Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

ACS Law. Gallant McMillan. Illegal Filesharing

This is a discussion on ACS Law. Gallant McMillan. Illegal Filesharing within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Originally Posted by randalf I think that this breach of confidentiality is serious enough for the admins to put a ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: ACS Law. Gallant McMillan. Illegal Filesharing

Quote Originally Posted by randalf View Post
      I think that this breach of confidentiality is serious enough for the admins to put a warning on the main page, as well as Sky to make a comment and contact all customers who may have been effected.
      ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

mattyhatty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A little bit of an interesting read.

3.1 of this file more than anything.

A payment for Ips?

interesting..........

BRITISH SKY AGREEMENT ANDRES GUNNAR BALLINAS OLSSON_ SIGNED PDF

YourFileHost.com - Free hosting for ALL your files -S

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post

Also, they do not sell the information. It will have been provided free, to assist with the investigation of the case.

I think they paid SKY in the end for the IPs. Have a look at the PDF.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattyhatty View Post
      I think they paid SKY in the end for the IPs. Have a look at the PDF.
      Sky should have every right to charge for any work done. This arguement has been thrashed to death on here.

If you read the actual agreement, then there is provision for Sky not to divulge any details without a court order, so it is not as if Sky were giving it away just to make money. They were giving the data away, at a cost to the lawyers, on receipt of a court order.

The agreement also contains no reference to ACS:Law apart from the initials AJC as a reference, and it is only signed by the spanish artist and not by Sky. I presume this is the guy who recorded / wrote 'Evacuate The Dancefloor' but don't quote me on that. So there is actually no proof that that agreement was actually brought into force anyway.

I do however agree, that Sky should have told ACS:Law where to go, just like TalkTalk and VM but at the end of the day, that is down to the actual ISP - However Sky have now said they will contest in court any future ones, so that is some good news.

As you have seen not all ISPs have made the same judgements. You could argue that TalkTalk and VM took their stance so as not to lose any customers, and to try and gain an advantage over the other ISPs who didn't challenge it.

In reality all that would happen, is those that did download illegally, would swap to that ISP and then use all their bandwidth, as they had confirmation that their details would not be given away to any lawyers / court order.

Exchange:
      Thanks

One could see it like that. Then if SKY was required to give the details to ACS LAW because of the court order then why was there a sum for the ips?

I know its a civil matter but why does a monetary value have to come into it if they were to produce the details in the first place.

Throughout all coverage , media / internet etc this law firm has followed unethical steps to try and produce unjustifiable amounts of profit.

I am one of those victims unfortunately. Ive done my research from the start even looking at companies before ACS LAW who tried this stunt.

The other ISPs made the perfect response showing protection to their customers. Sky did not.

And now.... my details are spammed all over the internet because of this.

SKY was only following protocol. Which is weak for such a poweful company. Theres no evidence that they tried to fight this they just gave it all away willingly.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

One could see it like that. Then if SKY was required to give the details to ACS LAW because of the court order then why was there a sum for the ips?
      Would you work for nothing?

Sky are a business, ACS:Law were hounding them for information. Sky had the right to charge 65 per IP (in my eyes that made it less attractive to the lawyers)

What you can see from that agreement, is that it was cheaper for the lawyers to provide more than 1000 IPs - And that to me means that if I were that lawyer, I would do my best to get more than 1000 IPs at a time to save myself money.

I know its a civil matter but why does a monetary value have to come into it if they were to produce the details in the first place.
      I would repeat my first paragraph above. In Law you are allowed reasonable costs, even for photocopying etc. Sky obviously would have to go to some expense to pay the staff to find the offending details from an IP on x date.

I know it doesn't make it right, but again Sky are here to make money.

Throughout all coverage , media / internet etc this company has followed unethical steps to try and produce unjustifiable amounts of profit.
      Sky haven't imo - You are entitled to yours. Sky charged for work done, but and a big but, only after getting the court order and not before.

I am one of those victims unfortunately. Ive done my research from the start even looking at companies before ACS LAW who tried this stunt.
      Sorry to hear, I know how stressful being accused of something you may not have done is. For the record I do not condone the behaviour by ACS:Law or any other lawyer in this respect. However, imo all Sky have done, is comply to a court order, charged the lawyers for the privilege and not stood up to the lawyers like other ISPs have already done.

But Sky are now going to do so, so something good has come out of this indirectly.

The other ISPs made the perfect response showing protection to their customers. Sky did not.
      I cannot disagree.

And now.... my details are spammed all over the internet because of this.
      Unfortunate I know, and hopefully no one will use your details to identity fraud or judge you.

You cant argue SKY only following protocol. Theres no evidence that they tried to fight this.
      No there isn't, but all the evidence suggests,

1) The data sent to ACS:Law from Sky was encrypted and the password sent by fax to ACS:Law
      2) Unfortunately ACS:Law (if I believe what I have read) had their faxes forwarded to email, hence how the Sky details were unlocked, as there was a password in the emails
      3) ACS:Law were forwarding emails between themselves, unencrypted allegedly
      4) Sky did not give out any details, until after the court order was received

Yes Sky could have stood up and contested, a mistake they probably regret now though.

Good luck mate, and I seriously hope no bad comes out of your details being leaked.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There's a story on ISP Review suggesting one judge has had enough of ACS, Gallant McMillan and the like.

[Also posted on one of the other ACS threads]

randalf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

we can debate the rights and wrongs of sky's position but in one sense they were stuck between two impossible decisions.

provide the requested info for free and get pilloried for rolling over too easily or charge and get accused of profiting from the whole nasty business.

FWIW I think Sky took the right position on this, although I would like them to have charged significantly more than they did.

Where Sky have been IMO completely reprehensible is that the emails suggest they colluded before the order and agreed not to contest matters subject to receipt of a fee. Surely contesting the order should have been based upon how accurate Sky felt the information was, how solid they thought the argument was and would the harrassment of paying Sky customers be justified from a business perspective, not from a how much cash can we get perspective.

The whole story has been blocked out of the Murdoch media, such as Sky News, et al. For a self proclaimed news broadcaster of the year to ignore a story that affects so many Sky subscribers, that is all over the BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 and pretty much any radio station you could care to name is quite frankly pathetic.

Sky still hasn't contacted me to tell me that my details have been compromised. I shouldn't have to find this out from the BBC, BT and Plusnet before my own ISP. I appreciate the work done by Skyuser, but in this instance it shouldn't be Skyuser posting warnings about bank accounts, It should be Sky.....

For these reasons I am actively looking at cancelling my subscription, Virgin media may be inferior to Sky but at least they didn't ignore the issue and took a stand. Sky didn't and now they pretend the whole thing didn't happen.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I appreciate the work done by Skyuser, but in this instance it shouldn't be Skyuser posting warnings about bank accounts, It should be Sky.....
      Thank you.

TBH It's the least we can do. When the story first broke, we were unsure how to handle it, on hindsight, we could have done a little more a lot earlier.

Good luck with VM!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast