Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ISP Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Free Fibre Unlimited FTTC Service

This is a discussion on ISP Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Free Fibre Unlimited FTTC Service within the Offers forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; ISP Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Free Fibre Unlimited FTTC Service - ISPreview UK After being delayed from last week ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

ISP Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Free Fibre Unlimited FTTC Service

ISP Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Free Fibre Unlimited FTTC Service - ISPreview UK
      After being delayed from last week Sky Broadband (BSkyB) has today moved to entice both new and existing customers to adopt their ‘up to’ 38Mbps capable FTTC based superfast broadband (Sky Fibre Unlimited) service by offering it FREE for the first 6 months of service (£20 per month thereafter).

The promotion, which comes hot on the heels of Sky’s move to offer their standard unlimited broadband service free for 12 months (here) and not to mention the 24 months free offer when taken with Sky Sports TV, appears to mark another attempt at unseating BT’s growing grip thanks to their inclusion of free BTSport TV with broadband.

Naturally the service isn’t completely free because customers will also be required to take Sky’s Phone Line Rental for £15.40 per month.

Sky Fibre Unlimited + Free Weekend Calls

* Up to 38Mbps “typical” download speeds

* Truly unlimited downloads
      * Inclusive weekend UK calls
      * Free Sky Hub SR102 Wireless Router – £6.95 delivery charge
      * Free Unlimited access to WiFi Hotspots from The Cloud
      * Sky Shield (Parental Controls and Anti-Malware)
      * £30 Activation (Self-Install)
      * 18 Month Contract

PRICE: £0 Per Month for the first 6 Months (£20 thereafter) + Line Rental

It’s a pretty good offer, although the previously free activation charge now costs £30 and the M&S Voucher has been removed. But the real downside is Sky’s lack of a high-spec router, which all of their main rivals can now offer (note to Sky: please add USB, Gigabit LAN, 5GHz WiFi and 802.11ac).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

wizard200 (14-09-14)

3. Advertisement
      wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Re: ISP Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Free Fibre Unlimited FTTC Service

Hello Scubbie
      Having had this fibre deal 38mbps unlimited thrown at me from all directions
      today via 'Text / email / phone & mobile I have looked at it from all angles &
      I am afraid for me it did not add up although I only have a speed of 9.2 mbps
      on standard unlimited the cost is still to high for the service it provides. at
      present I have sky freetime which gives me evenings & weekend calls + BB
      for £7.50 + line rental If I took this deal I would lose the freetime & my bill
      would increase by more then £12.50 Plus the sky SR102 Hub is not really up to the
      job when you compare it with others.
      I continue to receive offers from BT weekly but I just dont trust them after being
      with them for over 20 yrs before sky although the latest offer is fibre Infinity 2 +
      the same call package with the option of upfront line rental which sky have dropped.
      I was assured by an advisor that I would have to give up the ' Freetime' as this would be a new 18 mth contract.................
      Last edited by wizard200; 14-09-14 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Extra Info

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      I have sky freetime which gives me evenings & weekend calls + BB
      for £7.50 + line rental If I took this deal I would lose the freetime & my bill
      would increase by more then £12.50 .
      Is this just supposition on your part or have you been told by Sky that this is the case?

I'm just thinking of existing customers with Sky Talk Anytime. Will they lose their entitlement to free international calls by taking up this offer?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Yes there is a risk that you could lose your evening free calls if you signed up to Sky before they limited it to just weekends. I don't know the full details in this respect but it is something to check.

The connection speed for your connection should be considered too. Not everyone will get the maximum connection speed or make use of it even if they could.

Ultimately Sky are trying to get potential Fibre customers on to their product range and it is good to see them pushing out the different offers. As always though, check the sums. What wizard200 done is good. He's looked at the options and the implications of such an offer and considered whether it would be right in his case. Obviously do check those tiny details with Sky first. You never know what might happen.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms