Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Premiere League gets Kodi piracy court order

This is a discussion on Premiere League gets Kodi piracy court order within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Premiere League gets Kodi piracy court order - BBC News The Premier League has secured a court order to help ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Premiere League gets Kodi piracy court order

Premiere League gets Kodi piracy court order - BBC News
      The Premier League has secured a court order to help tackle rights-infringing video streams of football matches via so-called Kodi set-top boxes.

The order gives the league the means to have computer servers used to power the streams blocked.

Until now, it could only go after individual video streams which were relatively easy to re-establish at different links.

A spokesman said it could now target pirates in a "precise manner".

"For the first time this will enable the Premier League to disrupt and prevent the illegal streaming of our matches via IPTV, so-called Kodi, boxes," he added.

Football fans are urged instead to get a Sky Sports or BT Sport subscription, or watch games at a venue that pays for access.

'Pirating epidemic'

The Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact) declared that the use of Kodi software to watch pirated streams was becoming an "epidemic" last September.

Since then, there have been several arrests of people selling set-top boxes pre-installed with both Kodi software and additional third-party add-ons that make it possible to watch copyright-infringing film and TV streams.

According to a recent survey commissioned by the security firm Irdeto, Kodi boxes are particularly prevalent in the UK.

It reported that 11% of Brits that admitted to watching pirated streams in a survey said they did so via a Kodi box.

Doing so is not thought to be illegal.

"Accessing premium paid-for content without a subscription is considered by the industry as unlawful access, although streaming something online, rather than downloading a file, is likely to be exempt from copyright laws," Derbyshire County Council trading standards officers recently said.

What are Kodi boxes?

Kodi is free software, built by volunteers, that is designed to bring videos, music, games and photographs together in one easy-to-use application.
      Some shops sell set-top boxes and TV sticks known as Kodi boxes, preloaded with the software.

The developers behind Kodi say their software does not contain any content of its own and is designed to play legally owned media or content "freely available" on the internet.

However, the software can be modified with third-party add-ons that provide access to pirated copies of films and TV series, or provide free access to subscription television channels.

"Streaming boxes have steadily increased in popularity in recent years," said Ernesto van der Sar, from the news site Torrentfreak.

"Most use the entirely legal Kodi software, but some are augmented with illegal third-party add-ons.

"Nowadays people often prefer to stream pirated content instead of using traditional torrent sites."

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Premiere League gets Kodi piracy court order

Torrentfreak has a further "interesting" update on this -

https://torrentfreak.com/new-uk-kodi...-beast-170314/

New UK ‘Kodi’ Piracy Blocking Injunction is a Pretty Scary Beast

The new piracy blocking injunction obtained by the UK's Premier League is groundbreaking on several levels, court papers have revealed. Not only did the football outfit work closely with Sky, BT and Virgin, - who all have a vested interest, but the ISPs also monitored traffic from 'pirate' servers requested by their customers. Live blocking of streams will be possible too, with no immediate court oversight.
      Looks like the open internet is slowly being killed in the UK by all these court orders.
      Determined pirates will all be on VPN's very soon. Although I've never understood people paying for piracy since originally it was about making it free but when you are paying £10-£20 per month to access the "free" streams it seems pointless to me.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Certainly having to use a VPN does kind of make a mockery of the 'free' service, but even so, £20 per month for a VPN service is still cheaper than £40+ per month for a Sky subscription with Sport. Add to that BT Sports, Sky Cinema and anything else and the potential savings are huge.

However, for those of us who do pay a subscription fee, it's nice being able to relax in front of the TV and not fearing what the postman will drop through the letterbox.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

my VPN costs $9.99 a month and can even be paid with vouchers or bitcoin for anonimity and whilst netflix access can be patchy and Iplayer doesnt like their UK servers ( idc really I only use the free trials when a 4k series is out I wanna watch) it is pretty good and I consider it a necessary part of an internet connection nowadays. I am going to laugh in the coming days when all the firestick newbs start their forum wailing about how streaming doesn't work anymore. Still all that being said, big business still determined to go the block route for everything shows their complete lack of understanding of the fundamental problem.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

On my twitter feed there's been reports all week about services shutting down in the face on the new onslaught of legal threats.

I follow lots of this nonsense to keep a track of what people are doing.

Most of these groups are Facebook based so far (totally stupid doing this, IMHO) but I'm sure it will spread to lots of add-on developers based in Europe going forward.

So far it seems unclear if this will be removing the sources or just making them hard/impossible to access from UK IP's. If it's just blocking UK access then VPN's will still work but if they are blocking Europe wide access then this will be more problematic.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky