Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky & Be Broadband Problem

This is a discussion on Sky & Be Broadband Problem within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I'm with Be Broadband with unlimited usage, as many of you know Sky are taking all O2/Be Customers ...

Cartoonhead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Broadband
      Router: Be Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky & Be Broadband Problem

Hi All, I'm with Be Broadband with unlimited usage, as many of you know Sky are taking all O2/Be Customers on board from last years deal they had, I've held out with Be as Sky said it would be ages before anything would happen, I currently pay 18.

Now Sky have today sent me a letter saying that they will soon be moving BE customers over to their service, they are offering to move me onto Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro (Which is Fibre)

Now this is a problem because my exchange doesn't have FTTC, and there's no date that it's coming soon, so how can they offer me it?

Also the name of the Sky TV & Phone is in my partners name along with her bank details (don't ask it's been like that for years) as there's only me who uses the broadband, she has a unlimited data package on her phone etc, so how do they plan on keep taking payment as it's in different names.

This is heading for a car crash and I can see them putting me on the lowest speed and debiting the cost from my partners account.

Should I just move the broadband over to plusnet or someone?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Sky & Be Broadband Problem

This certainly appears to be an issue.

Are you sure that the offer was for Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro (SFUP) not Sky Broadband Unlimited?

Regarding the billing situation, I am not sure how they are going to handle that as Sky normally likes to have just the one bill payer per address.

It might be worth you calling Sky using the number provided. If it is an 08442 number, then check out the "saynoto0870" site to find a freephone or standard phone number to call.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mark2410 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

2 things, first dont let them migrate you. if you do youl pay more or less full price. if you call them to migrate early they will offor you a cheaper deal.

the second is that sky in comparison to Be, suck. ive just joined and my god they are terrible. so i would say usless you are poor and really really could do with the cheaper deal give them a miss.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
      2 things, first dont let them migrate you. if you do youl pay more or less full price. if you call them to migrate early they will offor you a cheaper deal.

the second is that sky in comparison to Be, suck. ive just joined and my god they are terrible. so i would say usless you are poor and really really could do with the cheaper deal give them a miss.
      There is nothing wrong with Sky BB - I moved over from o2 to Sky and, bar getting a slightly lower sync speed, have had no issues with the service
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

mark2410 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      There is nothing wrong with Sky BB - I moved over from o2 to Sky and, bar getting a slightly lower sync speed, have had no issues with the service
      well looking ot your little speedtest in your signature id beg to differ.

that upload is less than great, i got a solid 1.3 consistently from Be. Sky limit upsyncs connection based uppon down sync speeds and id wager thats why your getting so low.

also from my experience of Sky its cack. my parents have used them for some time and its appalling (they dont care as they never really use it anyway) and my own having recently moved is utter cack.

last night i was forced to tether my phone to get skype to work. Skys DLM has serious issues that is set up to deal with their typical (ie knows nothing about data connectivity) and so long as you can get facebook to load Sky dont care. additionally their back haul is overstretched and at peek times just cant cope. Sky is rubbish and its sole redeeming feature is that they will offer it dirt cheap.

but yes, there are those who will see no problem with what they offer. much like there are those who consider tesco value bread to be just the same as any other bread.

Thanks

I agree with you in respect that the upload speed is important. Personally this is why I wanted to get SFUP rather than stick with SFU once Fibre was available in my area.

Prior to switching to Sky I had a connection with 15.4mb down and 2.3mb up as a part of a trial. It was great. Sadly Sky do not offer 1.3mb on the upload unless you have a good download connection.

We have several members who have posted upload connection speeds around 1.3mb. Their respective download speeds were above 21mb.

Typically with Sky those with a download speed below around 10-12mb tend to have an upload speed of about 790mb. Those who have a download speed of between around 11-20mb tend to get an upload speed of around 1-1.1mb. Those with download speeds above around 18mb get upload speeds from 1.2mb to 1.3mb.

I appreciate that the above figures overlap. I haven't been picking through all the posts made over the past year and am relying on memory of the figures posted by a variety of members on this forum. It gives you an idea of Sky's DLM profiles.

