Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree4Likes

Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads

This is a discussion on Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Instead of trying to find ways to stop people downloading illegally, these music labels and movie studios need to take ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads

Instead of trying to find ways to stop people downloading illegally, these music labels and movie studios need to take a look at how they are doing things themselves as its clearly wrong.

As an example, last week Coldplay released a new single 'worldwide'. I enjoy their music so I decided I'd be a good boy and download it from iTunes. I click the iTunes link that they posted, what do I get "This item is not available in the UK". The single had been released pretty much everywhere else except for the UK, so I went ahead and got it another way.

I find it ridiculous to be honest, can they actually blame people for getting frustrated and turning to illegal downloads. Do they actually expect people to wait weeks, months to obtain a copy of a song that is already widely available in other countries?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

I guess that the music industry still feels that it needs to insult their fans, especially considering that Coldplay is a UK band.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Well things might be hotting up soon:

UK pirates face intellectual property crackdown

UK Prime Minister Appoints New Anti-Piracy Enforcement Advisor | TorrentFreak

Of course if these measures do start rolling out, I guess more of us will start subscribing to VPNs.
      Fortunately these measures, so far, are aimed at people making money from the pirating!
      So if I give someone True Blood season 6 on dvd for a crate of beer, does that make me a commercial pirate? given the cost of the electricity to convert the mp4's to DVD format?

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      Yeah, my illegal downloads are about in line with yours. It's great to have watched most of the current series of The Newsroom a couple of months before Sky deemed it OK to let me see what I have paid for - but I would no more think of making a DVD/Blu-ray of this to sell than I would consider stealing sweets from my local shop. Nor would I feel comfortable downloading shows like this without a Sky sub.

It is this "tarring with the same brush" that has really started to annoy me. It makes me resent even more the wholesale ripping off of customers by the movie studios during the early years of digital media. How soon we forget that early DVDs would sometimes set us back the best part of 25. And don't even get me started on the prices of early CDs in the UK .

EDIT: I just had an email from the BBC trumpeting their new sci-fi series Orphan Black on iPlayer - a full week before BBC3. I thought this would be great since there is no HD on BBC3 - but was really disappointed to see the old farts from the BBC Trust are still blocking any HD on iPlayer that has not been broadcast in that format. Grrrrr. I now feel an illegal HD download coming on
      I'm not sure about Orphan Black...it was a BBC America production which has seemingly been bought by the UK BBC. I'm not sure how this would be judged by the piracy rules. I did download it from "Scene tv rips" but I deleted it as I had too much crap to watch that I never got round to. So If I downloaded it from "UK tv rips" would that be okay since I pay my UK tv licence?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Fortunately these measures, so far, are aimed at people making money from the pirating!
      So if I give someone True Blood season 6 on dvd for a crate of beer, does that make me a commercial pirate? given the cost of the electricity to convert the mp4's to DVD format?
      Technically yes as you have received payment, albeit the payment was some beer, that is classified as payment.

I know some time back I was chatting with someone who was downloading lots of films. He would burn them off onto a DVD to prevent his hard drive from becoming too full. His neighbour would copy the DVDs and sell them to other people.

Now who would be guilty of what in this instance?

I should add that the person I was chatting with never received any payment. He just downloaded all the films for his own ever increasing collection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12