Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Currys offer follow up - check your account!

This is a discussion on Currys offer follow up - check your account! within the Offers forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; A word of warning.......I took up the Currys Sky+ offer in December and it all went very well, a smooth ...

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Currys offer follow up - check your account!

A word of warning.......I took up the Currys Sky+ offer in December and it all went very well, a smooth install with a happy and helpful ladder monkey on site. No problem.
      I had a letter this morning from Sky, "Let's confirm what you'll be paying", which showed that from now onwards my account had gone UP by £10 a month. Yikes!!
      A quick trot to "My Sky" showed a fee for "Extra subscription" of, yes, £10. A call to CS then revealed that I'd been put down for multiroom and that they could "see" I had a second box in use.
      Well I do, my old one with no card in the thing. I ran a third cable from the new, shiny, quad LNB and connected up the box in another room after the installer had left. Because I could. We can't get Freeview here and the terrestrial reception is quite poor - which is why I'm with Sky in the first place. It took a fair few minutes and transfer from the initial call taker to a second and then a long wait for him to confirm with me and his supervisor that I was right and had NOT taken up multiroom, had ONLY ordered a Sky+ upgrade/install and had NEVER requested multiroom and that I only had one viewing card which is in the Sky+ box. ( I had to be quite firm about it all). Sorted, and credits will be put against my account - which, by the way, was billed the extra £10 from the time of the installation
      It was all done very amicably, although you could hear an apparant element of doubt in their voices, just very annoying that I had to do it in the first place and via their expensive 0870 system.
      So, be warned. CHECK your account!

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Currys offer follow up - check your account!

Sky can only detect the second box if it is plugged into the phone line, the box's are programed to "phone home" every now and then. So if it is pull the plug on it! Of course if you do have multiroom Sky insist on the second box being plugged into a phone line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

And it gets better.
      Having a quiet moment or three this afternoon I thought to catch up on a programme I'd recorded.
      No Sky+ function! "Call to upgrade your subscription" message onscreen.
      Another call to CS and a pleasant chat with a guy who told me I had a second box connected - see, no telephone connection, but still they knew and no card in it either. I'd tend to think they can "see" any box connected to their system and that the telephone line is only used for accounts update information. In fact...it's only been powered up for around an hour since early December, when I checked it was still working - and that I had multiroom <sigh>.
      Back around the circle again while I explained the whole thing over, starting with my name, address etc. He said he'd put me on hold while he transferred me. Meanwhile, the TV was still on, but with the sound muted. As I watched, so the blue screen and "yadayada technical fault yadayada" message appeared. No channels and no onscreen EPG either, all gone.
      When the next person came online we had to begin from the start all over AGAIN. I told her what had just happened and she casually remarked, "Oh yes, my colleague just canceled your viewing card". Excuse me, this isn't my normal terminology, but WTF?? Despite going through it all once more, she was still quite relaxed about the fact that they'd literally stoned my card down the system and removed all viewing capability at the same time. Apparently a new card was on it's way and I got the distinct impression that, had I not persevered, they saw no problem in leaving me with a dead box until it turned up. I suggested that even if they'd canceled the card that I should at least get the basic channels. She was a bit perplexed at that, went away for several minutes, and while she was gone, 106 and upwards reappeared, but nothing down to 101. ( So they CAN control your box via the satellite when they want to ). She didn't understand why I couldn't get BBC or ITV and left me hanging while she went off "to see what I can do about that".
      I've now got all my channels back, but no Sky+ functions at all and have been left waiting a call from TS who "will discuss it further" with me. Pardon? When I fitted a secondhand Sky+ with a single feed LNB earlier last year, I called to pair the card and they switched on the record/pause functions at the same time. Why do I get the distinct impression here that I'm getting the runaround? Hmmmm.....
      Nice one Sky, when they do get it wrong they do it really, really, really thoroughly.
      Sky+, it's "free" if you're a subscriber, but only if they want to let you have it, apparently.
      Last edited by greyrider; 16-01-08 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling, or lack of it....

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I was pondering about getting sky+ don’t think I will bother now; hope you get it sorted soon greyrider.

Ps did you get a email from agent smith and crew….

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky+ is simply amazing, I recommend it to everyone, unhesitatingly and without reservation. I held out for a long time, thinking it a bit of a gimmick, not really necessary and anyway, both my VCRs where doing fine, thank you very much. A VCR and DVD recorder in one room, standard Sky with a VCR in the other and I could record two channels while watching two others ( in two different rooms, of course ) any day of the week. Since Sky+ arrived neither the VCRs nor the second TV has been used once, not for a single programme. Once you get used to the thing it really is superb - there's days when I don't even watch the news live!
      No, it's the way I've been dealt with by both CS and TS which has wound me up. On reflection, I've been clearly fobbed off, lied to and dismissed as being a waste of time. One almost went as far as saying that I was lying and HAD signed up for multiroom and was ALREADY using two receivers. We got that straightened out. One Sky+ with paired card, one standard box, no card, never asked for the service, never signed for it, hardly multiroom then. In amongst that, the staff have been polite, courteous and, seemingly, helpful. And, on a premium rate call, the last thing I want is to hang up with no useful result. I'm a customer, I've done nothing wrong, I want what I pay for and refuse to pay for something I've never had. Grrrr....
      Oh, and after some five hours waiting for contact, I got fed up and rang again. Around 10 minutes on hold then a good five or more talking to somebody who had to transfer me so left me hanging for another five till they got through to a person who went through it all over again for another seven before, yep, transferring me to someone who "will sort this out for you now" which left me hanging for several more minutes and then a bright and breezy lady came on to say "I hear you've been having problems, hahah, let me see" CLICK, whirrrrrrrrrrrr...........................

You can colour me dead impressed.

P.S. Astra, Dunno if it's the same one, but I had an email informing me of the changes and improvements to the "service". My reply was a little brusque and basically told them off to remove me from their database with a threat to report them for abuse if they so much as look my way again
      Last edited by greyrider; 17-01-08 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spellning, lots of it

Exchange:
      Thanks

And finally, hopefully, next month's bill will prove all, one call this morning got me straight through to a very cheerful chappie who went, "Umm, ooowrrawr,,,lemmeseeee, yes, right, OK, I've done that and it'll appear on your next bill". And an adjustment has already appeared on my online details. Maybe it depends on the time of day, catching staff when they're not under the full onslaught of calls and the related stress involved? Pass. Oh, and Sky+ functions are restored this morning too. Shame on everybody involved for not getting it right yesterday, customers suffer from stress too - and the cat may never return home after the kicking it got last night. And I missed an episode of Rab C.Nesbitt

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The satelite is a one way communications system from them to you, they send you TV signals and yes they can make changes to the box and card from there end but the box cannot transmit back to the satelite, so the only way they know there changes have been successful is when you say down the phone "yes the picture is back on" If they are saying they can detect the box when it isn't plugged into the phone line then they are lying, or as you say giving you the run around.