Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

O2 signal loss: Outcry from users as business secretary tells company to 'sort it out'

This is a discussion on O2 signal loss: Outcry from users as business secretary tells company to 'sort it out' within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; O2 signal loss: Outcry from users as business secretary tells company to 'sort it out' | Business | The Guardian ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

O2 signal loss: Outcry from users as business secretary tells company to 'sort it out'

O2 signal loss: Outcry from users as business secretary tells company to 'sort it out' | Business | The Guardian
      Business secretary urges phone provider to “sort it out” after people in Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Glasgow and parts of Northern Ireland go without service

The business secretary, Sajid Javid, has urged phone provider O2 to “sort it out” after a flood of complaints from people who had lost the signal on their mobile telephones. He tweeted “No signal O2. Please sort it out” as annoyed customers went online to claim they have had no service for up to five hours.

People in Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Glasgow and parts of Northern Ireland and London have reported problems. The phone provider, which had suggested that people reboot their handsets and turn their phones on and off again, said there were aware of “some issues” and “isolated instances”.

In a series of tweets, O2 told customers: “We’re working flat out (and upright too) to get these fixed. Sorry for the problems,” and “Sorry for all the effort you’ve had to put in Ems. We’re making sure our engineers put in even more to fix the problems!”

O2 insisted that its engineers were “beavering away and working to fix ASAP”. It tweeted: “We’re aware of isolated instances where some customers have intermittent access to our service. We’re investigating and will update ASAP”.
      Comment: In light of the fact that Sky recently signed a deal with O2, news like this does not sound good. Perhaps O2 will come clean and make it public as to why their network had a problem?

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: O2 signal loss: Outcry from users as business secretary tells company to 'sort it out'

As it said on the door of a shop I walked past in Brighton one evening, "Shut happens".

"Shut" seems to happen now and again on all the networks! I recall a day long outage on two occasions in the last couple of years on Three. And on the previous bank holiday weekend to this one, Three's Home Signal network was down all weekend. It's inconvenient when it happens (because it makes you realise how much you use and depend on their services) and, like all communications companies, they are totally hopeless at informing customers about what's happening whilst the event is occurring.

Bloke on the radio reckons that O2 & Tesco Mobile combined has about 1/3rd of the UK market, so a widespread outage would hit a higher proportion of people than a similar fault on another network.

I've just committed to another 12 month contract with Three today, so if Sky Mobile launches early then they have missed the boat as far as I'm concerned!*

(*Disclosure: holds Sky shares in self invested personal pension)
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: O2 signal loss: Outcry from users as business secretary tells company to 'sort it out'

With the likely merger of both the Three and O2 networks over the next few years, I'd say that you're pretty safe for now.

When Three took over the O2 side in Ireland they left the O2 brand. Instead of having the one named network they simply upgraded all the transmitters so the now both O2 and Three signals are broadcast. However I believe that O2 doesn't have a 3G presence on all the transmitters, but will instead have just a 2G signal.

When will Sky Mobile launch? Your guess is as good as mine. It would be nice to see something sooner, but I fear it'll not be quick enough. The competition has already made significant moves and Sky are now falling behind.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms