Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Got a "spare" O2 Wireless Box II and wondering what to do with it?

This is a discussion on Got a "spare" O2 Wireless Box II and wondering what to do with it? within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you're an ex O2 customer and still have their router sitting in a cupboard somewhere unused, you can resurrect ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Got a "spare" O2 Wireless Box II and wondering what to do with it?

If you're an ex O2 customer and still have their router sitting in a cupboard somewhere unused, you can resurrect it with a firmware change.

In its normal O2 state the O2 firmware doesn't have options for PPPoA username and password making it effectively useless for using with another ISP. However, if you download and flash the firmware* to the version offered on the BE site (Firmware for Thomson 585V7) you'll now have access to those all important settings.

HTH

* As usual, do at your own risk etc - you may end up with a bricked router. Don't do this if you have been migrated across from O2 to Sky and continue to use the O2 supplied router.

2. Advertisement
      dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Got a "spare" O2 Wireless Box II and wondering what to do with it?

Interesting I have 3 different Be boxes now not in use are they usable with or with out that Be software you quote?
      What use are they?
      I think after about last November when Sky did an upgrade to them for use on Sky they were never the same.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

I do not know if the firmware updates sent to the O2 and Be routers include some of the modules which have been added to the Sky routers over the past couple of years. If so you won't actually see much visible evidence.

Such updates include:

• Improved DLM which also communicates with the router to improve things
      • IPv6

For the DLM improvements search G.INP on this forum. I don't know at this point if this has been previously added or just added to the Be/O2 routers. If it has then you'll benefit from a better ADSL connection.

IPv6 support has recently been added to the most recent 3 of Sky's routers. It may also have been added to the 4th (Sagem 2304n). At the present time we know nothing more about what Sky intends to do with regards to IPv6.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Unlike the O2 firmware, the BE Thomson 585V7 appears generic and has no branding. Whether it has any Sky related hidden elements I've no idea but I suspect not.

For clarity, as I said in the first post, the 585V7 firmware may be of interest to someone (like me) who has an O2 Wireless Box II sitting in a cupboard with original firmware and never used.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

This may be the reason exO2 users were advised to return their router to factory default before setting up with Sky. It gives access to the PPPoA settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.