Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cost Cutting Advice.....

This is a discussion on Cost Cutting Advice..... within the Offers forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi I'm Currently a 3 Pack with Premium Pack Sky customer (Movies, Sports) and 3 mixes: Knowledge Variety Music I'm ...

AndyMc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Cost Cutting Advice.....

Hi

I'm Currently a 3 Pack with Premium Pack Sky customer (Movies, Sports) and 3 mixes:

Knowledge
      Variety
      Music

I'm also a "Broadband unlimited" customer.
      This little lot is costing me 54.00 per month all in, which I'm starting to struggle with. From what I can tell removing any of the mixes isnt going to save me a whole lot, so It would have to be either sports or movies that goes. At the moment I'm leaning towards Movies since I barely use the movie channels, although the same could be said for sports as well (not sure you could call WWE a sport )

Now I know the moral of the story is "Dont pay for what you cant afford" - and I don't want to bore everyone with my life story/circumstances. BUT before I phone up Sky, does anyone have any advice for how to approach it since there doesnt seem to be a whole lot for "existing customers".

I could of course chop the TV completely which I'd be prepared to do, in the hope that I would be able to get some sort of deal "re-signing", but I dont want to cut my nose off to spite my face.
      (although broadband I'd rather not lose)

Strategy advice please

Andrew

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Cost Cutting Advice.....

Okay, no point in cutting TV as you will lose the broadband.

Do you really need the Unlimited Broadband?

You can surely cut back there. Curb the downloading etc.

If removing the movies, consider cutting back the packs and the movies, possibly only taking one movie if you really have to.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you don't watch Movies or Sports much, just phone up and cancel them. You may not get a reduced price offer right away, but you will. I cut sports off a couple of months ago and not much later got a half price offer for Sports, so I could watch the Ashes. I felt like asking if they had a "Watch paint Dry" channel as I would rather have that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I felt like asking if they had a "Watch paint Dry" channel as I would rather have that.
      That channel starts when the new football season begins.

If you are not watching the movies much then it might be worth dropping them as the majority of films on there are already out on DVD/Blu-Ray and can be purchased or hired out. If you are not much of a sports fan then perhaps you could drop this as well but it depends on what sports you like as the new football season is just around the corner.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah I think I'll chop the movies.... for a while anyway.
      Football... I guess the season ticket will suffice...
      As for the broadband, out of the 54 its only costing me a tenner so I can live with that (would have been 15 but has a 5 loyalty discount voucher which I've just discovered)

will see how I get on

Andrew

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc1 View Post
      (would have been 15 but has a 5 loyalty discount voucher which I've just discovered)
      This is only until January.

120 a year - only a tenner a month. I wish I was able to limit my cut backs like that!
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Since my computer is worth more to me than my telly subscription, I feel I'm getting VFM for the broadband, I use it most and no I dont download like a loon.... I used to pay 21 a month for dial-up :eek, which is why I dont think 10 a month is that drastic... or even 15.

44 a month for telly however is a weebitty steep. which is 528 a year... bit of a difference between the two.

I'm now waiting for a "Get a Job!" post. Beleive me I'm trying, but it isn't that simple.... like I said I wont bore you with my circumstances... suffice to say my disabilty doesn't make life particularly easy.... enough said.

Anyways thanks for the heads up about the discount, I will bear that in mind.

Andrew

geezerone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet FTTC
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you don't watch Movies or Sports much, just phone up and cancel them. You may not get a reduced price offer right away, but you will. I cut sports off a couple of months ago and not much later got a half price offer for Sports, so I could watch the Ashes. I felt like asking if they had a "Watch paint Dry" channel as I would rather have that.
      I cut sky sports about a month ago and no offers forthcoming. Never get many offers but then again I don't have anything from sky apart from 4 pack, multiroom and movies. Never understood how brand new customers only benefit whilst loyalty isn't rewarded?

Edstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Cost Cutting Advice.....

Hi

you could chop the movies down to comedy, classics, family, modern greats(movies1) or Action and thriller,Sci-fi /horror,Indieand Drama(movies2) and choose sky sports1 it shows the WWE and most of the football and would only cost you 37.50 for your TV package and your getting both instead of cancelling sports or movies completly

return2base is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Coming back to the UK and seeing the high prices for everything means I did some thinking. As I now want to add Sky Sports, I needed to really think about the whole thing. However, you need to look at the big picture.

Movies can go for sure as they are old compared to what is available online and you can download whatever you want should you need to watch movies. Some thoughtful downloading in the run up to a switch can give you a back catalogue you can add to over time.

You pay 16.50 for any set up plus 1 for each other. If you don't use them, then cancel them but for 1, I wouldn't sweat it over one channel. I have 3, kids, Discovery stuff and the one with Sky1 etc. I always have far too much to watch and can be very selective. Over many months, I suspect to see more repeats which are new to me because I have not lived here for years. I suspect that is why I am amazed at the variety.

If you use Sports to stay at home as an alternative to going out then despite the cost, you save overall. An example would be going to the pub to watch the football.

I think the 18 for Sports is very high but almost necessary, especially when you see what 18 buys you elsewhere. It is just 3 hours on minimum wage and probably an hour of average wages.

Broadband is just a necessity. If you are a very light user then the basic is ok but it is for little more than email. At 5 or 10 a month then it is just another necessary cost.

Bring in the mobile and you can look at o2. They have some great deals I think and top service if you believe the reports.

Whatever you do, you cannot escape the TV and depth of Sky in that department. As such, I don't think you can get away from about 37 or so for a couple of packages and the Sports whatever you do about the rest.

The only thing I would do is to structure the end of any deals you are locked into around summer time when sport is low on tv. If you forced Sky to think about losing TV, Sports, telephone and BB, they might do something to retain you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast