Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By coipu

Torrent Trackers Ban Windows 10 Over Privacy Concerns

This is a discussion on Torrent Trackers Ban Windows 10 Over Privacy Concerns within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; https://torrentfreak.com/torrent-tra...ncerns-150822/ The level of Windows 10 paranoia reached new heights this week when reports suggested that Microsoft would wipe torrents ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Torrent Trackers Ban Windows 10 Over Privacy Concerns

https://torrentfreak.com/torrent-tra...ncerns-150822/
      The level of Windows 10 paranoia reached new heights this week when reports suggested that Microsoft would wipe torrents and pirated software from people's hard drives. Nonsense, of course, but all the recent privacy concerns were enough to have the operating system banned from several torrent trackers.

Since the release of Windows 10 last month many media reports have focused on various privacy intrusions. The WiFi password sharing feature, for example, or the extensive sharing of personal data and information back to Microsoft’s servers. The list goes on and on.

While we’re the last ones to defend these policies, it is worth pointing out that many other large tech companies have similar privacy violating policies. Reading rants about Windows 10 privacy on Facebook is particularly ironic.

This week things took a turn for the worse. Slowly but steadily reports started pouring in that Windows 10 has a built-in piracy kill switch. If we were to believe some of the reports, Microsoft would nuke all torrents downloaded from The Pirate Bay.

The truth is nowhere near as dystopian though. The controversy originates from a single line in Microsoft’s Service Agreement which allows the company to download software updates and configuration changes that may prevent people from “playing counterfeit games.”

This change isn’t limited to Windows 10 but covers many services. Also, there is no indication that this will ever be used to target third-party games, which is highly unlikely.

Still, the recent privacy concerns have some torrent tracker staffers worried. During the week TF received reports informing us that several private trackers have banned Windows 10, or are considering doing so.

The staffers at iTS explain that Windows 10 is off-limits now because of the extensive amount of data it shares. This includes connections to MarkMonitor, the brand protection company which is also involved in the U.S. Copyright Alert System.

“Unfortunately Microsoft decided to revoke any kind of data protection and submit whatever they can gather to not only themselves but also others. One of those is one of the largest anti-piracy company called MarkMonitor,” iTS staff note.

“Amongst other things Windows 10 sends the contents of your local disks directly to one of their servers. Obviously this goes way too far and is a serious threat to sites like ours which is why we had to take measures,” they add.

While this may sound scary, Microsoft has been working with MarkMonitor for years already. Among other things, the company helps to keep scammers at bay.

There is no evidence that any piracy related info is being shared. Still, the connection is raising red flags with other tracker operators as well. More trackers reportedly ban Windows 10 and others including BB and FSC are consider to follow suit.

“We have also found [Windows 10] will be gathering information on users’ P2P use to be shared with anti piracy group,” BB staff writes to its users.

“What’s particularly nasty is that apparently it sends the results of local(!!) searches to a well known anti piracy company directly so as soon as you have one known p2p or scene release on your local disk … BAM!”

The same sentiment is shared at FSC where staff also informed users about the threat.

“As we all know, Microsoft recently released Windows 10. You as a member should know, that we as a site are thinking about banning the OS from FSC. That would mean you cannot use the site with the OS installed,” FSC staff writes.

While a paranoid mindset is definitely not a bad thing for people in the business of managing a torrent community, banning an operating system over privacy concerns is a bit much for most. Especially since many of the same issues also affect earlier versions of Windows.

Luckily, the most invasive privacy concerns can be dealt with by configuring Windows properly. Or any other operating system, application or social network for that matter.

Instead of banning something outright, it may be a good idea to inform the public on specific dangers and educate them how they can be alleviated.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Torrent Trackers Ban Windows 10 Over Privacy Concerns

I wont link in this case but there are tools already out there to disable/re-enable all the privacy issues such as telemetry in all versions of win 10, I have used them with no side effects and all the chatty network traffic has stopped. Personally I'm glad all these ridiculous stories are making people think about their privacy at last.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Many decades back the UK used to check every, or almost every, letter sent in or out of the country, today they still check packages for drugs and other illegal contents, but they at least no longer open everything with a view to censor the contents.

Other countries do still practise this policy and this is often why their International post is often delayed.

Telephone systems were also targeted. Many years back you would have to book a time for an international call and pray that you'd actually get to make it. Now in the UK we can simply pick up a phone and dial virtually any country and connect straight away.

Again some countries still have issues with people calling in or out.

The practise of tapping a phone line was very popular with the Police and Intelligent services. All too often they abused this and warrants are supposedly now required.

I have an issue with the collection of all our personal data for no apparent reason other than supposedly to improved services. Snooping on our private lives is not good, even with all the issues of terrorism, drug smuggling, human trafficking and other national or international crimes.

Sure the Internet makes it a lot easier to communicate across International borders, but it doesn't mean that everyone who uses the Internet should be treated as a criminal.

It is one thing to be aware of the, as far as I am concerned, illegal collection of our personal data, it is another to allow security and law enforcement organisations to have access to it. Microsoft has a history of allowing such access, even if they do attempt to block some.

I learned many years ago that if someone wishes to collect data/information on someone or something or both, then they do intend to use it at some stage. Normally it is against the interests of the people that they have collected it from.

I am really surprised that there has not yet been any news from the EU regarding blocking the wholesale collection of data via Windows 10. Selling that data on to third parties should be challenged and as such any and all prosecutions from such sources quashed permanently.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Bugger this i'm going in my loft to find my amiga, I'm going back to generating pretty landscapes.
      Scubbie likes this.