Every ISP has a different way to manage their broadband. Each can decide whether to aim for stability or risk that for a little extra speed. Sky goes for stability first. With the changes brought in with updates to their DLM software, the speeds have increased overall, but the full benefits are only available with either the Sagem 2504N, Sky Hub SR101 or Sky Hub SR102 routers. If you use your own router on the ADSL connection, then you won't get thee benefits.

If you are able to upgrade to FTTC or FTTP I would most definitely recommend it. ADSL broadband is going to be replaced by Fibre at some point. The EU have set a target that requires that no one is on a broadband connection below 30mb/s by 2020. ADSL cannot currently do this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
      well looking ot your little speedtest in your signature id beg to differ.

that upload is less than great, i got a solid 1.3 consistently from Be. Sky limit upsyncs connection based uppon down sync speeds and id wager thats why your getting so low.

also from my experience of Sky its cack. my parents have used them for some time and its appalling (they dont care as they never really use it anyway) and my own having recently moved is utter cack.

last night i was forced to tether my phone to get skype to work. Skys DLM has serious issues that is set up to deal with their typical (ie knows nothing about data connectivity) and so long as you can get facebook to load Sky dont care. additionally their back haul is overstretched and at peek times just cant cope. Sky is rubbish and its sole redeeming feature is that they will offer it dirt cheap.

but yes, there are those who will see no problem with what they offer. much like there are those who consider tesco value bread to be just the same as any other bread.
      My sync speed is 14Mbps down/1Mbps up and the speedtest result was done over WiFi before I got my new Asus router so it's actually spot on

Yes, I used to get 1.3Mbps up with o2, and yes I miss it, but I knew what I was going to get as 1. I worked for Sky BB tech for 3 years and 2. I checked it out before signing up. I get the same speed in the morning as I do the evening so I'm happy with the service. I'm not saying you're not having an issue but you can't blame the service in general on the issues you've had
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

beneix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWIL
      Router: O2 Wireless Box II (Thomson TG585v7)
      Sky TV: Not on Sky TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With the changes brought in with updates to their DLM software, the speeds have increased overall, but the full benefits are only available with either the Sagem 2504N, Sky Hub SR101 or Sky Hub SR102 routers. If you use your own router on the ADSL connection, then you won't get thee benefits.
      That is very interesting (I am brand new to this Sky business, having just been migrated from O2, so forgive me if this is common knowledge). Is this driven by those routers having a particular chipset?

Also, as an O2 customer that had been promised that I'd get the same speed and that I could contniue to use my O2 router, those two statements do not seem compatible with your statement above, so Sky has not been entirely honest with us O2 customers. Since my O2 router is only connecting at G.992.1 at the moment, should I ask for a new router from Sky? If so, which one should I get? Are they possible to configure at all (I'm thinking QoS, port forwarding, parental filtering, etc.)?

Thanks

If you were to search this forum for the term 'G.INP' you will gain a lot more information on this topic.

Essentially the DLM software communicates with the router in order to get the best connection speed possible on a specific line. Without the router having the required updated firmware you won't benefit.

Not all of Sky's routers have the firmware which is capable of utilising G.INP, so someone could argue that technically you would get the same connection speed.

This feature/s might be related to the chipsets being used but it specifically needs the right modules to be available within the firmware.

As for which router to use, this really depends on what you want from your connection. I was under the impression that you should be able to get an ADSL2+ connection. You may wish to have a friendly chat with someone from Sky about why this isn't the case.

beneix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWIL
      Router: O2 Wireless Box II (Thomson TG585v7)
      Sky TV: Not on Sky TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I was under the impression that you should be able to get an ADSL2+ connection. You may wish to have a friendly chat with someone from Sky about why this isn't the case.
      Thanks Scubbie. I did have a friendly chat with a lady with a lovely Scottish accent and she told me - after confirming twice with her manager - that "our systems show that you are on ADSL2+". She seemed to be saying that the fact that the O2 router says I am connected as G.992.1 annex A is irrelevant, Sky's systems know better and I am connected with ADSL2+. How this squares with a sync speed of 9Mbps down I am not sure...

Since I was unable to convince Sky that I am not connected using ADSL2+, I am now forced to sit through the training period and watch my speed (I expect) not change, then when the 10 days are over I can phone them up again and see if they then believe me - and perhaps offer a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast