Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By Scubbie

Sky Will Request Persistent Pirates to Remove File-Sharing Software

This is a discussion on Sky Will Request Persistent Pirates to Remove File-Sharing Software within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; https://torrentfreak.com/sky-will-re...ftware-170204/ After years of negotiations UK ISPs are ready to send piracy warnings to subscribers whose accounts are used to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Sky Will Request Persistent Pirates to Remove File-Sharing Software

https://torrentfreak.com/sky-will-re...ftware-170204/
      After years of negotiations UK ISPs are ready to send piracy warnings to subscribers whose accounts are used to share copyright-infringing material. While the associated "Get it Right" campaign stresses that the emails will be of an educational nature, Sky states that repeat infringers will be asked to remove file-sharing software from their devices.

With help from copyright holders, ISPs will send email notifications to subscribers whose connections are allegedly used to pirate content. These “alerts” are meant to educate copyright infringers about legal alternatives in the hope of decreasing piracy rates over time.

In recent weeks the parties involved have put everything in place to get going. Following BT, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and Sky have all now posted advisories on their respective websites.

A question that repeatedly returns is whether people are at risk of losing their broadband access. The answer for all parties is a clear NO. Sky, however, isn’t letting its customers continue on their merry way without any repercussions.

“Your broadband service won’t be affected as a result of receiving this email alert,” Sky assures its subscribers, but it doesn’t stop there.

“However, if you continue to share content illegally using your broadband connection, Sky will request that you take immediate steps to remove or disable any file sharing software that is being used to share copyrighted content illegally,” Sky writes.

In other words, repeat infringers can expect follow-up communication from the ISP, asking them to remove all BitTorrent clients that are used to share infringing material. That’s quite a strong message.

This promise also raises a new question. What will happen if the users in question refuse to remove the file-sharing software, or get caught again? Will that lead to more severe repercussions?

The FAQ section doesn’t go into detail on this hypothetical situation. That said, many ISPs reserve the rights to terminate accounts of users who are persistent copyright infringers.

TorrentFreak also reviewed the advisories of the other ISPs, but none of these refer to such follow-up requests.

TalkTalk does stress that they won’t report customers to the police though, and Virgin mentions that they won’t share any personal details with copyright holders, unless they receive a valid court order.

In a way, it’s not really surprising that Sky has a more aggressive approach. The company is a major copyright holder itself and has invested “billions of pounds” in entertainment.

Whether their emails will help cut these losses has yet to be seen…

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

coipu (05-02-17)

3. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Sky Will Request Persistent Pirates to Remove File-Sharing Software

Oh Scubbie why you taunt me so :P

Thanks

Personally I think the corruption behind all this stinks.

The big companies in the USA have formed a company to tackle crime. Said company should, but doesn't, declare it's income source.

In turn the company appears to be sponsoring those who must enforce the law in this country and others in order to stop pirating.

Now I was always taught that two wrongs doesn't make a right. In this instance there appears to be many more wrongs involved.

At the same time, do I personally feel bad about downloading content? No.

Why not? With all the money I've paid towards watching things in the Cinema, paying the TV License and subscribing to Sky every year, as well as purchasing some DVDs and Blu-Rays, plus CDs, video tapes, LPs and singles over the years, I think that I've already paid for the content I've downloaded.
      The Realist and steelysteph like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dflour69 (06-02-17)

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

They will never stop piracy or anything to do with downloading any content like films, music etc.

The only way to stop it is make the original more accessible to everyone and reduce the selling price which will then make it cheaper for everyone to purchase an original disc, or just turn off the internet and that they will never ever do.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Also all the people actually producing the material will starve!! or be out of work.

What is it with you people who think artists and such don't need to live.
      You would be the first to complain if the material wasn't made in the first place.

You are lucky that they aren't notifying the police. If you lifted goods from a shop, you would likely be prosecuted, and stealing online is the same.

Thanks

@BurnIT : As I mentioned above, I've bought various items in the past, such as Videos, Singles, LPs, & CDs. I forgot to mention cassette tapes too. I've also purchased DVDs & Blu-Rays.

Can I watch the Video cassettes? Unfortunately not at the moment because I don't have a working VCR player. I don't have a stereo with a cassette player too.

If I copy a CD onto my laptop, technically I'm breaking the law. According to English law need to pay for the right to play the copy on my laptop as well, unless it's playing the actual CD.

If the CD gets damaged, I need to purchase another one. They won't replace it. They can't repair it for me either, but I only bought the right to play the track using that single medium until it's no longer useable.

If I go to the cinema I'm paying around £10 a ticket. I'm not sure how much of that ticket price goes to the people who helped to produce the film. I did a quick search but there appears to be no clear idea. One article quoted 80-90% of the ticket price, but this was after the costs of the cinema were deducted.

Our TV License goes to paying for the costs of the BBC to run things. It also helps to pay for the terrestrial transmitter network. A small amount of it goes towards ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, with a smaller amount going to the radio stations. Somewhere along the line the money is used by the respective broadcasters to pay for the right to play music and videos so that we may listen or watch the content.

A similar thing applies to Sky, for which I would hope that we all pay a subscription fee.

Once more we pay for the right to watch content or listen to the digital radio stations.

So just how many more times should we be paying for it all?

As for shop lifting, I think the analogy should be more like this...

Last month I bought a new pair of jeans. I wore them for a few days, they got dirty so I washed them. The next week I wore them again. I wore them yesterday too. I only paid for them once. Should I pay Levis every time I want to wear them?

I've also got an old pair. They had a few holes in them, so I cut the legs down and have a pair of denim shorts. Do I need to pay Levis more money because they aren't how they were originally made now and I'm wearing them in a different manner?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

But you bought them in the first place!
      If you started selling jeans with the Levi logo that you had made yourself, you would be arrested.

Thanks

True, if I were to sell a pair of jeans that I'd made with the Levi logo, then I would be in breach of copyright and trademark laws.

However if I were to give away an old pair of jeans to a charity, should they charge their clients for the said pair? After all, I purchased them a few years ago. Now that the charity is selling my old jeans, does Levi deserve to get a cut of the ticket price?

I don't sell copies of what I've downloaded. To me that would be wrong. I'm aware that people used to do this a lot, but I would hope that this has dropped significantly.

If I would like to purchase a CD and copy the tracks onto my laptop, then later transfer them onto my tablet and/or phone, the law in the UK says this is wrong. They were going to change it but the music industry stepped up to prevent it from happening.

Now as much as I would love to play the CD or perhaps an old cassette in my tablet, sadly it doesn't have the ability.

Perhaps I should also mention the mockery of all this...

I purchased a Sony CD player back in 2001 I think it was. It came with some software to copy my own CDs, compress them, and burn the resulting files to a CD-R. Now if Sony took me to court for using their software to do this, who would win? I bought the product from the Sony shop in Commercial Road, Portsmouth.

Thanks

I'm not disputing you using it yourself as you like once you have bought it (that is a different discussion and I would probably agree with you), but you would not expect to be allowed to steal a second pair of jeans in a different size or colour just because you have already bought one pair. That is what you are saying should be allowed.

Thanks

Taking a second pair of jeans would be wrong.