Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky.

This is a discussion on Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky. within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Folks, have just joined to clear up (I hope) SB's question re costs. I am a soon to be ...

Clueless3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Re: Another unwilling o2 customer thrown to the Sky.

Hi Folks, have just joined to clear up (I hope) SB's question re costs.

I am a soon to be orphan from O2 and offer the following based on the fact that the only service I had from O2 was broadband.

In my letter from Sky, which arrived just before Christmas, it said that if I didn't tell Sky otherwise, they would move me to Broadband Unlimited around February/March time and they would charge me £7.50 per month for as long as I choose to remain with them. They also noted that I was not tied to a 12 month contract and could leave when I wanted too. This took no account of the fact that I was given free broadband by O2 that was supposed to last until May 2014. Mind you, if O2 no longer own the circuits, they can't be expected to continue the free deal.

One of the things that I have done is ask O2 for my MAC and that got me put through to Sky Retentions with very interesting results.

After a small measure of persuasion from me, I was offered SkyTalk with weekend calls for 12 months for free plus Fibre Unlimited (40meg) at the usual price of £20 per month, again on a 12 month contract, plus a further sweetener of a £75 credit to my Sky account. No charge for modem/router, no delivery charge for same and no activation charge.

This means that 12 months of phone and Fibre Unlimited will cost me £165 or £13.75 per month, followed by renegotiation at the end of those 12 months.

Hope that sheds some light on things.
      Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      spunkbubble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0308360
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: o2 Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks davews. Kind of you to help.

SwordBearer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

To add something more to what Clueless3 says.....

I too migrated to SkyBband Unlimited from unlimited O2 HomeBband - 'by default' - on 9th December. My O2 monthly payments prior to this were £7.25, a figure I'd agreed with O2 after problems with my Bband connection last year. The agreement was due to last till mid-August 2014.

On 3rd January I received a Confirmation of payment details from Sky as follows:-
      Payment of £31.27 on around the 17th January (which covered a time period previous to the 17th) and thereafter what looked like a monthly payment of £14.00. The latter was made up of SkyBband Unlimited (Standard price £7.50), less £1 (Welcome discount) + two supplements of £5 and £2.50 for not having SkyTalk and SkyTV.
      (Note the daft practice of applying supplements for services not provided).

Anyway....
      In view of the discrepancy between what I'd been paying to O2 and my new payments to Sky, I sent an email to Jeremy Darroch (CEO BSkyB), referring to some O2 documents with sections entitled 'Important legal information' which I received in May 2013: These included the statements:
      Telefonica UK Limited’s rights….. have been assigned to Sky … …… Sky Home Communications Limited has agreed to perform all obligations under your contract’.
      I said I'd also read online and in Sky documentation that if I did nothing when my transfer happened, my 'payments would continue as before'

The response I received from a member of Sky's Executive Support Team was as follows....:
      'When your broadband services were transferred over to Sky any agreement you entered into with O2 whether verbal or in writing became obsolete when you transferred your services over to Sky.'

Any lawyers out there might make some sense of these conflicting statements - I can't.

However, I have decided to stay with Sky for the moment as the response went on to say .......
      'As your services have been automatically migrated you shall not be held into contract with Sky and can leave at any time without notice, however if you decide to stay with Sky after the 09/12/14 you will be required to provide 31 days cancellation notice', and...
      'It has been agreed that .....with the offers and credits that have been applied .....we shall request a payment of £13.00 on or around the 17th January , then 10 payments of £7.50 around the 17th of each month, due to your offer period coming to an end you shall then pay £9.92'.

The £7.50 per month above is explained in another email :
      '.... by way of an apology and as a goodwill gesture as part of the migration process I am able to apply an offer to provide you with free broadband unlimited for a period of 12 months, this will reduce your monthly costs to £7.50 per month.

So it appears that the £7.50 per month I'll be paying are the supplements for the services I'm not getting!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

I appreciate that there will have been a number of people who were with O2 who did not wish to be with Sky, but I am a little confused here.

I seem to remember that the contract terms for O2 Broadband were 12 months. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

If you had a 12 month contract with O2 and Sky purchased O2 in March 2013, how could your contract end in August 2014?

Between when Sky bought the O2 ADSL customers and December 2013 Sky had a team who were busy contacting all the O2 customers in order to make a suitable offer to get them to migrate with a good deal to Sky Broadband. Often these deals included the Sky TV package. However it did mean that you would need to move both the telephone and broadband package to Sky.

I have one friend who was with O2 (Broadband and phone) but got offered the following:

• Sky Broadband Unlimited
      • Sky Talk
      • Sky Talk Unlimited UK
      • Entertainment Extra+
      • Free installation of the dish and a DRX890W STB

All for the monthly sum of £19.50 for 12 months. He is still with O2 as he has a mobile contract with them. I have also let him know just how much the whole package would have cost had he not got the deal.

Sky tried to call him on several occasions before eventually getting through at a convenient time. On one occasion he wasn't in the country so didn't want to talk as it was costing him too much to receive the call.

Obviously the time when these deals were being offered has now passed as the opportunity to negotiate has gone. What I am saving is that the team were very proactive at getting people to migrate across sooner by way of some nice offers.

Will my friend keep the Sky TV after the 12 months? Only time will tell on that one. At the moment he's annoyed with me as he's got too much TV to watch and prefers reading books. I don't know why he's annoyed with me as I only let him know what the phone call would be about, he did the negotiating.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie - the whole Sky thing is a joke as it depends on the day of the week and if it's raining. Well, not really but it does seem like that most times.

I was offered the deal that you mention but I told the Sky guy that I had ZERO interest in their television offering and was told that I'd have to pay to NOT have the television package!!! Eventually, I was offered the variations as I've described in my earlier post.

Being a sucker for what appears to be a real bargain (unless Sky mess it up as they have in my earlier experiences with them), I have given in and agreed to take a year of fibre and phone for £165. So far, it's gone as they said it would. £75 credit is on my account, I've had written notification from BT that my number is being transferred, notification from Sky that my hub is on its way and an activation date for the 23rd; exactly 14 days from agreeing their deal.

When all is in place, if I have nothing to contribute before, I will pop back with an update and I hope that will be all positives and third time lucky for my dealings with Sky over the last 5 years.

Regards

Thanks

No problem.

I appreciate that Sky can at times be like any other company and sometimes things will go wrong. I do hope in this case it goes well for you.

Since Sky now offers Self installation for Fibre, if you haven't already, I would highly recommend a filtered faceplate. This should preferably be a VDSL filtered faceplate.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Hi again Scubbie - I have been looking at interstitial vdsl faceplates and plan to install said beast at the first opportunity. What I really need is a nice and helpful BTO (wo)man to run me a new external cable from the outside "box" to a new location for the Master Socket as my internal wiring (house not personal) is a bit higgeldy piggeldy and then I could re-do all the internal stuff.

Thanks

Do you have one of the grey XNTE5 boxes outside or are you referring to the green street cabinet?

XNTE5:

If you have an XNTE5 then you could chat with Dave at run-IT-direct and do the job yourself.

Sure technically BTO doesn't like the public playing with the wiring, but if done with the correct stuff, they don't tend to say much.

As for the wiring from your home to the cabinet, sadly BTO hate changing this. It only tends to be repaired when there is a reported problem, such as a broken wire.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Clueless3 (17-01-14)

SwordBearer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

I seem to remember that the contract terms for O2 Broadband were 12 months. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
      Because I had been on the legacy standard package with O2 for several years, my 12 month contract had been replaced by one which required only 31 days notice.

If you had a 12 month contract with O2 and Sky purchased O2 in March 2013, how could your contract end in August 2014?
      I made an agreement with O2 Customer Services in August 2013 that I would pay £7.25 per month for 12 months. These payments were accepted by Sky for several months until 9th December, when they informed me that my migration to Sky was complete, so my O2 payment scheme changed - 'became obsolete' -before reaching August 2014. How Sky calculated my 17th January payment of £31.27 seemed to me rather complicated, but in the end they offered me a one year deal of £13.00 x1/£7.50 x10/£9.92 x1 for Unlimited Bband (with no SkyTalk or SkyTV) where I can leave at any time without notice. I accepted this as a pretty fair deal.
      After 09/12/14 I will be required to provide 31 days cancellation notice and presumably will be paying £15 per month unless I can negotiate more favourable terms.

Hope this answers your Qs Scubbie.

Thanks

Thanks.

I think that your discussion with O2 in August would not be held up in court.

Basically Sky had already signed the agreements by then and started moving the O2 and Be customers to it's billing systems. It is most probably likely that you spoke with someone in O2 who couldn't give a monkeys as he/she was going to be out of work very soon. Trying to find the person and prove that he was acting legally would be difficult at best.

Anyway, as unpopular as Sky is with some people, the Murdochs don't own as much of BSkyB as they once did and in general the customer service has been picked as 1st or 2nd for the past couple of years out of the main ISPs. This isn't to say that none of our money goes to lining the pockets of the Murdoch empire or that Sky's customer services never make a mistake.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast