Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky.

This is a discussion on Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky. within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Scubbie - would that if were a nice shiny new box on the wall like that XNTE5. Heavens no, ...

Clueless3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Re: Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky.

Hi Scubbie - would that if were a nice shiny new box on the wall like that XNTE5. Heavens no, it's a box that's been on the wall of the house since Rasputin was a boy!! If it wasn't raining, I'd leap out and add a picture so that you could see it's so old it has whiskers.

In fact, to heck with the rain, here's what's on the wall and you can see it really does have whiskers on it...

Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky.-dsc_0179-large.jpg

Just wanting a new cable from the box on the outside of the house into a new Master Socket relocated upstairs, definitely not the cabling from the street cabinet.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Thank you for that.

A couple more questions for you...

Are the telephone cables to that box just supplying your home or are they feeding other homes as well?

Are you able to remove the cover and take a photo of the inside? If you are, could you post a photo of the insides as well please.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Clueless3 (17-01-14)

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sorry i've not read the whole thread as snowed under at the mo but if you can post a picture of the internals of that box we can advise what you can do
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

Clueless3 (17-01-14),Scubbie (17-01-14)

Thanks

Good morning and thank you both for taking the time to offer help, it's really appreciated.

The box on the outside of the house only supplies our house but at one time the were two telephone lines coming into our house.

As to the contents of the box, as you can see from the photographs, there have been lots of spiders in there. There are also six wire joints using two-way gel crimps with ports for testing. Only one of these circuits is live as we had the second line removed.

The cable that enters the house comes out of the black trunking just out of the photographs. It then runs horizontally along the wall for about 2 metres and enters the house through a hole in the wall on the ground floor and into the Master Socket. As mentioned, my wish is to have the MS on the first floor, in a location vertically 3 metres above the current cable entry point. There is currently a connection from the MS up the outside wall to the "new" location for the MS.

This fibre install is also a great opportunity to upgrade the telephone wiring so that I know what's what inside the house too.

Technically, I'm happy enough to deal with crimps and punch-downs as I've put LAN cables in the house which have needed sockets and terminations.

Thanks guys!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky.-dsc_0180-large.jpg   Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky.-dsc_0181-large.jpg  

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, one question, will you require external or internal grade cable to go from the BT junction box to the new master socket location? I guess you could use the existing cable that is going from the BT junction box to the existing master socket but you will have a few metres of cable going to a redundant location with a junction box.

Thanks

Hi RunITDirect - it's interesting that you should ask that question as I think the cable that's nailed to the outside of the house is actually interior cable as it has a white casing (other external cables that I've seen have been black - or am I dreaming??).

Either way, the current cable is too short to run from the external BT box to the new MS location and so needs replacing.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do you currently have an extension socket at the location where you want to position the new master socket?

If that is the case it would be possible to replace the extension socket with a master socket and the existing master socket with gel crimps and blanking plate or a junction box depending on whether it is flush or surface mounted.

This would of course be dependent on the condition of the existing cable.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok. Use external grade cat5 or cw1128 cable to go from the bt junction box to where you want the master socket. Fit new nte5 and vdsl faceplate to that cable. Use gel crimps to connect the new cable to the BT pair. All parts available on our site. Drop us an email if you want links.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

Clueless3 (17-01-14),Scubbie (17-01-14)

Thanks

Thanks fellas, getting a bit of a challenge to offer individual thanks now and so - a big thank you to all who are taking the time to help out here.

A bit of a summary...

Want to replace the external cable and move the MS to the first floor because the wiring is a bit of a mess with too many joints and the cable from the BT external box on the outside wall of the house is too short to just re-route it to upstairs.

When the recabling is complete, the "new" MS upstairs will then feed the Sky router, giving me the best connection in the process (I hope) and the "new" MS will also have two ES "hanging" off it. One will be run back down the outside of the house, into the house and be fitted where the "old" MS is currently living. The second ES will be used for a corded phone on the first floor. Need the two ES because I'm old-fashioned and prefer corded to cordless phones.

Overall, upgrading to fibre is just too good an opportunity to miss as far as getting the phone wiring untangled and moving the MS to where it, ideally, needs to be.

p.s. one major thing is still niggling - as I've had a maximum of two phone lines in the house why do I have three pairs of wires jointed? The cable from the road to the external box on our house wall was installed for us by BT after we moved in and has never been fed anywhere else. Presumably, I actually only need one pair of wires and so what do I do with the other two pair if I replace the cable from the BT box on the wall into the MS?? My guess is cut the gel crimps off and curl the wires like the others in my earlier pictures.

Many thanks one and all and have a great weekend.

Exchange:
      Thanks

One pair per line. If you have a multi meter check each pair. 48v is a live line. You should only have one! !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast