Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

O2 wireless box 5 - no adsl2plus

This is a discussion on O2 wireless box 5 - no adsl2plus within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by gymno Fingers crossed. Oh btw, rebooting / disconnecting while DLM is running is a definite nono. I ...

beneix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: O2 Wireless Box II (Thomson TG585v7)
      Sky TV: Not on Sky TV
      Thanks

Re: O2 wireless box 5 - no adsl2plus

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Fingers crossed.

Oh btw, rebooting / disconnecting while DLM is running is a definite nono.
      I know you couldn't avoid the previous ones, but avoid it if you can.
      Thanks for the crossed fingers . I know that rebooting the router is bad and would never have knowingly done one...but it serves as a warning to other O2 users that it seems various actions through the Web GUI can trigger a reboot or line resync - as also suggested by the post you linked to. I will not even look at the router for the rest of the training period...
      gymno likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Just got my SamKnows report card. This is what happened to my broadband when I switched from O2 to Sky (the switch happened on the 21/1):
      O2 wireless box 5 - no adsl2plus-speeddown.jpg
      Downstream speed: down.

O2 wireless box 5 - no adsl2plus-speedup.jpg
      Upstream speed: down.

O2 wireless box 5 - no adsl2plus-latency.jpg
      Latency: up.

O2 wireless box 5 - no adsl2plus-packetloss.jpg
      Packet loss: up.

All of the values have since stayed at the (worse) levels showing in these graphs.

Not what I was promised.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Obviously when you went on to DLM training speed all the figures would drop this was to be expected. I would say you will end up with a higher download speed than you had (12.41) when DLM properly completes, although your upload may be a bit lower.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Obviously when you went on to DLM training speed all the figures would drop this was to be expected.
      I know.
      I would say you will end up with a higher download speed than you had (12.41) when DLM properly completes, although your upload may be a bit lower.
      DLM started 13 days ago and with the router not having re-synced for over 8 days, I assume training is finished. I have a sync speed down of 10.9, while I used to have ~16 with O2. The measured line speed averages 8.4 vs. 12.4 before. Packet loss and latency is higher. Is this what you think I should expect from moving to Sky, all else being equal at my end?

P.S. I suspect that the reason I am only getting 10.9 sync is that the modulation is G.992.1, whereas on O2 I was on G.992.5. The Sky DLM switched me to ADSL2+ for about 24h, during which the sync speed - but not the measured throughput - did go up to what it used to be under O2, but then it switched me back down to ADSL1 again.

Thanks

I have been around Sky broadband and this forum for a number of years and have never seen an instance where DLM has set a line to anything less than ADSL2+. I can only conclude that there is some sort of incompatibility between your router and the DLM. I can't think of another reason for this. Have you plugged in a Sky router to try it?

Your figures show you should sync between 16 and 18 Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I have been around Sky broadband and this forum for a number of years and have never seen an instance where DLM has set a line to anything less than ADSL2+. I can only conclude that there is some sort of incompatibility between your router and the DLM. I can't think of another reason for this.
      I'm not alone - there are several threads about this over on the official Sky forum. Some people have managed to get closer to the old O2 speeds than others; perhaps Sky uses different DSLAM equipment in different exchanges. In any case, Sky did promise that we would get the same speed as with O2 "or better" and that we would be able to continue using the O2 router (not that I am particularly endeared to it).
      Have you plugged in a Sky router to try it?
      I do not have one, so no.
      Your figures show you should sync between 16 and 18 Mb.
      Exactly, like it was before the switchover.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I think i read on the official sky forum that somebody in your situation had success by completely resetting the router.
      I know nothing of o2 equipment, but it's usually done by pushing a pin or biro into a reset hole on the rear & holding in for 10 - 15 seconds.

Have you tried this?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Thanks

I have seen a few complaints on the Official forum, but none with your particular problem of not getting ADSL2+.

It may be worth your while to buy a Sky router on eBay, the 2504n is available there for a few pounds. Although not a great router it will work OK with Sky DLM. Here's one for under 15 - Sky Wireless N Router Sagemcom 2504N V6 - Fast Despatch | eBay you might get one cheaper.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

It may be worth your while to buy a Sky router on eBay, the 2504n is available there for a few pounds. Although not a great router it will work OK with Sky DLM. Here's one for under 15 - Sky Wireless N Router Sagemcom 2504N V6 - Fast Despatch | eBay you might get one cheaper.
      Thanks for the tip - I may just try that.
      I have seen a few complaints on the Official forum, but none with your particular problem of not getting ADSL2+.
      How about this one:
      Recently migrated from O2 - ADSL2+ not working

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast