Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BE/O2 Wholesale services to shut by end of February 2014

This is a discussion on BE/O2 Wholesale services to shut by end of February 2014 within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; thinkbroadband :: BE/O2 Wholesale services to shut by end of February 2014 Since the acquisition of O2's fixed broadband services ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

BE/O2 Wholesale services to shut by end of February 2014

thinkbroadband :: BE/O2 Wholesale services to shut by end of February 2014
      Since the acquisition of O2's fixed broadband services (incorporating BE) by Sky in early 2013, the future of the network has been somewhat uncertain. Sky began migrating its consumer customers to the Sky broadband service from the end of August and we have now been told that service providers on the wholesale network have been informed the service is due to be shut down at the end of February 2014, one year after the original acquisition.
      "We can confirm that as of February 2014 we will no longer offer wholesale broadband services. The delivery of fibre broadband currently requires a level of scale and investment which does not fit with our strategy to focus on digital services and experiences."

O2 Spokesperson
      The BE Wholesale service has been a popular service for high-end consumer and business customers, particularly prior to the uptake of BT's wholesale fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) services. Increasingly, smaller operators who were using the BE service are turning to TalkTalk Business instead. Any users on O2/BE Wholesale services are advised to contact their their broadband provider to discuss options.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: BE/O2 Wholesale services to shut by end of February 2014

Please note that the above is a statement from O2 regarding their Wholesale, not retail, product. There are various ISPs who have been selling access to the O2/Be kit. This will come to an end and those ISPs will need to look elsewhere.

Also on this topic is a thread over on the official O2 forum:

Re: Very misleading communication from BT - Page 2 - O2 Community

However, before jumping to the conclusion that this is fact, I would like to point out a couple of facts:

• To my knowledge no such statement has been made by Sky
      • Sky has a team of people busy calling the O2 and Be customers to encourage them to migrate to Sky's telephone and broadband service
      • The "News" clip is fake - unless Google can't find it of course

If you receive such a letter, please feel free to let Ofcom and/or Sky know.

In the mean time, regarding the advice from thinkbroadband, please remember that this is specifically wholesale customers with other ISPs, not those who were migrated from Be/O2 to Sky.

As for the offers from Sky's team, I understand that these can be very very tempting. So if you are still with O2 or Be I would strongly suggest that you check out Sky's packages (and prices) now, with the intention of using this information when they contact you. Do remember though that the deals tend to only be for the first 6 months or year, so please do your maths.

Also check out what the competitors are offering.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

BT are being a bit sneaky in saying the O2 broadband will be switched off. Although this may be true, what they don't say is that the service will be transferred seamlessly to Sky. I would not be surprised if Sky get them hauled up before Ofcom for this, where they will no doubt receive the usual slap on the wrist.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Checking into things a little more, apparently it is half right.

Any remaining O2 and Be broadband subscribers will indeed find that they will no longer have access to the Internet via the O2/Be kit. However they will be switched to Sky's kit automatically UNLESS they specifically request NOT to transfer to Sky.

This targeted mailshot is totally misleading.

Whether it is Ofcom or the ASA, I am sure that BT will be given a £1 fine or something similarly pathetic.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

O2 Wholesale Closure Begins to Hurt UK ISPs - Aquiss Broadband Hit - ISPreview UK
      Last week’s announcement that O2 UK were to close their wholesale division (BE/O2Wholesale) in February 2014 (here) has naturally caused problems for ISPs that offer broadband via the platform. Aquiss have now become one of the first to confirm the discontinuation of related services pending a replacement.

The Shropshire-based ISP has informed customers that O2′s decision was “slightly odd given how popular [the platform] is“. Never the less the decision has forced Aquiss to confirm the future closure of related packages but strangely they will continue to take on customers on the same platform, albeit with a specific contract expiration date.. at least until mid-November.
      Aquiss Statement

Last week O2 Wholesale, now owned by Sky, announced to customers, such as Aquiss, its decision to withdraw from the fixed line broadband market, indicating dates by which it will stop taking orders for new connections and by which it will no longer provide service to existing customers.

They gave reasons such as no interest in the product, which seems to us slightly odd given how popular it is. However, a pull out from the wholesale market is now confirmed, so steps on our part now need to take place.

1) From 5:00pm Friday 1st November 2013, any orders received for new Family Unlimited/Business Unlimited connections will have a contract that expires on 27th February 2014.

2) From 5.30pm Wednesday 13th November 2013 we will stop taking any orders for new Family Unlimited/Business Unlimited connections.
      3) Aquiss will announce the commercials for existing Family Unlimited/Business Unlimited customers no later than 5:30pm Friday 8th November.

Our primary aim is to help retain your custom. We aim to offer a solution that will fulfil the remainder of minimum contract terms

Sadly Aquiss was not yet able to say what the future would be for related customers and warned that they are “unable to offer any extra help other than has been posted above until after Friday 8th November“.

beneix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: O2 Wireless Box II (Thomson TG585v7)
      Sky TV: Not on Sky TV
      Thanks

I note that the new IP I got when I was migrated from O2 to Sky this week comes up as "Telefonica UK" (O2) when you check the IP. So I've been migrated off an O2 IP onto an O2 IP...? Is Sky using the O2/Be wholesale to provide us migrated customers with broadband?

Thanks

It is very likely that you are still connected to the old O2 kit.

I don't know, but Sky may have purchased this from O2 as well in the deal.

The other thing is that IPv4 addresses are hard to get now. I would also consider that Sky bought blocks of these off O2 at the same time.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms