Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

UKNova shut down as torrent website

This is a discussion on UKNova shut down as torrent website within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; I'm gutted about this. The site has been issued with a "cease and desist" order by FACT (The Federation Against ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

UKNova shut down as torrent website

I'm gutted about this. The site has been issued with a "cease and desist" order by FACT (The Federation Against Copyright Theft) and today removed the trackers permanently. The site itself has not been shut down and still includes forums and a chat room.

I must say I didn't see this coming, the site was a community and were very strict about what was uploaded, commercial material was not allowed.

Being a member there myself and occasionally downloading/seeding, I'm hoping they haven't decided to target individual users.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: UKNova shut down as torrent website

If they had only legal content then F.A.C.T. would not have been able to issue such an order.

I am sure that someone else will start up a new site somewhere else in good time though. Unfortunately it takes time to build up a good library and a good number of members to make a new site useful.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have to agree with Scubbie, if they did not have illegal content available, they would not have been forced to shut down. A "cease and desist" order by FACT, would not in itself cause a site to shut, it requires a court order, unless of course the owners could not defend themselves against the accusation and wanted to avoid the court expenses. If they removed any offending content that would have satisfied FACT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mindriot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: No TV
      Thanks

They had a pretty strict ethical policy relating to commercial content such as tv shows that were (or were about to be) released on physical media, premium channel, pay per view etc.. However just because they do not deal in commercial content does not mean they have a license for the copyrighted material that is linked. While their policy was(compared to most torrent sites) ethical in sharing content in such a way that did not financially damage rights holders, it still isn't exactly legal, they do not have the rights to distribute that content (or "facilitate the distribution" is perhaps more in line with torrent sites) .

Either way, they received cease and desist from FACT and it seems they do not want to deal with the prospect of legal proceedings or what damage that might do to their professional reputation etc and decided to call it quits.

Leading ‘Ethical’ TV Show BitTorrent Tracker Shut Down By FACT | TorrentFreak