to spend large amounts of money on channels they don’t even watch, so when cheaper options are made available, few have sympathy for what are perceived to be rich content providers.

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Five Million Brits Go Crazy For Illegal Streaming

Bring it on I say. I don't do it myself mainly because I'm old and afraid of the consequences but I do not pay Sky for their almost continous stream of repeats. If this piracy brings wildly overpriced services like Sky and others to their knees or at least makes them reduce their prices then that is excellent news. I only watch Freeview these days and in the highly unlikely event that I see a film that interests me I will buy the DVD. As for sport you can keep it. Overpaid narcissistic players, mostly on the football field I admit but every sport has it's butterflies. I do watch a small amount of athletics but that is available for free on BBC or ITV.

Thanks

Sure Sky does repeat much of their content, but this has always been their model.

They'll show a new episode at a given peak time when most of the target audience is watching, then show it again one different days and at different times in order to catch as many people as possible. They've always done this.

The there is the content which just gets played again and again and again. Not just on Sky's channels, but also on various other channels.

As for getting the content for free, well it is a premium service. You can live without having Sky TV. It's also not a human right to have it.

If you want to watch it but can't afford to, then that is a situation which many people will find themselves but ultimately it is theft. Also you're making all those who can afford it pay for your 'freebie'.

If you can afford it but don't pay, then this is much worse IMHO.

So basically I'm of the opinion that if you want to watch it, then pay. If you can get a discount, then that is better for your back pocket, but at least it's legal.

As for the BBC being free, what a joke. The ASA claim it's free. I don't. You ave to pay for a TV License so they regard it as "Free". If you didn't pay for your TV License then you can't watch BBC Content or any live content, including Sky TV. You can however stream content from Netflix & Amazon, which are both subscription services.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Scenario.......

Sky drops full package to £25 a month, everyone is happy

Result.........

Sky has no revenue to put back into programming, develop new products, program purchase drops.

Result of the above.......

Customers complain why no new programs, why no new boxes, why is Sky crap, job losses.

The current setup is achievable and value for money its just those that moan and groan complain all the time saying Sky's expensive.

If you cant afford it don't have it.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

@The Realist. What the **** has "affording it" or not got to do with this particular post. I strongly suggest you look at your avatar name. I can afford to have Sky. I choose not to have Sky because because 99% of their expensive content is either junk or repeated. I will admit that that does apply to all service providers which means that I do not watch very much television.

Thanks

Again if you cant afford it don't get it and people may think UK tv is expensive and it very well may be but as per the norm people want to pay peanuts and get gold.

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      @The Realist. What the **** has "affording it" or not got to do with this particular post. I strongly suggest you look at your avatar name. I can afford to have Sky. I choose not to have Sky because because 99% of their expensive content is either junk or repeated. I will admit that that does apply to all service providers which means that I do not watch very much television.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Hi pete.i,

No one has to have Sky. Even if people can afford it you don't have to have it. What is wrong IMHO is when people use alternative means, such as Kodi, to stream the content without paying a subscription.

It is even worse when the same people could afford to pay Sky's subscription fees. As for whether they are too high or not, perhaps that's another debate. However if it was too high for everyone then no one would subscribe.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Anyway Kodi boxes and IPTV streaming are all going off and that's 10 years to late and about time.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

yougov should pass on the names of those in that survey that said they used kodi boxes and do illegal streaming to the authorities.
      In my view they should all be done for theft with a criminal record and pay back a full 18 months sky and/or bt sport subscription or more for the number of years they have been found doing it.
      ISPs have all traffic information now, so use it. By the way do not think a vpn helps, it does not.

They even said in the report that Amazon is still selling these kodi boxes, i thought that was sorted last year.
      Wonder if anyone actually uses a kodi box or software like the old xbmc home media player it replaced, probably not.

Thanks

Known IP addresses that share illegal streams are going off and about time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast