Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Believe in Better - I do as I got a better deal from Be

This is a discussion on Believe in Better - I do as I got a better deal from Be within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by buddbuttocks I would expect DLM to set the upload rate higher than that to be honest. It ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Believe in Better - I do as I got a better deal from Be

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      I would expect DLM to set the upload rate higher than that to be honest. It might be possible to ring up and get it changed manually, although Tier 1 would have to get through to an accomodating CST advisor to do so.
      For the download speed, 798kbps upload is the norm.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      rm113 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ely
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I have an 18-year-old master socket (BT dotted logo) into which is plugged the microfilter that Sky provided. The router is, of course, plugged into that, using the cable that came with my Be Box2 (it is shorter than the Sky one).

(On the telephone side of the microfilter we have socket doubler which also provides the "extension" to the Sky Box and then another doubler which, again has an extension into the kitchen. There are no extensions wired in)

My cabinet is taking FTTC orders, just not for this village. I am pursuing that elsewhere but I expect to only get about 9-10 downstream from it as the cabinet is so far away. OTOH upstream will improve.

Thanks

I know that the ADSL cable supplied with the SR101 is longer than the one supplied with previous Sky routers as well, but just in case the older cable is failing (they do periodically), could I ask that you try the Sky one?

Not so good news about the FTTC though. Hopefully you can get BTO to resolve this. Whilst expensive, it might be best to get a new cabinet installed in your village. However this would be down to BTO.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I did use the provided longer cable for a while. Of course the SR101 doesn't give detailed error information but from the other info I didn't see much difference (apart from a tiny increase in speed) when I swapped to the shorter one.

There is a 'BDUK' program in the county but our village isn't due for 'intervention'.

Thanks

I can't recall when NTE5 sockets were first introduced, but do you definately not have a split faceplate? If you do, could you plug into the Test Socket behind it?

I am running out of other ideas at the moment. If the extension was hardwired to the socket we could consider removing the wire/s from pins 3 & 4 on both sockets, but this isn't how things are set up.

Another idea might be for you to consider fitting your own NTE5 socket if this is not what you have.

I think that for the Fibre issue you may need to consider getting organised with the local neighbourhood and see what level of support there is for getting everyone together and organise a friendly campaign. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get the local councillor and/or MP involved too.

Thanks

Sorry I haven't replied for a while. I do have the split faceplate. There is no extension wiring and using the test socket makes effectively no difference. The point still remains that the same set up gave me a better, cheaper service before I moved to Sky. However, for the moment the downstream is as good and it is only the upstream and the higher rental and call charges that are the problem. To be fair I did get a dish installed as a result of the change so I'm not out of pocket.

My employer gets less work from me as I spend more time uploading stuff but that doesn't affect me directly.

Thanks

Whether we like it or not, it will be down to the connections outside your home, between you and the equipment in the telephone exchange.

The engineer will have changed at least one part of this cable as he would have had to move your connection from the O2/Be kit to the Sky kit.

More to the point though, Sky's profile for your download speed range is locked at around 798kbps. Looking at another member's post a couple of days ago I noticed that they jump from 798kbps to over 1,000kbps when their download speed change from around 8,000kbps to 9,000kbps.

Sadly this means that you won't be able to achieve the higher upload speed with your current line.

Thanks

Well, things have developed.

Last week I got an unsolicited call from a Sky engineer. He was looking at the kit in my exchange and had seen some anomalies but also saw he could tweak some stuff to get me more download. However the particular vintage of kit in my exchange meant that he couldn't do much directly for my upstream. So we agreed he would reset the DLM and let it do the best for me.

So, for the last few days it has clearly been trying different things out. Today I've got synch at 5029/1057 at reasonable margins, which is better than Be, and with reduced latency too. So, at the moment I'm rather pleased.
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12