Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dolly Parton defends Ed Sheeran, Led Zeppelin and others accused of theft

This is a discussion on Dolly Parton defends Ed Sheeran, Led Zeppelin and others accused of theft within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Dolly Parton defends Ed Sheeran, Led Zeppelin and others accused of theft - BBC News Dolly Parton has spoken in ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Dolly Parton defends Ed Sheeran, Led Zeppelin and others accused of theft

Dolly Parton defends Ed Sheeran, Led Zeppelin and others accused of theft - BBC News
      Dolly Parton has spoken in defence of songwriters, after a spate of plagiarism cases against the likes of Led Zeppelin and Ed Sheeran.

"I don't believe that any of the people who get sued intentionally set out to do it," said the star, whose own hits include Jolene and Here You Come Again.

"I always worry about it so much when I write. You don't set out to try and steal anything, but it can happen."

However, she added, writers who do infringe copyright "should pay up".

Parton was herself at the centre of a copyright case in 1985. Husband and wife team Neil and Jan Goldberg sued her star for $1 million, saying she had copied their song Money World on the hit single 9 To 5.

The couple claimed they had given the song to Jane Fonda, who played it to her co-star in the movie of the same name.

A jury threw the claim out after just 35 minutes deliberation, deciding unanimously that there was "no similarity" between the two tracks.

'Horrified'

There has been a noticeable increase in the number of plagiarism cases since 2013, when Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke were found guilty of copying Marvin Gaye's Got to Give It Up on the single Blurred Lines.

Ed Sheeran is currently fighting two copyright cases, over the songs Photograph and Thinking Out Loud; while Led Zeppelin recently won a case accusing them of using an obscure instrumental track as the basis for Stairway To Heaven.

Separately, Sam Smith gave Tom Petty a credit on his single Stay With Me, after similarities were pointed out between that song and Petty's I Won't Back Down.

Speaking to the BBC, Parton agreed with this practice. "You should at least give them the credit if it is that close," she said.

But she stressed that songwriters can't help but be influenced by the things around them.

"Especially in music, because there's so much of it. If you write all the time, you're going to collect those things and not know it.

"I'm always horrified of that. If something sounds familiar, I think, 'Oh my goodness, what is that?' Then I'll track it down and, in my case, it's usually just one of my own songs!"

The country legend has just released a new album, Pure & Simple, which is accompanied by a recording of her performance at the Glastonbury Festival in 2014.

She said the performance was "one of my greatest memories" and a "highlight of my career".

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Dolly Parton defends Ed Sheeran, Led Zeppelin and others accused of theft

Whilst there are dodgy beggars who do lift passages they are few and far between (not counting samplers, but they aren't musicians anyway), it is worth remembering in western music there are 12 notes. Whilst numerous and diverting through the various modes of our westernised scales enough time has passed that everything is going to be similar to something else. This is why I enjoy stuff that is not only melodic but dissonant stuff too that isn't based on the western ear, as well as exotic scales and anything else that isn't the same tripe regurgitated in a different order.